|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> How To Tear Off Your Truck Camper Jack Made Easy

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/22 01:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That’s a major bummer. And a major fix. Sorry to see that.
If it makes you feel better, I’ve wiped the AC off the top of a truck camper and smushed the ladder on our toyhauler.
Chit happens.
Good thing you’re mechanically inclined!

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/22 05:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gas station bollards (posts) are evil too.

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Oasisbob

Portland Oregon 97266

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/22 05:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry my friend. Life is an education. I wonder if the insurance company will total your camper or how it can be fixed? Let us know how this turns out please

Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS">

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/22 08:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I must say that your composure is truly inspirational, and there’s simply no doubt that this could happen to anyone…A few months ago a fella and his wife got distracted by conversation while driving his new Lance beneath a low hanging awning at a nearby Sinclar gas station…Nearly sheared the air conditioner off the roof…De-aired the rear tires down to about 1” and slowly crept out…

I myself had the left rear jack sheared off by a distracted feral human chit-chatting on her cell phone with young children in her car - crossed over the yellow line, hit the left side dually before bouncing off the rear jack and hitting another car…Knocked my rear axle back about 1.25”, but totaled out her borrowed, unregistered, uninsured junker…Even with 2 witnesses on site the Sacto Cops wouldn’t even write an accident report, or gather any info (a resource thingy…), City Cop merely stopped to inform her that it was her responsibility to her to get her demolished vehicle towed off the street (all air bags went off), then casually drove off…Kinda appeared to me that Sacto had gone third world…Nearby permanent tent dwellers only added to this perception…

I just counted my blessings as it might easily have been a head on…Thankfully my insurance kicked in…

3 tons

* This post was edited 03/03/22 09:44pm by 3 tons *

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/22 09:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oasisbob wrote:

Sorry my friend. Life is an education. I wonder if the insurance company will total your camper or how it can be fixed? Let us know how this turns out please

I am insured but dont know if it be worth going through insurance. If totaled, I don't know what They would pay.

Camper Jeff and Kelli's Blog!
CITAP1 Jeff's YouTube Channel
A CLOSED MOUTH GATHERS NO FEET!

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/22 03:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

deltabravo wrote:

Gas station bollards (posts) are evil too.

Yes, I saw that. I think they're back together now.

RetiredRealtorRick

St. Augustine Beach, FL

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/22 05:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli wrote:

JRscooby wrote:

RetiredRealtorRick wrote:

Too bad the boneheads that set up that water fill station, wherever it is, didn't take into consideration that literally EVERY vehicle that gets near it is substantially taller than their guard pipes. I absolutely guarantee you those things have been hit scores of times. Just the sign of an operator that doesn't really care. Too bad. Rant over.

Not sure, but I think the purpose guard pipes is to protect the fill from people that would hit it. Sorry OP, but nobody damaged your stuff but you.

I think I was clear it was my fault. They also know there is a problem with visibility after talking with the attendant. They should put up flags like wheel chairs, dune buggies have to prevent it from continuing to happen.

My point exactly. Anybody knows WHY they're there -- it's pretty obvious. But, it's the owner's responsibility to make the area as safe and navigable as possible. If they KNOW there's a problem, and the neglect to address it, I'd refuse to patronize the establishment again -- there are other fish in the sea. If they won't deal with that issue, how much more are they neglecting?

. . . never confuse education with intelligence

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/22 06:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli wrote:

JRscooby wrote:

Too bad the boneheads that set up that water fill station, wherever it is, didn't take into consideration that literally EVERY vehicle that gets near it is substantially taller than their guard pipes. I absolutely guarantee you those things have been hit scores of times. Just the sign of an operator that doesn't really care. Too bad. Rant over.

Not sure, but I think the purpose guard pipes is to protect the fill from people that would hit it. Sorry OP, but nobody damaged your stuff but you.

I think I was clear it was my fault. They also know there is a problem with visibility after talking with the attendant. They should put up flags like wheel chairs, dune buggies have to prevent it from continuing to happen.

My point exactly. Anybody knows WHY they're there -- it's pretty obvious. But, it's the owner's responsibility to make the area as safe and navigable as possible. If they KNOW there's a problem, and the neglect to address it, I'd refuse to patronize the establishment again -- there are other fish in the sea. If they won't deal with that issue, how much more are they neglecting?

IMHO, the placement of the guards is the owners attempt to keep things safe, plus protect his property. Posts do not move. Nor will the fill station. As you approach, 99.99% of the people, (Including OP) can see both posts and station, and 99.99% of the time can mark the location between their ears, and maneuver past with no problem. And without the posts, part of the .01% (and IMHO, the ones most likely to want to change the posts) would hit the other structure.
Think about it for a minute; Kids move, do we put flags on them?

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/22 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^Not sure why you're bent on baggin on the OP Scoob....Bored or just being a jerk?

JKJavelin

Milwaukee, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/22 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A little off subject, but when I was a teenager, my parents had a 1969 pickup camper and the jacks pivoted to horizontal when traveling. I noticed these days that they all hang down when traveling, making them vulnerable. I wonder why that changed.
JK

2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde SRE-4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017- 21 Nights
2018- 75 Nights
2019- 138 Nights
2020- 72 Nights
2021- 122 Nights
2022- 85 Nights

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> How To Tear Off Your Truck Camper Jack Made Easy
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.