RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Rain shield for sliding window on trailer?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Rain shield for sliding window on trailer?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/22 09:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never liked slider windows for this exact reason. LOVE the tilt out ones MUCH better. May not get the same amount of airflow, but no rain gets in.

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Fisherman

Angus, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/22 11:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well that 2040 place does list those window covers, out of curiosity has anyone ever bought anything from them? Sent them an email but nothing back yet.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/22 12:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fisherman wrote:

Well that 2040 place does list those window covers, out of curiosity has anyone ever bought anything from them? Sent them an email but nothing back yet.

You are searching for what is often referred to as New Old Stock (NOS).

I doubt anyone has new ones (NOS) and the only ones you might find now days are old used ones on Ebay.

I can easily find a listing on Amazon for them, but Amazon simply lists them as No longer available.

Sometimes online parts places will continue to list items even when they are no longer made and available.. It boosts their click ratings and hence they get more advertising money for the click throughs..

Maxxair stopped manufacturing this item sometime after 2013 as I have a local RV dealer catalog from 2013 that listed the covers and I am certain by now, even the NOS parts have dried up.

Here is a scan from my old catalog..

[image]

I suspect that the retail price tag of $57 each didn't make up enough sales for the molding/manufacturing/marketing costs incurred.

Not enough people willing to spend that kind of money back in 2013 up to when they quit manufacturing them to outfit their RV with these.. Would hate to see what the cost would be now days with the extreme inflation of prices..

Fisherman

Angus, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/22 09:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the info.

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/22 10:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP here. In answer to a couple of questions: we try not to run the A/C while boondocking -- the generator makes too much noise. I much prefer an open window.

But this is a horizontal slider -- the rain comes right in, especially if there is a breeze blowing the raindrops sideways.

It's amazing to me that there is no new aftermarket window covering that would do the job -- this seems like a very common problem, in search of a solution.

An awning would work, I guess -- it's an expensive solution to a more easily solved problem.

I may try to fabricate a rain hood out of acrylic sheet -- this would be something that I would deploy in the rain and then take down before hitting the road again. Not sure how I would get the top edge to seal against the side of the trailer, so that raindrops would not infiltrate from above.

The good news is that I live in the Far West, where rain has apparently been abolished. The bad news is that we hope to travel to the East, where I am told it still rains on occasion.

I'll report back, if and when I come up with a workable work-around.

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Rain shield for sliding window on trailer?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.