|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Battery upgrade, maybe solar option also

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/22 01:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

E-mail me I will show you what I did for a lithium battery upgrade.
4 ,, 100 amp hour battelborn batteries,
powered by a victron 3000 watt inverter.( corrected)

this will proving about 4 days of battery power.

due to the different charge rates you must separate the lead acid chassis batteries and the lithium house batteries, then provide a charing system for the chassis batteries.

a 2-5 amp charger should be enough to keep the chassis batteries charged while the coach is idle.

I also installed a 30amp DC to DC charger to charge the house while the engine is running.

we have the system in service for about 1 year, 0 problem so far.

nc19143 @ Comcast. net place "battery options" as the e-mail subject..

* This post was edited 02/16/22 01:31pm by Tom/Barb *

2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/22 01:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Simply remember.
A lithium batteries can be discharged to 90 % of it's capacity, while a Lead-acid can only discharged to 50% of its capacity. lithium can be charged to 100% while lean-acid will only be charged to 10% of their capacity.

which tells us that 4 - 100 AMP lithium batteries will provide 360 amps. while the lead-acid will only provide 200.
Lithium batteries don't corrode , plus the lithium are good for 10 years of service.

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/22 01:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tom/Barb wrote:

powered by a victron 3000 amp inverter.
watt

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/22 01:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

Best place to get an education is no DIY Solar Power with Will process on YouTube.
Will Prowse

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/22 03:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

$4,5000 is a huge price for 2 panels and 4 batteries. A 150 watt panel should only cost about $150 each. A group 31 AGM is about $350 each. You'll need a charge controller for maybe $400. That's $1,750 worth of major parts. Throw in $250 for mounting brackets and wire and they're charging you about $2,500 for the labor.

I'd make sure your converter is really charging the batteries fully. It's probably not as most converters are fairly poor.

I don't believe lithium is worth the money for most people and the cold temperature limitation is a problem. I install off grid solar systems for a living and I rarely use lithium batteries because most mountain top cabins go unused and unheated all winter.

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/22 03:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KD4UPL wrote:

I don't believe lithium is worth the money for most people
In the long run it may be, but it's the up-front cost that's the scary part.

Lwiddis

Southern California :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/22 04:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“A group 31 AGM is about $350 each.”

A 200 amp hour Lithium is priced below $700. See…

https://www.amazon.com/LOSSIGY-Maintenance-Free-Perfectly-Batteries-Application/dp/B08S7799BD/ref=asc_df_B08S7799BD/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=485450968700&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16993605537789544832&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031138&hvtargid=pla-1156127055106&psc=1

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

otrfun

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/22 05:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quint Da Man wrote:

. . . I have a 2020 Thor Class C, it has 2 house batteries. Last year we joined Harvest Host and did a little more boondocking than usual. I found that the house batteries seem to drop below acceptable levels in about 4 or 5 hours of light duty use (TV and a few lights for a couple of hours). What happens is all the electronic devises hooked up to the battery system I.E. CO2, Leveling system, Fire alarm all start beeping at around 2am. The only thing that is running after around 10pm is the refrigerator and those smaller electronic devises . . .
If I were in your shoes, I'd want to do some kind of energy audit before going any further. I'd want to know how many ah's equate to "4 or 5 hours of light duty use". This data would help size any future system. Plus, it would be the perfect time to verify there are no high current parasitic situations drawing down your batteries excessively. You'd definitely want to rectify that problem before proceeding.

Have you had your 2 house batteries load-tested? Bad cells in relatively new batteries is not unheard of. It takes a fair amount of current, roughly 20-25a, to draw down two properly charged mid-sized, Group 27 12v batteries to 50% SOC in 4 or 5 hours. If you're hearing alarms, odds are the batteries are being discharged much lower than 50% SOC. This significantly reduces their longevity, ah capability and compounds your problem. Unless you're powering a residential fridge or some other higher current device, something doesn't sound quite right.

A voltmeter and a clamp-on DC ammeter would help answer all these questions in relatively short order.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/22 06:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quint Da Man wrote:

I live in Massachusetts and early spring late fall camping have many a night below freezing.

2 recent videos from Will Prowse.

CHINS $579 12V 100Ah, with heaters: Actually impressive!

LiFePO4 Cold Temperature Misconceptions: Do you really need internal heaters?

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/22 06:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KD4UPL wrote:

A group 31 AGM is about $350 each.

A pair of 6V golf cart batteries from Sam's Club or Costco cost about $200 and will have as much or more energy storage as those Group 31.
Tes, you have to add water.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Battery upgrade, maybe solar option also
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2023 CWI, Inc. © 2023 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.