|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Rant - getting someone to work on a Class C motorhome

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
wenglish

Pierce County, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/22 09:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the responses everyone.

I didn't intend this rant to focus on the catalytic converter specifically, it's more a rant about how Chevy dealers won't work on motorhomes even though they work on equivalent vehicles, and RV repair places won't do "chassis work".

I don't *want* to use a dealer for this particular problem, but they were part of the ton of places I called.

I also was not trying to get an estimate, the shop I chose (and will probably be using) *insisted* I bring it in for him to see first. He won't give me a repair appointment until I have done that. I would have been happy for him to order the parts based on my description (and charge me up-front for them) and schedule the work.

Oh, and yeah, he may not have a lift big enough either, but at least he's willing to look at it so long as it's not raining too much that day :-D

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/22 12:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Part of the problem for dealers is the add on items blocking standard chassis parts. For example my Sprinter has a fresh water tank, two batteries and a generator hung underneath. The exhaust is routed around some of these. During a recent Sprinter recall involving the exhaust system there were reports of people having to get “someone else” to remove a water tank then Mercedes would fix the recall. Hard to blame the dealer for that call.

Dave

Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

wenglish

Pierce County, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/22 07:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's a good point Dave.

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/22 10:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

magicbus wrote:

Part of the problem for dealers is the add on items blocking standard chassis parts. For example my Sprinter has a fresh water tank, two batteries and a generator hung underneath. The exhaust is routed around some of these. During a recent Sprinter recall involving the exhaust system there were reports of people having to get “someone else” to remove a water tank then Mercedes would fix the recall. Hard to blame the dealer for that call.

Dave

Dealers like to go by their flat rate book, and the book is of no use in that situation. For a recall, they are getting a set amount for the repair, and you can bet that's based on a standard van.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/22 02:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes that’s really the point. My mechanic stepson taught me all about the flat rate book. I don’t think dealers even do time and materials anymore. Given the “maybes” with an RV I can see why a dealer wouldn’t want to touch one.

Dave

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Rant - getting someone to work on a Class C motorhome
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.