RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: What’s with the bags?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> What’s with the bags?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
John & Christine

Milford

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/22 08:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So I traveled through South Carolina, Georgia and North Carolina these past few days. I noticed that the vehicles that have broken down and were in the breakdown lane… most if not all had bags, or towels in there doors. Can someone tell me why?

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/22 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The towel is meant to signal a need for help. According to page 70 of the North Carolina Driver’s Handbook “If you need help, tie a white cloth to the left door handle or the radio aerial and raise the hood of the vehicle.”

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/22 04:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

White Flag of Surrender.. as Way2roll said "HELP"

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

jetboater454

Camping or home

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/22 03:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would think with cellphones now that practice would be obsolete.

Plus the fact that old lady may not even be a lady,let alone old. A bit risky to stop and help today.

2011 Toyota Tundra DC Long Bed
2001 Harley Dyna Lowrider

John & Christine

Milford

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/22 07:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ah ok… interesting… all the vehicles I saw were empty and no one around.

Pawz4me

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/22 04:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe they're meant simply as an indication that the vehicle has a mechanical problem, not that it's been abandoned for no reason. Sort of like saying "Car trouble, will be back to take care of it soon."

Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

John & Christine

Milford

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/22 06:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pawz4me wrote:

I believe they're meant simply as an indication that the vehicle has a mechanical problem, not that it's been abandoned for no reason. Sort of like saying "Car trouble, will be back to take care of it soon."
Yeah that makes sense… thanks!

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/22 07:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The towel is meant to signal a need for help. According to page 70 of the North Carolina Driver’s Handbook (what, you haven’t read this since driver’s ed?), “If you need help, tie a white cloth to the left door handle or the radio aerial and raise the hood of the vehicle.” According to Steve Abbott, Assistant Director of Communications for North Carolina Department of Transportation, the white cloth is meant to signal law enforcement or, if it is a stretch of road that has the IMAP service (aka The Immediate Motorist Assistance Program), it’s signaling one of the IMAP drivers. Afternoon Observer Everything you need to know about the day's news in Charlotte, direct to your inbox Monday-Friday. SIGN UP This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply. If you abandon the car, towel and all, it’s still at risk to get towed. The length of time it’s OK to leave a vehicle unattended depends on the type of road, location, closeness of the vehicle to the highway (this is a safety factor) and the policy of Highway Patrol and local law enforcement in that area, Abbott said. Friendly reminder: “Shoulders are not intended for long-term parking,” Abbott said. “They are there for emergencies and they provide added recovery space should a vehicle suddenly run off the road.” As for those orange stickers slapped onto abandoned vehicles? They function as a warning of sorts, indicating when a vehicle will be towed. “Sort of a last chance to get the car out before a tow truck comes for it,” Abbott said. The white cloth is a phenomenon you don’t see as much now as in the past, Abbott pointed out, and it isn’t exclusive to the Carolinas. “So many people have cellphones now and will call for help, such as HP (Highway Patrol) or their travel service company like AAA, and just remain with the vehicle knowing help is on its way,” he said. Photo: Mark Hames/Charlotte Observer

Read more at: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/charlottefive/c5-around-town/article236172773.html#storylink=cpy

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> What’s with the bags?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.