|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Kill switch for Cummins

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Durb

NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/22 08:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not only is there an epidemic of catalytic convertor thefts in my area; used pickups are also targets for thieves. An insurance payout would be far less than what my replacement cost would be, plus I really like my truck. I've considered an engine kill switch for my 04 Ram, but have no idea which wire I should loop to a hidden switch.

What are other members doing to add some anti-theft security to their aging trucks? Do steering wheel locks work? Would a thief equipped with the tools to steal a catalytic convertor be able to quickly defeat a steering wheel lock?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/22 09:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Couple observations.
1. If you think your insurance won't pay market value in the event of a total loss, find a new insurance company.
2. Steering wheel locks are for show. Takes about 10 seconds to cut through a steering wheel, making the "hardened steel" lock nothing but an awkward shaped club.
3. There are several potential components I could think of wiring a cutoff into. Power to the FCA, power to the lift pump, are a couple. That said, I wouldn't really want to cut into any of the OE harness if I didn't have to. But a simple electric inline valve on the fuel line feeding the lift pump would be standalone, easy to install and not expensive. Quick search found 1/2" valves for $44.99. Under $100 for sure, all in with switch, wire, fuse, etc.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/22 09:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have an 03. Do you have an automatic? If so then there is a small jumper wire where a clutch pedal switch would be on a manual. You can easily install a momentary button or switch in that wire so the starter wont engage.

You're right, from what I've heard, a nice specimen can go for nearly what we paid for them.

* This post was edited 03/07/22 11:02am by ScottG *

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/22 11:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On my list is a tire/wheel boot like the ones LEO's place on vehicles with too many tickets/etc

Less hassle than messing with electrical (harness, switch mounting, etc)

Heavy Duty Wheel Lock
[image]

Ultimate Parking Enforcement Wheel Boot
[image]

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/22 11:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Talk to your insurance agent about "Full Replacement Value". You can get that on your policy and it shouldn't cost much more.

2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/22 11:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BenK wrote:

On my list is a tire/wheel boot like the ones LEO's place on vehicles with too many tickets/etc

Less hassle than messing with electrical (harness, switch mounting, etc)

Let's not confuse our nation's LEOs with meter maids...mmmmkay?

Less hassle? Unless you consider installing and removing the boot on your vehicle, say 10x a day less hassle than flipping a switch, I'm having trouble getting on this train. Or do thieves only steal vehicles when they're parked somewhere for extended periods, like days at a time?

Add to it, a decent quality boot will cost far more than a simple cutoff switch.
Effectiveness? You may have me there. Visual deterrent vs catching a thief off guard when they think they already gotcha? Flip a coin I suppose.

@ScottG's idea may be the simplest, I didn't consider that the clutch safety switch would be in place and jumpered on an auto truck.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/22 02:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For a long time I had a bunch of tools, compressors, welders on a old Ford truck. I had a relay in the starter cable controlled by a magnetic switch on dash. If a magnetic clip was not in the right place on the dash, starter would not run, and ignition would not get power.

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/22 04:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I once helped a friend theft proof his Jeep before going to Mexico. We put a kill switch in the wire to the fuel pump. We also put a relay in the start wire going to the starter solenoid. The relay was powered by the headlights high beam. So, he had to turn the high beams on and flip the kill switch to start it.

thomasmnile

Lake Mary, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/22 04:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

schlep1967 wrote:

Talk to your insurance agent about "Full Replacement Value". You can get that on your policy and it shouldn't cost much more.

Unlikely on a 2004 vehicle. GEICO offers a full replacement cost rider for vehicles that are 0-5 years old.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/22 05:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thomasmnile wrote:

schlep1967 wrote:

Unlikely on a 2004 vehicle. GEICO offers a full replacement cost rider for vehicles that are 0-5 years old.

Yeah, that doesn't exist unless you get an appraised value type policy for a classic vehicle, afaik. Not applicable to daily drivers.

Whole lot of speculation in this thread about insurance.
Also, OP is looking for advice on a kill switch, which has been given and not too difficult or expensive.
Other option, security system.
None of these will likely stop a pro from getting it.

But "not getting what it's worth from insurance" is an age old battle.
It's you vs a for profit corporation.
That said, one's idea of what it's "worth" has to be within reason of what the market value is. We're not talking rare antique artifacts here. Just everyday run of the mill vehicles.
One has some risk that they will lose "modifications" if not able to retrieve them (like in the case of a theft), but by the same token, market value is market value.
How much do you want to pay to insure something that is worth more "to you" (insert emotional response here) than to the general public.
If the market demands $20k for a comparable truck, you'll get that much or close to it, if you stick to your guns.

And if you're THAT worried about it getting stolen, do something about it. (Like the OP is planning to do)

I'm glad and fortunate that the theft of any single vehicle or toy wouldn't place us in a financial bind, even if completely uninsured. And I understand those who have more of their eggs in baskets that are easily (relatively) stolen. But best you can do is try to make it less easy to steal or less attractive to steal and go on about your life!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Kill switch for Cummins
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.