RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: What is J-Wrap?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> What is J-Wrap?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/22 09:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mondooker wrote:

Hi Jerry, I didn’t realize it was under the slides. I thought it was something to do with the basement doors?

I think what has surprised me most is it seems the Coach builder is building new coach’s while coaches they’ve already sold, sit! That doesn’t strike me as a good business model? I get the supply chain and all of that. But some of it is a conscious choice where the parts go!

Have you ever been in business? You would shut down your production line and idle hundreds of workers(NOT getting paid) to ship parts out that were dedicated to production? REALLY? Most RV makers make upwards of Hundreds of Trailers a week. Would YOU be happy if you had a unit on order and they told you it would be extra weeks or months to get your unit because someone OTHER than the OEM damaged a unit? Remember, The Major Car makers kept producing Cars and Trucks because there was a shortage or certain parts, usually chips. NOT because they were supplying chips to consumers, but because their suppliers could not produce due to covid and/or shipping snafus. They usually do NOT have the J wraps in stock for aftermarket sales or warranty. In normal times, they can get those parts within a week and ship out. Doug

ol Bombero-JC

USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/22 11:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

Mondooker wrote:

Hi Jerry, I didn’t realize it was under the slides. I thought it was something to do with the basement doors?

I think what has surprised me most is it seems the Coach builder is building new coach’s while coaches they’ve already sold, sit! That doesn’t strike me as a good business model? I get the supply chain and all of that. But some of it is a conscious choice where the parts go!

Have you ever been in business? You would shut down your production line and idle hundreds of workers(NOT getting paid) to ship parts out that were dedicated to production? REALLY? Most RV makers make upwards of Hundreds of Trailers a week. Would YOU be happy if you had a unit on order and they told you it would be extra weeks or months to get your unit because someone OTHER than the OEM damaged a unit? Remember, The Major Car makers kept producing Cars and Trucks because there was a shortage or certain parts, usually chips. NOT because they were supplying chips to consumers, but because their suppliers could not produce due to covid and/or shipping snafus. They usually do NOT have the J wraps in stock for aftermarket sales or warranty. In normal times, they can get those parts within a week and ship out. Doug

Doug:
Maybe the OP will post whether he has PAID in FULL *before* delivery,
-OR- if he is waiting for his 5th to be delivered (only pd a deposit) with the missing J Wrap.

(IMO) - I'll bet he (not the dealer) "owns" the RV.

BTW - you have a pie in the sky attitude in re: Quality Control -and-
the workers are most likely "piece workers". The missing J Wrap is not their problem...[emoticon]

OP - Which is it....[emoticon]

Mondooker

Florida Gulf Coast

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/22 01:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi guys, Yes I’ve not only been in business I’ve owned a few of them. Customer service is only for those companies who want to stay in business with a reputation in tact! How long do you go before fixing a coach that came from the builder wrong? My ownership or my deposit makes little difference. The manufacturer shipped a coach needing things and it’s up to them to provide it on a timely basis. To keep both dealer and customer happy me thinks!

bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/22 04:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the damage was done during delivery to the dealer it is now an insurance issue involving the transport company, not a manufacturer/dealer issue.
The old catch 22. It's a shame it happened to you but stuff happens.
It's possible the RV can be used with the damaged part, post a pic when you can.

2005 Cummins 3500 2WD LB quad cab dually pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/22 04:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mondooker wrote:

Hi guys, Yes I’ve not only been in business I’ve owned a few of them. Customer service is only for those companies who want to stay in business with a reputation in tact! How long do you go before fixing a coach that came from the builder wrong? My ownership or my deposit makes little difference. The manufacturer shipped a coach needing things and it’s up to them to provide it on a timely basis. To keep both dealer and customer happy me thinks!

In normal times when supplies and shipping aren't an issue, that would be great.

But with limited supplies and shipping problems:
- You are essentially a sunk cost. It likely will be years before you buy a new RV, if you ever do. There is very little loss and they can point to the supply chain issues if you tell someone and they ask the dealer. There is effectively no money in it for the manufacturer.
- If they shut down the line, they are likely losing thousands on every RV that doesn't get built and sold. With gas prices thru the roof, the gravy train could end tomorrow...make hay while the sun shines.

You can argue it's short term thinking but the numbers are so heavily in favor of keeping the line running, it's silly to think they would do otherwise.

If you didn't take possession, you could put some pressure on the dealer by threatening to undo the deal because of failure to deliver the RV. They will resist giving your cash back but they may find a way to get the part rather than lose the sale.

If you took possession, you have almost no leverage. At that point, if it's cosmetic, you could see if they would be agreeable to you using the unit and they do the repair when they get the part in (get it all in writing, so they don't claim it's post warranty and not covered).

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Mondooker

Florida Gulf Coast

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/22 06:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi guys, I think I understand the reality of the RV industry and the units their capable of turning out. Made even more so with supply chain issues, Covid etc. Sometimes I think we even carve out an exception because “We’re talking the RV industry after all. But that doesn’t mean it right or acceptable?!

The Coach has never left the dealership and there looks like there’s no end in sight. It’s frustrating that much I can tell you. At least now I know what J-Wrap is and I thank you for that.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/22 08:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mondooker wrote:

The Coach has never left the dealership .

In that case, go ask for your money back...that is likely to light a fire under someone...or you get your money back and go find a unit somewhere else.

bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/22 03:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Damage is never a warranty issue unless caused by a warranty failure that caused the damage.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/22 04:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bucky wrote:

Damage is never a warranty issue unless caused by a warranty failure that caused the damage.

If the damage occurred before you take possession and you note it as needing repair before taking possession...yeah, they are stuck dealing with regardless of if it technically meets the definition of "warranty" work.

But like all warranty work, there is little incentive to do it quickly once the buyer has taken possession.

If what the OP has stated is true, the solution is to demand his money back for failure to provide the RV in proper new condition. Might even be to his benefit as I suspect the sales boom is nearing the end, so prices might come down if he goes to buy in a month or two.

Mondooker

Florida Gulf Coast

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/22 06:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It’s a new coach and over and above the dealer PDI, I had an RV inspector go over the Coach. All of the things that were found were noted by the inspector and confirmed by the dealership. So it’s all on the manufacturer/dealer.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> What is J-Wrap?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.