|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Not for us

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/22 01:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alex and Tee wrote:

I won’t sell it for a loss. Don’t think there is any reason to. It’s a 2022 with the 26,000 lb chassis and liquid springs and only has 5000 miles on it. If I can’t at least get what I owe on it I’ll continue to suck it up and live in it for awhile longer. We aren’t desperate and our site is paid until November with options for two more years at $4500 per year.

Oh yes . . . IME, you will sell your RV at a substantial loss! The question you need to answer now is, . . . How much are you willing to lose? Why? Because the longer you keep your newer RV, the more ($$$$) you will lose especially if you aren't regularly taking full advantage of it. (depreciation is the reason to sell, . . . ASAP) IMO, you are living in a fantasy world.

Chum lee

LouLawrence

Traveling the US!

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/22 05:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They already said they have sold the RV at a loss they are happy with.

Alex and Tee

Jacksonville , FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/24/22 06:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For the record, our coach listed for just over $229,000. We purchased it for $193,000 including sales tax which was $10,300 and registration/tags which was another $1000. We sold the coach back to the dealer for $171,000. So our “loss” was roughly $12,000 (not counting tax and tags as you would never recover cost of tax and tags). We used the coach from mid September to mid March (they take possession on 3/14).

This $12,000 is basically the same as if we rented an apartment for 6 months so, in my mind, we spent $2000 a month “renting” our motor home instead of renting the house we were in and learning a life lesson about what we thought we might like and didn’t. Could have turned out a lot worse but we walk away with our loan paid off and zero obligations. We are fine with that.

Alex & Teresa

2022 Allegro Open Road
2021 Colorado 4x4

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/24/22 07:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

Alex and Tee wrote:

Well the saga is almost over. La Mesa has agreed to buy back our motor home for what we owe on it and that is only 10K less than we paid for it (not counting sales tax). So it cost us a bit to realize that RV’ing is not for us and we will go back to a sticks and bricks lifestyle that offers more living space and comfort. We’ll do our traveling on cruise ships from here on out.

Thanks for everyone’s input and insight during this journey of deciding what to buy and what to do. At the end of the day we could have spent a lot more money on a coach and still not been happy. All the best to everyone.

So wait a minute, You think the RV is too small to travel in, but your OK with sitting on a plane for several hours and then sleeping in a room the size of a large closet?

I do agree with not full timing, but I would never want to travel by cruise ship or plane full time. maybe consider a nice used RV for some longer trips where you can come back to your house and relax!

DW and I full time, and go on cruises from time to time. I equate the cabin to the bedroom, and the ship to our rig! We have cruised on both small and very large ships, about 2,200 to almost 6,000 passengers. We have never felt for lack of space, except during the hot deal sales on the main deck!

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

LouLawrence

Traveling the US!

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/22 04:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have been full time living (and traveling) in an RV since 1997. We also enjoy cruising. We have been to Alaska twice, Tahiti once (really small cruise) and some Caribbean cruises. While we love getting pampered, we still love seeing this Country's beauty more than anything. The Pacific NW in the Summer, Las Vegas, the UP of Michigan (in the Summer!), the SW in the Winter, ALL the National parks, the Large Array telescopes in Socorro, NM, the particle accelerator in Aurora, IL, ME, Nova Scotia, Canada (have yet to explore nearly enough).....Geeze, I could go on forever. I love what this Country has to offer more than any other place I have visited or lived (including Belgium and Japan).
It's certainly not for everyone and Alex and Tee did what is exactly right for them. My wife and I just have different wants and needs and have enjoyed every minute of living in an RV for the last 23 years.

RetiredRealtorRick

St. Augustine Beach, FL

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/22 05:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We absolutely love RVing, and there's a time and place for hotel-ing, but I must admit, NOTHING is more relaxing than a cruise.

. . . never confuse education with intelligence

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/22 05:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alex and Tee wrote:

This $12,000 is basically the same as if we rented an apartment for 6 months so, in my mind, we spent $2000 a month “renting” our motor home instead of renting the house we were in and learning a life lesson about what we thought we might like and didn’t.
That's a perfect way to see it. I doubt you could rent a nice Class A for $2K A month

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens, PullRite SuperGlide 2700 15K
2013 KZ Durango 2857

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/22 05:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with your choice...if it's not working do something different.

