RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: What is J-Wrap?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> What is J-Wrap?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
Sponsored By:
Mondooker

Florida Gulf Coast

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/22 06:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi guys, my fifth wheel is still at the dealer awaiting J-Wrap and I’m going on four weeks. I’ve done a search but am still not sure what J-Wrap is and why it takes so long to get it?

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/22 07:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

J-wrap/panel is the usual lower aluminum section, skirting along the bottom of sides. Often times these sections of J-panel are a long piece, and are very expensive to ship, because of size, and protection from damage.

At this time, shipping is slow for many things.

Jerry

Mondooker

Florida Gulf Coast

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/22 07:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Jerry, I didn’t realize it was under the slides. I thought it was something to do with the basement doors?

I think what has surprised me most is it seems the Coach builder is building new coach’s while coaches they’ve already sold, sit! That doesn’t strike me as a good business model? I get the supply chain and all of that. But some of it is a conscious choice where the parts go!

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/22 07:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you look at my post again, I said sides, not slides. [emoticon] Yes, it likely meets up with/surrounds the lower section of the basement doors.

Was your FW damaged in shipping, or were you in an accident? The J section is very easy to damage. When you think j, imagine looking at this low panel end to end, to see the J shape.

Unless severe damage, you should be able to use the FW if needed. However, once off the dealers lot, out of sight, out of mind.

Good luck,
Jerry

Mondooker

Florida Gulf Coast

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/22 08:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Jerry, It’s a brand new coach that has never left the dealership. The Coach came in with the damage where the basement doors didn’t closer properly and hit against the bottom of the basement doorframe.

BurbMan

Indianapolis, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/22 08:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, the filon or tin siding stops at the floor level, and on the outside of the rig you'll see a horizontal trim piece that runs along the siding. Below that is the "J Wrap", as MFL pointed out it looks like a J if you look at a cross section of it, because it curves in and slightly under the rig. It's on the whole rig, slides and all. On a class A this lower section also has the baggage doors in it, because that storage is below the floor of the rig.

Mondooker, if you had a single J panel and you needed it for either: A) A rig that is mostly built, that you've already spent labor and materials building but haven't gotten paid for, but finishing it with this panel would allow you to sell the rig and get paid, or B) a rig that you've already shipped and gotten paid for, where do you use the panel?

You're correct, it IS a conscious choice where parts go, and sales trumps service any day of the week and in any industry, not just RVs. Bean counters call the shots nowadays.

2015 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel
2008 Heartland Big Country 3250TS
SOLD: 2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
2002 Lance 811 Renovation Story!

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/22 08:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It can cost $500 +- to ship a length of J. Sometimes the manufacturer or dealer, will just put item inside another new unit, going to dealer, where warranty is involved, thus no shipping cost to them. So may be a while before another ordered unit goes to your dealer.

Mondooker

Florida Gulf Coast

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/22 08:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you guys happen to have a picture of J-Wrap? And what exactly it does?

Mondooker

Florida Gulf Coast

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/22 08:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does the J-Wrap go the full length of the Coach or just under the door?

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/22 08:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

See the trim line on my FW, just below the red sticker. That trim is where j-wrap starts, and all below, around the fender skirt, and moving forward, but not shown, about halfway up my basement doors. My outdoor speakers are just set into j-panel, and open to the rear, for easy access.

Normally runs the full length.

Jerry

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> What is J-Wrap?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.