|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> If it's not one, it's another

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
NamMedevac 70

Reno

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/22 09:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was fortunate in my 15 years of towing my quality-built R-Vision Trail Cruiser BH I never experienced any serious issues with the unit that included harsh towing conditions in the mountains and coastal areas and some long term outdoor storage in extreme hot sun of Texas and Nevada. Those were the days.

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/22 09:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for my laugh of the day. Had to read this one.

We are rolling around the country with a 2007 5er which has had well over 1800 nights spent in it & some 220,000 truck miles. With age & use stuff goes wrong. It has been in storage, & not even seen, since last October but the spring refit list is well underway where we actually do go into a boatyard to do the work.

The Amazon order for known issues gets placed in a week or so. I am figuring 3-4 days of boatyard work. Any longer & they start threatening to launch me with the travel lift.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/22 05:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

memtb wrote:

jdc 1, We should write a book together! That sounds like some of our trips over the last 30 or so years! The bright side....it keeps life interesting! [emoticon]
memtb

That it does. I've repaired everything, even stuff I didn't know was screwed up until I got home. Boy, I'm glad I can do this stuff, or I might be living in this trailer (5th wheel) because I would be broke if I had to pay RV repairman prices. Yeah. I get sore getting up and down, crawling under and over, contorting my body like a hula dancer....but.....That soreness goes away in a few days,

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/22 06:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Veebyes wrote:

We are rolling around the country with a 2007 5er which has had well over 1800 nights spent in it & some 220,000 truck miles. With age & use stuff goes wrong. It has been in storage, & not even seen, since last October but the spring refit list is well underway where we actually do go into a boatyard to do the work.

The Amazon order for known issues gets placed in a week or so. I am figuring 3-4 days of boatyard work. Any longer & they start threatening to launch me with the travel lift.

Just look at all the money you save keeping that trailer and old boat!

Veebyes

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/22 05:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jdc1 wrote:

Veebyes wrote:

Just look at all the money you save keeping that trailer and old boat!

Yes, that 32' diesel powered boat would probably be well over $5K worth of maintenance each year BEFORE turning the key for the first time.

The truck & 5er are well under that. You get to a point where the depreciation rate curve flattens out considerably but things needing attention increase & can get expensive such as new stove this year.

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/22 09:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jdc1 wrote:

memtb wrote:

jdc 1, We should write a book together! That sounds like some of our trips over the last 30 or so years! The bright side....it keeps life interesting! [emoticon]
memtb

That it does. I've repaired everything, even stuff I didn't know was screwed up until I got home. Boy, I'm glad I can do this stuff, or I might be living in this trailer (5th wheel) because I would be broke if I had to pay RV repairman prices. Yeah. I get sore getting up and down, crawling under and over, contorting my body like a hula dancer....but.....That soreness goes away in a few days,

Some of my more interesting repairs involve weather extremes! Replacing an igniter rod on the refrigerator in blowing snow with temps in the teens on a 3 week boondocking trip, replacing a complete hub/brake backing plate assembly and “dressing” the slightly damaged axle stub with a file in single digit temps (though it was sunny) in a rv park in Evanston, Wy., to replacing a broken spring pack, in an asphalt parking lot..... August in Mesa Arizona. There’s plenty more ......but, you get the picture! [emoticon] memtb

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Veebyes

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/22 05:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Got one that would have surely cost us thousands if it was taken to a dealer. Changing the black tank gate valve.

Our Alpenlite has a Waste Master electric gate valve system. Great when it works, push a button, not so much when it does not.

Changing the valve, in an extremely awkward inaccessible location, involves getting the tank empty as possible at the dump then going somewhere on a slope, or creating a list with boards to make what does not drain go to the low side away from the valve.

You then have to get under the trailer, with your face right below the valve that you have to remove.

I will stop the story there. It only gets worse.

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/22 11:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Veebyes wrote:

Got one that would have surely cost us thousands if it was taken to a dealer. Changing the black tank gate valve.

Our Alpenlite has a Waste Master electric gate valve system. Great when it works, push a button, not so much when it does not.

Changing the valve, in an extremely awkward inaccessible location, involves getting the tank empty as possible at the dump then going somewhere on a slope, or creating a list with boards to make what does not drain go to the low side away from the valve.

You then have to get under the trailer, with your face right below the valve that you have to remove.

I will stop the story there. It only gets worse.

I am getting a vivid picture.....LOL.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> If it's not one, it's another
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.