RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tioga Won't Budge after long neglect. Help, please.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Tioga Won't Budge after long neglect. Help, please.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
211Racing

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/22 06:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AAA did finally go outside their contracted tow services and send a "Medium" size truck (Huge vehicle). Lifted the front wheels. Disconnected the drive train. Towed it 23 miles without incident. Final cost: $850 of which AAA paid the first $500.

olfarmer

Iowa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/23/22 02:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad to hear that you finally got the tow! Have you been able to get it going yet? Thanks for keeping us posted on your results!

Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

211Racing

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/22 05:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I drained the tank (fortunately the RV upgrade tank had a drain plug at the bottom) last week. Just dropped the tank to the ground today. Easy Peazy if you've got a pneumatic impact wrench (finally broke down and bought one this morning), and a bunch of jacks to lower it. Two of the three fuel fittings on the fuel pump are fighting me now. Extraordinarily difficult to get two hands in there at the same time. Sprayed penetrant on those and the bolts securing the fuel pump and will let that work until tomorrow. Everything I read said I would find two fittings coming out of the fuel pump. Of course there are three. Reminder never to order/buy anything until you've got the old part off and in your hands.

capacitor

California

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/22 07:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Could the third be for a generator?

211Racing

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/22 07:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm guessing so. I haven't traced any lines. No idea if the generator runs (not looking forward to trying). Non-functional fuel pump and no house battery means the carburetor will need to be patient.

olfarmer

Iowa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/25/22 08:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like you are making progress! My guess is that the 3rd line is for the generator.

30sweeds

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/22 08:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 3d line is for the evap system,an emissions thing.On the pump...buy the pump only kit with the screen,wire harness,seals,and install it on the original housing.If you use the whole assembly like you bought,odds are the gas gauge will be off and the pick up tube will be the wrong length.

211Racing

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/22 11:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's good intel. Thank you.

211Racing

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/22 11:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tough day. Pulled the tank. Removed all the lines. Pulled it out from under the RV. Soaked the Fuel Pump bolts with Kroil. Waited a couple hours. Tapped on them a bit to loosen. Then proceeded to snap all 6 off with maybe 10lbs of torque. Two were almost completely rusted through as you see in the image. So ... time to clean all that up and drill/tap those bolt heads (which are welded on the inside). Three of them I almost off until the metal fatigued and failed. Two steps forward, one step back.
[image]
[image]Click For Full-Size Image.

[image]
[image]Click For Full-Size Image.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/22 02:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, thats kind of ugly..

Since you have it down, brush off any loose rust and treat it with a rust converter. I use Ospho which converts the rust to a black paintable surface. Once treated with a rust converter the rust will not come back or creep.

Treat any place where you see even light rust on the outside of the tank with a rust converter..

All rust converter treated areas must then be topcoated with paint for maximum durablity.

Consider painting the entire top of the tank with a durable paint like a rubberized bedliner.. Harbor Freight believe it or not carries their own bedliner paint in a can that is pretty tough. Do not use Rustoleum bedliner, it is junk, it is nothing more than textured paint, it is not rubberized and scratches easily.. I would suggest using bedliner on the entire outside and even the tank straps for good measure.. I live in the rust belt, steel tanks tend to fail on the tops and where the tank straps touch the tanks..

The pix showing the inside looked OK but if you can see any spot inside the tank that has signs of rust you may wish to consider using a tank liner system..

Por15 products makes a tank liner paint system that holds up well to Ethanol.. It is a multi stage/product were you must use a Etching/cleaner then the actual tank liner.. With Por15 tank liner products you need to read and follow the instructions to the "t".

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Tioga Won't Budge after long neglect. Help, please.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.