|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Interstate rest area stops

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/22 08:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is the thought of law officers or rest stop employees of RVs using the car area rather than the truck and trailer area to rest. It makes no sense to have a full lot in one and a near empty lot in the other.

jesseannie

Roseburg, OR

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/22 08:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am on the I-5 corridor in Roseburg, Oregon. The rest areas here are full of trucks. There is not a space for a recreational vehicle. This includes the entrance and exit ramps.
It is really a pain when you need to use the facilities.

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/22 08:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are travelers. We have a Class A that is on the small side. We use highway rest areas as a last resort, there are many better places to get a nights rest.

The app "RVParky" is a good start. I don't know how big your rig is, but if you can maneuver it well you have lots of choices. There are many large lots available at night. One thing that works real well is to go in to a store and ask the manager if when you get done shopping, you can stay the rest of the night. They may ask you to go to a special section of the lot. It is rare that this is refused. If it is refused, go to another and shop there.

This has worked well for us in decades of travel and lots of miles in a clean but antique Class A.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dog (one is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/22 02:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dutch_12078 wrote:

I hope VA troopers aren't still ordering OTR truck drivers to violate the federal hours of service rules. Since the introduction of electronic logging, they have little choice on where they stop for the mandatory rest periods.

They have all sorts of choices, UNLESS, they drive until the very last minute then say they’re “forced” to sleep on the shoulder of an off-ramp.

Routes and facilities along any route anywhere in North America are well documented, the only reason to have “little choice” is because they chose to drive beyond all the good choices.

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/22 03:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JaxDad wrote:

Dutch_12078 wrote:

I hope VA troopers aren't still ordering OTR truck drivers to violate the federal hours of service rules. Since the introduction of electronic logging, they have little choice on where they stop for the mandatory rest periods.

They have all sorts of choices, UNLESS, they drive until the very last minute then say they’re “forced” to sleep on the shoulder of an off-ramp.

Routes and facilities along any route anywhere in North America are well documented, the only reason to have “little choice” is because they chose to drive beyond all the good choices.

JaxDad,
There is a problem that you seem to have missed. While I could plan a day that well, and this was back in the pencil and log book days, there is the very real issue of being stuck on the road by circumstances beyond the driver's control until your cab-time runs out.
I very nearly got hung up it that one when I was driving in the megopolis of the east coast.

Matt

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/22 03:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JaxDad wrote:

Dutch_12078 wrote:

Somebody has never did any real wheel time. Before I retired, if I planned so spend the night in a truckstop that had parking for 50 trucks, and 52 others made similar plans, somebody lost out. Now I had the freedom to turn down any load that I had to run right to limit to make money. And, as long as the lie book looked right for inspection, a few miles to the next safe place was not a issue. (I tried to start early enough so I was parked by 3:30, 4 PM, and have another hour of legal driving left when got to planed stop. But when I sold out, there where a lot of company's trucks that take over, shut down. That with a management idea driver must run right to limit to afford to haul cheap rates, (Yes driver paid by mile, sees a pay cut if stops too early) I can understand how driver might have to stop in less than ideal location.
I often wondered what would happen if I pulled into a KOA, about 8 PM, left at 6:15 after I did my pre-trip.

swimmer_spe

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/22 04:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP here...

This post was not about truckers or their rest times. This is about an RV parking. This is an RV forum.

dedmiston

Coast to Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/22 04:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

swimmer_spe wrote:

OP here...

This post was not about truckers or their rest times. This is about an RV parking. This is an RV forum.

OP is right. Let's respect this please.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

rlw999

Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/22 04:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JaxDad wrote:

Dutch_12078 wrote:

Doesn't that apply equally so (or even more so) to RV'ers? There are lots of places they can stay, and (most) RVers have much more control over their schedule than truck drivers. So if truck drivers have lots of better choices than rest areas, then RV'ers have even more choices, so there's no need to overnight in a rest area?

Acampingwewillgo

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/22 05:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This topic is always so much Fun.....if you are tired, falling asleep at the wheel tired, I don't care if your in an RV or an OTR truck....use the Rest Area....that's what they are for. No one has any specific right to their exclusive use. I've heard all the arguments on how truckers pay higher highway taxes....sure they do but find me a stretch of road that's not tore up!! Once again, if you need rest, use the Rest Area! Imho????

96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Interstate rest area stops
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.