|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> rv fridge

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/22 01:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just because you take the power away from it the fridge is not going hot in the next half hour. It is no different from losing power in a storm. You are good for hours.

If you don't have one already, get an inverter large enough to comfortably handle the fridge. Of course that inverter is of little use if you don't you don't have the battery bank to support it. The TV will charge, or attempt to charge, the trailer while going down the road. The weak link there is the distance from alternator to trailer battery bank & the thickness of the wires. VD, voltage drop. Make sure that the inverter is not feeding anything else in the trailer to get longest life out of the battery bank as you roll down the road.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/22 01:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dedmiston wrote:

JRscooby wrote:

I would question your definition of "a lot of power". My absorption fridge works just fine on the excess power generated by the alternator. Compressor fridge is known to use less power.

I’m thinking of the dozens of threads I’ve seen here from people frustrated about the fact that their residential fridge drains their batteries during the day (if, and that’s a big if, they even have an inverter and can run it while they drive) and they wish their dealer had explained to them that they don’t have enough power to drive from Point A to Point B and that they can’t boondock without running their gen all night. It’s enough firsthand accounts of frustration to indicate that the residential fridges draw more power than most people are equipped with, at least not until they invest in a lot of upgrades.

I really don't have a dog in this fight. I can hook up to my trailer, plug in the light cord, and turn on the fridge, after the trailer has been setting long enough that inside the fridge is average summer temp. Drive a couple of hours, with only power from the alternator going to fridge. (Not any control circuit, but to the heating element) Couple of hours later, I can set up camper, remove bag of cool charcoal, put in food. Few minutes after I close the door, the inside temp reads below 40.
Now I know inverter takes power even when nothing plugged in is drawing power. And I know the bigger the inverter, the more power it takes under no load. And I know most install a inverter large enough to carry most of the camper loads. I wonder if the residential fridge/inverter would work longer on battery if used a inverter just big enough for fridge? Leave the big one off when not needed.

AllegroD

Outdare

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/22 04:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

machunt,

What RV do you have? This is critical to having a targeted discussion with you.

Your issue should not be what to do while in storage. You can turn off the 12v and the inverter, so no additional draw on the batts. You can also unplug an RR fridge and like an RV fridge, leave the door open.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/22 07:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

afidel wrote:

The much bigger deal than the inefficiency it's that the inverter draws a load 24x7 which eats quite a few watt-hours. For inverters rated at say 2kw this actually ends up eating more Wh than their inefficiency. What some folks do is have a relatively small inverter that is just big enough to handle the motor surge of the fridge and then have a second inverter for running loads like the microwave or coffee pot which they can turn off when not in use.

Semantics again...I was lumping that in with the inefficiency. I would presume if you get a monster 2000-3000w inverter, it's on for other purposes.

If you are just running the fridge, something around 400w will likely do the trick.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/22 07:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dieseltruckdriver wrote:

and give more fridge space than the same size cutout absorption fridge.

Yes, our current rig came with a 12v and for the same size door, it probably has 50% more interior volume.

machunt

cincinnati ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/14/22 06:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think we went way off topic. Only thing i was asking was best way to run a residential fridge while in storage before heading out on a trip, and keep it running while on the road. We dont boondock. We have 2011 keystone outback sydney 5th wheel

larry cad

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/22 06:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

machunt wrote:

I think we went way off topic. Only thing i was asking was best way to run a residential fridge while in storage before heading out on a trip, and keep it running while on the road. We dont boondock. We have 2011 keystone outback sydney 5th wheel

In storage there is only one good option for any fridge, and that is to plug it in, unless you have a generator that can run all the time.

On the road, you have several options as have been described in this forum. Keeping any fridge running in storage, without 120v source, just won't work. Any battery configuration will run down eventually.

Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/22 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you don't boondock then why not go 12V fridge? I have one and I wired it directly to the batteries with an inline fuse. No inverter needed. More storage than a typical absorption fridge. Cools down faster as well.
2x100 solar panels on the roof and it will keep the batteries charged when cooling down before a trip and while on route.
Most newer 12V fridges are plug n play with the OEM absorption fridges from Norcold and Dometic.

Option 2 would be 200w solar, 1000W inverter and a res fridge. Just make sure the res fridge meets the space requirements.

The biggest battery draw is in the initial cool down. Once cool the fridge doesn't draw down the battery as bad.

2 batteries would be the minimum for either fridge.

Not sure what your plan is for cooling the fridge and taking off on your trip.
If your only needing one night for cool down the just 2 batteries would work, and then on your travels the truck will help maintain the batteries till you get to your 120V hookup.

If you're looking at needing several days of cool down then you'll need to supplement the batteries with some solar.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> rv fridge
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.