RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: What is J-Wrap?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> What is J-Wrap?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Mondooker

Florida Gulf Coast

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/22 06:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The J-Wrap is under the basement doors and Columbus told me the J-Wrap runs front to back without a seam. Maybe I misunderstood them!

But my question is “How does J-Wrap go from good to bad in 6 days? Seems to me it somehow had to be stressed but am unsure what that would be?

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/22 07:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mondooker wrote:

The J-Wrap is under the basement doors and Columbus told me the J-Wrap runs front to back without a seam. Maybe I misunderstood them!

But my question is “How does J-Wrap go from good to bad in 6 days? Seems to me it somehow had to be stressed but am unsure what that would be?

NOBODY makes and installs a seamless Lower Wrap. Cannot be done. there is no way you could take a 35 foot or longer 1 piece J wrap and NOT kink it trying to install. Remember, the people you talk to at the RV maker have NO CLUE how they are put together. They stay in the office and usually have not been in the Production line. From the pic from the brochure, SOMEBODY at the dealership damaged the J wrap. The type exterior doors on your unit could NOT damage the lower J wrap. When a Dealer requests warranty, they have to take numerous pics of the area of damage. They then must submit a request. Odds are from what you have stated, FR declined warranty coverage as FR found there is no way that damage happened from a fault in construction. When a RV is delivered to the Dealer, there is a check in sheet where all discrepancies and exterior damage is listed. IF what you have now was not listed, the RV maker will not fix under warranty. You state it was NOT like that when you originally looked at the unit. So, it is obvious(to FR also) that the dealer damaged the unit. So, if FR has agreed to fix the unit as long as it is returned to FR, I would go with that fix. I would NOT trust the dealer at this point. Now, WHY would you think anything this dealer tells you is truthful? IF I could back out of the deal, I would, and go elsewhere to another Columbus dealer and purchase. Doug

Mondooker

Florida Gulf Coast

View Profile

Posted: 04/18/22 02:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes sir Doug, I think you got that exactly right! BTW Forest River picked up my coach this morning. Yippee!!! I hope they will tell me what happened with the J-Wrap? And I’ve already told them I’m concerned from the safety aspect. Somehow enough stress was put on the coach to have caused that problem. That’s one reason I want to know the cause because that will speak to other problems.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/18/22 03:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mondooker wrote:

Yes sir Doug, I think you got that exactly right! BTW Forest River picked up my coach this morning. Yippee!!! I hope they will tell me what happened with the J-Wrap? And I’ve already told them I’m concerned from the safety aspect. Somehow enough stress was put on the coach to have caused that problem. That’s one reason I want to know the cause because that will speak to other problems.

They will not tell you what happened as they do not know. The Dealer damaged it and FR is stepping up and fixing the problem. There is NOTHING in the frame or design that would damage a J wrap. The units are driven in excess of 1500 miles to the dealer and if there was ANYTHING about stress, it would come up in that transport. Doug

Mondooker

Florida Gulf Coast

View Profile

Posted: 04/18/22 07:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My thoughts exactly Doug,

The pictures taken by the driver who delivered Coach - no problem.
A professional Inspector, Salesmen and I went over Coach - no problem.
Six (6) days after the above inspection, serious J-Wrap damage on both sides - Big Problem!

No one seems to know what happened (manufacturer will have Coach by end of week) but everyone knows something has! Are there serious safety concerns? Has something happened that will change its resale value?

This is a coach I’ve spent 7 hours in and around during professional PDI and it has never left the dealer. Maybe I’m most concerned because NO ONE has any idea? It scars the heck out of me that I spent good money for something that may have a serious problem. I can only hope I’m told the truth???

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/19/22 06:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mondooker wrote:

My thoughts exactly Doug,

The pictures taken by the driver who delivered Coach - no problem.
A professional Inspector, Salesmen and I went over Coach - no problem.
Six (6) days after the above inspection, serious J-Wrap damage on both sides - Big Problem!

No one seems to know what happened (manufacturer will have Coach by end of week) but everyone knows something has! Are there serious safety concerns? Has something happened that will change its resale value?

This is a coach I’ve spent 7 hours in and around during professional PDI and it has never left the dealer. Maybe I’m most concerned because NO ONE has any idea? It scars the heck out of me that I spent good money for something that may have a serious problem. I can only hope I’m told the truth???

QUOTE - "No one seems to know what happened"

That is because someone hit it in the lot and is afraid for their job...

my buddy and I drove 16 hours to get his brand new Solitude.. we were an hour away and received a call.. a lot attendant side swiped it when moving another RV with the tractor... damage was minor and was was repaired.... They only scraped 1 decal , and scraped a slide topper, both were replaced with new.

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Mondooker

Florida Gulf Coast

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/22 06:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Ford truck guy, You guys knew what happened and what was being done to fix it. My concern is no one seems to know anything! The Coach builder should have it by the end of the week and I hope to know then what happened?

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/22 07:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mondooker wrote:

Hi Ford truck guy, You guys knew what happened and what was being done to fix it. My concern is no one seems to know anything! The Coach builder should have it by the end of the week and I hope to know then what happened?

The dealership is playing Sgt Shultz. I KNOW NOTHING. The dealership has accomplished what it started. It does NOT have to pay thousands of dollars to fix their screw up and have passed to the OEM. Doug

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/20/22 05:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

Mondooker wrote:

The dealership is playing Sgt Shultz. I KNOW NOTHING. The dealership has accomplished what it started. It does NOT have to pay thousands of dollars to fix their screw up and have passed to the OEM. Doug

I agree 100%.. My buddy was lucky, the dealership owned up to it... heck, they showed us the camera footage.. That is how they found out about it.. The lot person did NOT tell anyone, the people that prep it saw it and that when they looked on the camera..

The trailer was 100% usable so he/we took it from TN as is.. the dealership arranged for Grand Design to ship all parts direct to my buddy, the dealership arranged with our local dealership in PA to install everything and send the invoice directly to them in TN..

They even offered to keep the unit, replace the parts and deliver it 16 hours to us, all for free.. we decided to take it as they had trips planned.

I will say, Lazy Days in Murfreesboro TN owned their screw up....

I would have to be concerned with that dealer going forward, as they seam to be covering up something.

Mondooker

Florida Gulf Coast

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/22 07:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Coach builder has had my coach since last week. I believe they will take a look at my coach this week. My hope is they will tell me honestly what caused the problem with 36’ of J-wrap on both sides of the Coach? I’ll let you know when I do!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> What is J-Wrap?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.