RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Tires---Ouch

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Tires---Ouch

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/27/22 11:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

monkey44 wrote:

BFG Has been our brand consistantly since the 1980's ... We also try to save money when practical, but our lives and those of our kids and grandkids ride on our tires.

Tires, whether on a truck or on a trailer or on a MH, is not the place we'd choose save a buck. Didn't scrimp on MC tires either. [emoticon]


Never scrimped on tires and with way over one million miles under my belt I have had ONE blowout.


One blowout? Didn’t you just start a thread about losing more than one tire just on your trailer in the last year or however long?


2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/27/22 11:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

monkey44 wrote:

BFG Has been our brand consistantly since the 1980's ... We also try to save money when practical, but our lives and those of our kids and grandkids ride on our tires.

Tires, whether on a truck or on a trailer or on a MH, is not the place we'd choose save a buck. Didn't scrimp on MC tires either. [emoticon]


Well there’s scrimping and then there’s SCRIMPING. Save for some no name chinesium or tiawanesium tires, I strongly question brand loyalty based on the “safety” of one brand name tire vs another.
It’s simple economics. If ANY tire company made a tire that didn’t have an industry standard factor of safety ( which is a very conservative FoS) they would be bankrupt within a year. Doesn’t take many deaths associated with bad tires to make that happen.
Traction, treadwear, even longevity can be improved or debated between mfgs.
But the dramatic “for the love of the children” stuff is subjective, not objective.

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

Senior Member

Joined: 11/12/2002

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/27/22 03:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

monkey44 wrote:

BFG Has been our brand consistantly since the 1980's ... We also try to save money when practical, but our lives and those of our kids and grandkids ride on our tires.

Tires, whether on a truck or on a trailer or on a MH, is not the place we'd choose save a buck. Didn't scrimp on MC tires either. [emoticon]


I was a fan of BFG AT tires and had excellent durability from them until I purchased a set of BFG AT 2 tires. My truck exhibited death wobble 2 times with them and was lucky to get 40k miles out of them. We don't even use them on our farm/ranch trucks anymore. Crazy thing is BFG is owned by Michelin which doesn't make any sense.


I know, but have bought two sets recently - four each time - and have no issues. I know it kills to have one-two fail. But over the lifetime of BFG and my trucks - forty years ... have had only one bad tire, a rear SW 2500HD - after several thousand miles - and BFG replaced TWO so wear would match on the partner tire. Can't complain [emoticon]


Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

Cummins12V98

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 06/03/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/27/22 03:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would get 100k out of BFG 3rd gen take offs and still have tread left.


2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

wowens79

Georgia

Senior Member

Joined: 01/05/2015

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/27/22 05:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ve been super happy with my Cooper tires. Reasonable price, good traction, good wear.


2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 241k miles and climbing
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

ksss

Eastern Idaho

Senior Member

Joined: 02/19/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/27/22 06:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I really liked the BFG KO AT's down to about the 50% wear out point. They are in my view one of the best AT tires on ice in that first 50%. Probably do to all the sipes and cuts they just do a great job planting the pickup on snow packed/icy roads. My issue was how fast they would wear out. Every year (for 9 years) I would replace two of the tires due to wear, right before Winter. It seems like towing really wore them down fast. Not great cutting fresh snow, even when new, but decent enough.


2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

blofgren

Surrey, B.C.

Senior Member

Joined: 11/26/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/27/22 06:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ksss wrote:

I really liked the BFG KO AT's down to about the 50% wear out point. They are in my view one of the best AT tires on ice in that first 50%. Probably do to all the sipes and cuts they just do a great job planting the pickup on snow packed/icy roads. My issue was how fast they would wear out. Every year (for 9 years) I would replace two of the tires due to wear, right before Winter. It seems like towing really wore them down fast. Not great cutting fresh snow, even when new, but decent enough.


They seem to wear really well on lighter vehicles, but wear like crazy on HD diesel trucks. I ran a set on a Ranger 4x4 for work and they wore like steel.


2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 02/12/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/27/22 08:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

blofgren wrote:

ksss wrote:

I really liked the BFG KO AT's down to about the 50% wear out point. They are in my view one of the best AT tires on ice in that first 50%. Probably do to all the sipes and cuts they just do a great job planting the pickup on snow packed/icy roads. My issue was how fast they would wear out. Every year (for 9 years) I would replace two of the tires due to wear, right before Winter. It seems like towing really wore them down fast. Not great cutting fresh snow, even when new, but decent enough.


They seem to wear really well on lighter vehicles, but wear like crazy on HD diesel trucks. I ran a set on a Ranger 4x4 for work and they wore like steel.


Ran a couple sets of these on my 05 Super Duty and would get maybe 35k miles on these.


'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"200k Mile Club"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"


cummins2014

Utah

Senior Member

Joined: 02/20/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 03/03/22 05:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wowens79 wrote:

I’ve been super happy with my Cooper tires. Reasonable price, good traction, good wear.



Time for new tires , I too looking at the Cooper AT3 XLT , reasonably priced ,just have never run a set.

Presently running the Toyo AT2's , I like the tire ,other then I thought I would get a bit better than I did out of them. If I wasn't towing a fifth wheel, and pushed them right to the wear bars ,maybe 40K. As is I don't want to push them.

BurbMan

Indianapolis, IN

Senior Member

Joined: 09/20/2001

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 03/03/22 05:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP update: I stayed with the Nitto Ridge Grapplers, but in the stock 275/70-18 size. Some of you may recall when I bought this truck it had these tires in 325/65-18 size, they looked badazz, and handled the camper well, but not what you want when towing heavy. These are stock 18x8 wheels. As an aside, the search function has a gap between 2020 and 2013 so I can't link to that post.

Anyway, $1431.08 out the door. *sigh*

Here's what the old tires looked like on the truck:

[image]

A good 5" wider than the stock size:

[image]
Buit since we don't camp on the beach anymore it's all good.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Tires---Ouch
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.