RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Lifestyle: Gas prices.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> Gas prices.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
bstar1952

Bandera, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/11/22 10:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad to see that everyone will be able to keep on RVing at these gas prices but we live in reality. We've been RVing over 25 years and been thru several of these inflationary type periods but this one just feels different. Since we're now retired and on a fixed income, here's what we've decided. Yesterday we put the RV and tow truck up for sale. Not into the doom and gloom theory but we don't think the current economy is going away anytime soon and 5-6-7 dollar gas will be here for at least the next 3 to 4 years. We also think that with such high energy costs the RV market will suffer. Certainly hope not, but we can't take the chance on missing the window to sell. We've already received several offers on the truck for more than I paid for it 2 years ago so wahoo. The savings on payments, insurance and taxes will/may help us offset inflation. We also had to ask ourselves, what the point of having expensive "toys" you can't afford to use? We truly hope we're wrong on our future predictions but for us, we won't take the chance of things getting worse. So, we'll find other way to keep us entertained. Wishing only the best to everyone here and safe travels.

Bstar1952
Bandera, Texas
2020 Ram 2500,6.4 Hemi
2019 (East to West) Della Terra 29KRK
Fastway E2 WHD Hitch

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/11/22 02:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A friend has pointed out that since the lion's share of recent gas price hikes are due to the Ukrainian situation, perhaps one should consider those costs our share of the pain those people are bearing in defense of their freedom. And we should be grateful WE are not huddled on the bare concrete floor of a basement dodging bullets with a terrified toddler (or cat!) in our lap.

I agree, go see your father.

And since my tow motor is a diesel, I'm not looking forward to $5+ fuel.

notsobigjoe

southeast

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/22 03:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

notsobigjoe wrote:

Homeless by Choice wrote:

cptqueeg wrote:

Joe with all due respect, cancel 17 of your trips and go see your father even if it means driving your car and staying in motels 2 nights each way.

Times TWO

I'm taking my Ram 1500 4.7 and staying with my uncle in VA and sister in PA. I was going to take the truck and camper just to show dad I'm still doing it. He's has the onset of Alzheimer's and is starting to have a lot of trouble. I was going to go this last winter but it's been so long since I've driven in that winter environment. I will see dad though.... Thanks!

Gems, That's a lot of driving but I kind of did the same thing when we moved to Florida 6 years ago. We always came south for a couple of long weekends in the winter but the winters seemed so much milder back then. [emoticon]

Thank you all for the comments about my Father. Here is what I posted as to me seeing him.

Believe me I could let an earful go as to what is happening "I'm sure we all could" but seeing how I can't do a thing about it why bother. I agree with Bstar that perhaps it's time to downsize. I'm so glad that we didn't sell our old rig and buy new "Special thanks to Grit dog for that". We are turning cash into commodities as I type and have put a bid on a rental property to dump even more cash. I know this has nothing to do with the topic I posted but it's hard to get around it.

As I stated in my opening post I am looking at local campgrounds to travel too and I went to look at this one today. It's beautiful and everything I could possibly want 35 miles away.

https://guyharveycampmack.com/

Anyway as stated above as soon as winter is over up north I'll see dad. LOL, You guys are great!!!
Joe

georgelesley

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/12/22 04:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bstar1952 wrote:

Glad to see that everyone will be able to keep on RVing at these gas prices but we live in reality. We've been RVing over 25 years and been thru several of these inflationary type periods but this one just feels different. Since we're now retired and on a fixed income, here's what we've decided. Yesterday we put the RV and tow truck up for sale. Not into the doom and gloom theory but we don't think the current economy is going away anytime soon and 5-6-7 dollar gas will be here for at least the next 3 to 4 years. We also think that with such high energy costs the RV market will suffer. Certainly hope not, but we can't take the chance on missing the window to sell. We've already received several offers on the truck for more than I paid for it 2 years ago so wahoo. The savings on payments, insurance and taxes will/may help us offset inflation. We also had to ask ourselves, what the point of having expensive "toys" you can't afford to use? We truly hope we're wrong on our future predictions but for us, we won't take the chance of things getting worse. So, we'll find other way to keep us entertained. Wishing only the best to everyone here and safe travels.

Agree, things not likely to get cheaper anytime soon, including fuel. Many reasons, but a basic one that will not change is that the cheap oil and gas have been pumped. Still lots left in the earth, it will just cost more to get it. That will keep fuel costs higher than we are used to. So we did the same as above and in Dec 21 sold our motorhome and toad. A small travel trailer is maybe still possible for us but not anytime soon. Happy and safe travels to all, it has been a great ride for us.

George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

JUSTWORK

east coast

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/22 06:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Coming in late on this but I have to say make the trip to see your Dad first and then worry about the other trips. I lost my 80 year old Dad this past year due to complications from covid..... One day he was in perfect health, working in the yard and playing golf and then gone 4 weeks later. You can camp anytime, like already said..... leave the camper behind and hit the road. Hope it all works out!

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/22 09:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go see your dad

Drive slower, speed while towing has a HUGE impact on MPG.

winnietrey

seattle

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/22 10:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, from my perspective, as a 66-year-old, whose parents are long dead, and whose wife died way to early. If you don't have the money for higher gas that is one thing. But on the other hand, if you have it, but just don't to spend it, that is a big mistake, and a person will regret it later in life. We all get old, we all die, do it while you can, because we never know what is around the corner.

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/12/22 12:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've been RVing over 25 years and been thru several of these inflationary type periods but this one just feels different. Since we're now retired and on a fixed income,here's what we've decided.

You answered your own question. You are retired now, on a fixed income and sounding a bit panicky. Completely understandable. Priorities change and being on a fixed income makes the whole situation a lot scarier. However, if you are that willing to just cut and run that quickly I think the thought of retiring from the lifestyle has crossed your mind prior to this. I might do the same in your shoes-the objective in life is to make it less stressful. There are, indeed, many ways to travel. I'm sure you'll start your new chapter, whatever it may be.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/12/22 05:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We're currently in Florida and have 18 mostly state park reservations in 6 states from here to NY through the end of the year. We have no intentions of canceling any of them, and are working on the scheduling to make a few more. Our take on gas prices is that a $1/gallon price increase at 8 MPG adds $125 to the fuel cost of a 1,000 mile trip, and that's not enough to make us park our home. We can cut expenses in other areas if necessary.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

georgelesley

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/22 06:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crowe wrote:

We've been RVing over 25 years and been thru several of these inflationary type periods but this one just feels different. Since we're now retired and on a fixed income,here's what we've decided.

You answered your own question. You are retired now, on a fixed income and sounding a bit panicky. Completely understandable. Priorities change and being on a fixed income makes the whole situation a lot scarier. However, if you are that willing to just cut and run that quickly I think the thought of retiring from the lifestyle has crossed your mind prior to this. I might do the same in your shoes-the objective in life is to make it less stressful. There are, indeed, many ways to travel. I'm sure you'll start your new chapter, whatever it may be.

Crowe, I have always admired your take on things and agree with you on this one as well. As I recall you folks took a break from RV’ing for awhile and are now back in the game. We did decide as I posted awhile ago to sell the rv. Gas prices were certainly not the main reason. We may get back into rv’ing, the door for us is not closed. Right now international travel seems to be our thing but that at least for me is a very limited interest having been in 33 countries already. DW is currently in Paris, France with a granddaughter having a great time while I do honeydo’s at home and play my music. Thanks for the thoughtful post as always.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> Gas prices.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.