|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Portable Gen Wireless Start Questions

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/22 10:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

routeforty,

I replaced the OEM size with a slightly smaller SiO2. But the discharge rate on the SiO2 is more than triple that of the AGM. The starter spins wonderfully fast.

So it was better and cheaper too!

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/22 02:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Still not clear on the choke aspect. Assuming you leave it on and the battery does not run down meanwhile, you can use the fob to start it wirelessly.

However, recoil starts with the gens I am used to have a choke with a lever you slide over once it warms up a bit after getting going.

How is this achieved with wireless remote start gens like the Chanp 3500 linked in the OP?

Thanks.

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/22 02:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BFL13 wrote:

Still not clear on the choke aspect. Assuming you leave it on and the battery does not run down meanwhile, you can use the fob to start it wirelessly.

However, recoil starts with the gens I am used to have a choke with a lever you slide over once it warms up a bit after getting going.

How is this achieved with wireless remote start gens like the Chanp 3500 linked in the OP?

Thanks.

I believe the choke is connected to a solenoid, when cranking the solenoid closes the choke. Let up on the remote button when the engine catches and the solenoid relaxes and opens the choke..

Of course, there is the possibility of a spring loaded "automatic" choke like you used to see on many small lawnmower engines.. Spring is strong enough to lightly close and hold the choke when cranking but not strong enough to hold choke closed when engine is at speed..

Generally only need choke during startup when cold so most automobile "automatic" chokes used a simple bimetalic spring which when cold it shut the choke and as it warmed up, it relaxed and opened the choke..

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/22 03:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BFL13 wrote:

Still not clear on the choke aspect.

Thanks.

The add on kit from Pinella's doesn't disable the manual choke. The Yamaha add on does disable the manual choke.

I can't speak for the Champion.

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/22 05:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

routeforty wrote:

I assume you replaced the original battery. With what? Did you go with the same size or a larger one? Gary
I replaced mine with a YTX7A-BS AGM motorcycle battery that lives on a 13.3V float charger.

I have not let it sit overnight with the switch on after the 1st failure. I might try it again at the house when I'm not relying on it.

Side Discussion: I wasn't sure what voltage to float this battery so I charged it at 14.6V until the current no longer dropped for an hour. Then I let it set for 2 days and it measured 13.3V. Let me know if there is a better way.

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens, PullRite SuperGlide 2700 15K
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/22 05:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BFL13 wrote:

Thanks.

I have the same 3500W model the OP referenced.
When starting remotely the choke is actuated by a stepper motor similar to the throttle. It's all automatic.

When starting at the panel either with the electric starter or manually pulling the cord, there is a red "Choke" button on the panel that must be pressed in. Once the engine starts you must press the red button again to open the choke.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/22 10:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great info--thanks all! She now has a good idea what she needs/wants, so now it is all about what is available "up here" and watching for sales. Needs it for July so some time for that.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Portable Gen Wireless Start Questions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2023 CWI, Inc. © 2023 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.