But I would suggest, filing this away as a learning experience and possibly revisiting in a few years.

It sounds like right now both of you are working full time with no travel while hanging out in God's waiting room...of course, you aren't going to get the experience magical full time RV experience.

In a few years when you have more freedom, it can mean traveling the country seeing new and interesting places. With no work, a little puttering around the RV will be a diversion rather than a chore. If you do hang out down south for the winter, it's 3-4 months and the people will be closer your age and more likely to have similar interests...plus you will have the time to fully partake in the activities (assuming that is of interest).

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Rice

Wandering

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/22 02:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RetiredRealtorRick wrote:

I fully respect your decision, but I'm just curious about one thing. Why would you have to empty your black tank every four days if you're stationary in an RV resort?
I hope you're not advocating that people leave their black tanks open when stationary. But I agree--a 50-gallon black tank shouldn't be anywhere near 2/3 full after 4 days. I know people always emphasize using lots and lots of water when flushing, but there's a balance to be had between using a lot of water and having to dump the tank constantly.

larry cad wrote:

I'm not sure how your RV task list compares to your home task list, but as a home owner and 40' DP owner myself, I can't believe it takes more work to keep the RV going.

A perfect example is dealing human waste. In a house, you just flush the toilet and never have to think about it again. That's not the case in an RV.

And even gray water--in an RV, it's best to avoid putting grease or food particles in the gray tank, or through the gray tank if you leave it open when stationary (which a lot of people recommend you not do even though it doesn't present the same risk as leaving your black tank open).

Of course toilets and pipes in houses can clog, but that's an issue that's dealt with when it happens, not something that is dealt with on a constant basis, like the black tank in an RV.

Rice

Wandering

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/22 03:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alex and Tee wrote:

This $12,000 is basically the same as if we rented an apartment for 6 months so, in my mind, we spent $2000 a month “renting” our motor home instead of renting the house we were in and learning a life lesson about what we thought we might like and didn’t.
It appears you rode the wave of increasing RV prices perfectly. You really lucked out.

We've been fulltiming for 18 years, happily until the last couple of years. We sat still for Covid, and for that period dealt only with the hassles of living in an RV and didn't derive any of the benefits of travel that make up for it. It was eye opening.

It sounds like your experience is pretty much the same as our Covid experience--living in the confined space and dealing with the hassles of an RV, with no benefit that you wouldn't have in an apartment or house. So I completely understand why you'd be dissatisfied.

Also, when we began fulltiming, I was 41 and my boyfriend was 31, so I very much understand your not feeling like you have a lot in common with the majority of residents in a Casa Grande RV park. Even now, the most I can come up with is that older people tend to be quieter than younger people, and I like that. But that's merely coexistence, and most people want something deeper.

Perhaps you could have done more research, but I'm not sure that would have helped because so much of the information these days has an agenda. Back in 2002, anything on the internet was there just because someone wanted to share, and not to make money. There was a lot less information, but it was more transparent and reliable.

Shoot--we had to come up with even the idea of selling our houses and traveling around in an RV, and then go looking for information about it. Had never heard of such a thing. Is there anybody these days who's not at least aware that the lifestyle exists? And since that awareness comes from lifestyle blogs and youtube channels, it comes with a curated portrayal of the lifestyle.

Are you going to make a bunch of youtube videos about how and why it didn't work out for you? I doubt it. They'd probably be really useful information, but they wouldn't be popular because people gravitate to upbeat aspirational content, with maybe an occasional (and no doubt portrayed as ultimately amusing) setback.

And sure, you could have done a deep dive into workcamping and found out that it very often involves cleaning toilets, but that's certainly not how it's pimped. Instead, the focus is on getting a full hookup site for free in exchange for a few hours of work around the campground. Details, details. And details aren't what draw eyes to websites.

Again, I'm glad you were able to get out of this relatively unscathed. And perhaps in the future, when your wife doesn't need or want to be working any more, you can experience fulltiming in what I consider the "classic" way--traveling all around in a way that you can't really do as standalone vacations. Maybe by then, the pressure on campgrounds will have alleviated, and you could experience the gold standard of fulltiming that is increasingly hard these days--traveling around without making reservations or even having an agenda. (Assuming that would even appeal to you, of course.)

Regardless, thanks for sharing your story. It's a useful counterpoint to all the rah rah rah-ing that's out there.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Not for us
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.