RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Weigh Station ??

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

 > Weigh Station ??

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Rick Jay

Greater Springfield area, MA

Senior Member

Joined: 02/02/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/02/22 06:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JaxDad wrote:

I personally saw a DP MH get run down by a LEO that came out of an open scale when it tried to drive past it in Michigan.


I won't argue what you saw, but there could be an explanation.

Almost 12 years ago, there was this post on these forums about "Private Coach - Not for Hire" signage. Seemed to be a lot of conflicting views then, too! [emoticon]

I have seen signs such as "Private Coach - Not for Hire" or some such verbage prominently displayed on the side of high-end DPs. I believe tour buses and such are considered commercial vehicles and DO have to stop at the scales. So folks who own these high end DPs which are often indistinguishable from the tour buses while on the road incorporate such signage to make it clear that their RV is NOT a commercial vehicle.

Perhaps what you observed was an LEO who was unclear as to whether the RV in question was private or commercial? In that case, the only way to know is to pull it over to verify. It doesn't necessarily mean that the LEO's were pulling over ALL RVs which passed the weigh station.

~Rick

* This post was edited 03/02/22 06:30am by Rick Jay *


2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (25-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (20), 2 boys (21 & 18).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.


jorbill2or

Full time

Senior Member

Joined: 10/02/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 03/02/22 06:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good reading
Drove truck in Oregon and Washington , knew several scalemasters .. Washington doesn’t want your rv in the scale. Unless an officer pulls you in for a violation. I think this is common and in all the years I’ve done this across the country I’ve never seen anyone targeted other than rv’s that are being transported ( commercial operators). Yes if your moving the rv for hire it’s a commercial move. If you have big stickers on the front and back hawking your web site or blog .. you could be commercial . Read the article, make up your own mind. Years of rving across the country and I’ve never had a problem driving right on by. I have however been a trucker on my cb listening to the talk when some confused rver pulls through. Good times clear as mud but I’ll drive right on by.


Bill

way2roll

Wilmington NC

Senior Member

Joined: 10/05/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/02/22 06:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JaxDad wrote:

way2roll wrote:

Why is this even a conversation? Non commercial RV's do not need to stop at weigh stations. Period. There is no "what if you are wrong".


You can’t just make a blanket statement like that, it’s wrong. Period.

There are numerous states require all RVs over 10,000 pounds to stop. Arkansas, Georgia, Iowa, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Nevada, North Dakota, Ohio, Rhode Island, Washington (State), and Wisconsin require private RVs, specialty vehicles, passenger vehicles, and trailers over 10,000 lbs to stop.

I personally saw a DP MH get run down by a LEO that came out of an open scale when it tried to drive past it in Michigan.


Since you didn't get pulled over personally you actually have no idea why the particular RV you saw was being pulled over. Maybe he was speeding, maybe he was involved in an incident previously and was radioed in, maybe he had a baggage door open, maybe the Unicorn on his roof was shooting rainbow lasers. The point is you don't know and making the assumption.

I would pose this a different way. Has anyone on this forum ever been personally pulled over for passing a weigh station? This forum has lots of members with decades and decades of seat time. And my money is on no. It's never happened.

How happy do you think the trucking industry and supply chain commerce in general would be if all the sudden all RV's started to clog up weigh stations?

Anyway, I've never stopped and passed plenty of cops on my way past. So have millions of other RV's in every state.


2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

JRscooby

Indepmo

Senior Member

Joined: 06/10/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/02/22 07:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

Why is this even a conversation? Non commercial RV's do not need to stop at weigh stations. Period. There is no "what if you are wrong". It's not a thing. To the OP, no, you don't need to stop. If there is ANY evidence of a case where a personally owned RV did not stop at a weigh station and was cited for it, post it. Otherwise it's straw man argument for argument's sake.



Just for snots and grins, compare the number of people that post on this and other RV sites (remember many that post do so on more than 1) to the total number of RVs on the road. Now how can you trump out nobody has ever cited?


Rick Jay wrote:

JaxDad wrote:

I personally saw a DP MH get run down by a LEO that came out of an open scale when it tried to drive past it in Michigan.


I won't argue what you saw, but there could be an explanation.

Almost 12 years ago, there was this post on these forums about "Private Coach - Not for Hire" signage. Seemed to be a lot of conflicting views then, too! [emoticon]

I have seen signs such as "Private Coach - Not for Hire" or some such verbage prominently displayed on the side of high-end DPs. I believe tour buses and such are considered commercial vehicles and DO have to stop at the scales. So folks who own these high end DPs which are often indistinguishable from the tour buses while on the road incorporate such signage to make it clear that their RV is NOT a commercial vehicle.

Perhaps what you observed was an LEO who was unclear as to whether the RV in question was private or commercial? In that case, the only way to know is to pull it over to verify. It doesn't necessarily mean that the LEO's were pulling over ALL RVs which passed the weigh station.

