|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tires---Ouch

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
Sponsored By:
BurbMan

Indianapolis, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/22 10:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was going to buy new tires before the winter weather came around, but the prices were kind of high so I decided to wait...well, prices are higher now and going up! Bridgestone, Michelin, Goodyear all north of $300/tire with some of the better tires at or a little over $400/tire [emoticon]

Dadoffourgirls

China, MI USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/22 11:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some financial dogs would suggest that you not buy new tires. The lack of demand will bring the price back down where you expect.

I am glad that I have been running a summer set and winter set on each of my vehicles, so I have a few years before I will need to buy again.

Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/22 11:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How long can you wait? Another 3 or 4 years? It can only get worse.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

Hank85713

Tucson, Az

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/22 11:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

check craigslist or whatever you have locally. Out here there are always new vehicle takeoff offered and there also a lot of independent tire sellers. Yes I know the costs are high as I had a bridgestone with a slipped tread over $1000 to replace all on rear with 1 being adjusted out. Had a tire separation on my F350 a couple of years ago tore up the bed on truck, called bridgestone who recommeded I go to their tires since its used mainly on highway. Again over $1000 with all being adjusted out per the manuf with the shop.

SO just need to shop around or travel out your area for possible better deals.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/22 11:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look at Toyo. Mine are about to age out. No problems for 7 years.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

ksss

Eastern Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/22 12:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your not particular about what tire your running, the take offs are by far the best deal.

I went through Simple Tire and found for 265/70/18 which I assume close to your size, the Nitto G2 was 240 a tire, Toyo AT3 was 270 and Falcon Wildcat AT was 275. I found that I can buy these tires locally, installed at these prices, your mileage may vary. I have run or am running all of these. I think the Falcon is the better all around tire. The G2 for us lasted a long time, if Winters were not so brutal here, it could have went longer even.

2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/22 12:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buying a new vehicle right now when you don't need to and complaining about the price makes about as much sense as buying new tires right now when you don't need to and complaining about the price.

If you are in the financial position to buy new at current prices, and you just have to satisfy that urge, you've got no business complaining.

We are still in that phase of "may as well buy now, it's only going to get worse." It can't get worse forever.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/22 12:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

Buying a new vehicle right now when you don't need to and complaining about the price makes about as much sense as buying new tires right now when you don't need to and complaining about the price.

If you are in the financial position to buy new at current prices, and you just have to satisfy that urge, you've got no business complaining.

We are still in that phase of "may as well buy now, it's only going to get worse." It can't get worse forever.

This is as accurate and succinct of a statement as I could ever read!
(Not directed at you Burbman, but in general, I'm almost enjoying seeing the fiscal irresponsibility of many, just like during the lending crisis or whatever it was called, in the early 2000s.)

I'm just hanging back waiting for all the bad decisions to become good deals!

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/22 12:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ksss wrote:

If your not particular about what tire your running, the take offs are by far the best deal.

How do you get takeoffs when there are no new trucks out there to take them off of?

ksss

Eastern Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/22 12:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are new trucks still being bought. I would contact tire dealers in your area and ask to be called if someone trades in their take offs. Locally the tire shop I use, had so many takeoffs they wouldn't take my take offs as trade. That fluctuates but if you want to save money on tires that's the way to do it. Certainly not as easy as buying new off the shelf, but you can save a $100 a tire.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tires---Ouch
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.