~Rick


That reason for the stop is valid. Bet if it happened like that it took a lot longer for the driver to prove to the confused LEO there was no reason to cross the scale. Might even involve a court date if cop was behind on citations.

Little different, but my aunt was in a church van when the driver decided "Busses Weigh" sign did not apply to him. 8 old ladies setting roadside for a hour, then driver made 2 trips to court before his record was cleared. By state law, because a church owned the van, and he was a volunteer was exempt.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

Senior Member

Joined: 10/05/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/02/22 07:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't stop at weigh stations, never have and have no plans to do so in the future. Look at me over here rolling the dice like a big risk taker. A rebel. living on the edge. A wanted man. An outlaw. I also tore the tag off my mattress once.

Rick Jay

Greater Springfield area, MA

Senior Member

Joined: 02/02/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/02/22 09:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

Bet if it happened like that it took a lot longer for the driver to prove to the confused LEO there was no reason to cross the scale. Might even involve a court date if cop was behind on citations.


Possibly, though I would think a look at the vehicle registration would quickly reveal whether the vehicle was registered as a commercial vehicle or not. Carrying just your wife/family members as passengers might be a good supporting argument as well, as well as it being filled with all of the family's personal effects. Now....if a bunch of "Rock Stars" come filing out...that's a different story! [emoticon]

I just think this is statistically a non-issue. IF I ever get "stopped" for not going through the weigh station I'll plead my case and hope for the best.

I might exceed the posted speed limits from time to time, as well, but I like to live dangerously! LOL

~Rick

dedmiston

Coast to Coast

Moderator

Joined: 01/26/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 03/02/22 11:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JaxDad wrote:

way2roll wrote:

Why is this even a conversation? Non commercial RV's do not need to stop at weigh stations. Period. There is no "what if you are wrong".


You can’t just make a blanket statement like that, it’s wrong. Period.

There are numerous states require all RVs over 10,000 pounds to stop. Arkansas, Georgia, Iowa, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Nevada, North Dakota, Ohio, Rhode Island, Washington (State), and Wisconsin require private RVs, specialty vehicles, passenger vehicles, and trailers over 10,000 lbs to stop.

I personally saw a DP MH get run down by a LEO that came out of an open scale when it tried to drive past it in Michigan.


I've towed through most of those states and I've never ever stopped at a weigh station. My rig is conspicuous enough to catch their attention and I'm slow enough that they could have caught me if they cared.

I accidentally pulled into a weigh station when I was in the wrong lane on the SB 15 just past the NV/CA state line. I gave the universal shrug symbol for "please don't hate me for being an idiot" and the nice CHP officer nodded and waved as I pulled through his station without stopping.

RVs being required to stop at weigh stations is in the same category of urban myths for me as "undigested chewing gum takes seven years to pass through your system".


2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230


RedRollingRoadblock

Oregon

Senior Member

Joined: 11/26/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/02/22 12:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would like to know how many times this same subject has been beat to death on this as well as other RV forums. And the answers are all the same, every time.

LouLawrence

Traveling the US!

Senior Member

Joined: 03/16/2021

View Profile



Posted: 03/02/22 04:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been through all of those States multiple times over the last 20 years and no one even blinked when I drove past a weigh station. Must have been through MI at least 2 dozen times.
Weigh stations are for commercial vehicles and mine is a 40,000# bus conversion RV. It's also a check to see if the load that's supposed to be on board matches the weight of the vehicle. If not, an inspection can be done to find out why there is a variance.

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

Senior Member

Joined: 08/02/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 03/03/22 05:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

JaxDad wrote:

way2roll wrote:

Why is this even a conversation? Non commercial RV's do not need to stop at weigh stations. Period. There is no "what if you are wrong".


You can’t just make a blanket statement like that, it’s wrong. Period.


I personally saw a DP MH get run down by a LEO that came out of an open scale when it tried to drive past it in Michigan.


Since you didn't get pulled over personally you actually have no idea why the particular RV you saw was being pulled over. Maybe he was speeding, maybe he was involved in an incident previously and was radioed in, maybe he had a baggage door open, maybe the Unicorn on his roof was shooting rainbow lasers. The point is you don't know and making the assumption.
.

How happy do you think the trucking industry and supply chain commerce in general would be if all the sudden all RV's started to clog up weigh stations?


In that case the reason was reasonably obvious, it was a large DP with large trailer travelling in a convoy of a dozen C’s and small A’s and TT’s, all Canadian vehicles enroute to the fly-in at Osh Kosh WI. We were told later it was a ‘routine stop’ and the driver was admonished to obey the signs in the future.


As for clogging weigh stations, I’m pretty sure most commercial drivers would welcome the sight of a scale clogged with RV’s and trucks having to by-pass the scale because of it.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

 > Weigh Station ??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.