RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: connect coach and house batteries?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> connect coach and house batteries?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/22 03:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

altblank wrote:

i'd like the solar panels to charge both house and coach batteries if possible, and am considering two options:
- one, add a positive wire between both batteries (assuming they're grounded to the same setup) so any overage from the house battery trickles down to the coach battery
This will initially cause the higher voltage battery to discharge to the lower voltage battery and then solar will charge both during the day and both will discharge at night due to whatever is causing the excessive drain.
- two, change the momentary battery boost button to an actual toggle (and leave it on), assuming that this won't screw up the larger converter or other systems This will add the additional drain of the solenoid to the above.

any advise is appreciated... if i'm clear to go option one (which i prefer), is there a shorter path to connect both batteries together instead of routing an 8gauge wire between house steps and engine bay? Yes the battery boost solenoid.
thank you!
I also have full battery disconnect switches on both battery bank posts. That does leave battery self discharge which is low.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/14/22 04:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What you need is called Trik-L-Start.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/22 05:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

Matt's right. Get it fixed right. It will never fix itself and makes your vehicle undependable.

AGREE !!

Start by buying an amp clamp meter. Under $75. Make sure it does DC amps. Simply clamp it on either the positive or negative battery cable in the engine compartment. You might get a reading for a couple of minutes after turn off the engine before it goes to very near zero.

It you me getting a reading, you will need to do more investigation. This can be a bit daunting for a novice but there are a lot of videos on YouTube.

Ed_Gee

Central Oregon coast

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/22 09:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KD4UPL wrote:

What KD4UPL said. Works great on our coach too, letting our solar or shore power harge both house batteries and coach battery..

Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/22 10:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KD4UPL wrote:

I love my Trik-L-Start

There are also voltage sensitive relays. I use one on my generator battery and I'm well please by it.

Do make the effort to find the parasitic load.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/15/22 10:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would just disconnect the neg cable on your chassis battery set your HF multimeter to 10 amps and put the leads between the neg post and neg terminal and see what your parasitic draw is. Post that number here and we can tell you what to do next. To see if your chassis battery would charge when connected to the house batteries just turn your key to the ACC position don’t start the eng and take a reading on both batteries they should read 13 + volts .

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/22 02:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just a tip, extend the steps turn off the step switch, some have a light. That will be on, many steps are wired.to chassis battery , double.check your storage compartments lights are off , also entry/porch and security/docking lights
I have seen lots of weird mods done to RV wiring

I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

altblank

??

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/22 11:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hey all. thank you for your very valuable replies. there are a bunch of great suggestions, which i will take up over the next few days:
- find out parasitic draw
- fix the root cause of the chassis battery's discharging

in addition, i'll pick up a 100w solar panel and plug it in to the chassis battery, just to be sure it will never die on me. will also replace the battery; i'm sure a few months of sitting at 0 is likely not very good for its longevity [emoticon]

i already have a bunch of cables and a spare charge controller (picked up 2 full sets earlier and connected both panels to a single controller that maintains the house battery), and have the remaining pieces still lying around.

i'll respond in detail once i've had a chance to test the parasitic draw off of the battery, and will check individual fuses to figure out what exactly may be going on. thanks!

2004 Coachmen Freelander 3100SO, with a bunch of little mods.

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/22 04:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you connect the two HARD. then if you do something stupid (And you will, we all do) like leave the headlights on.. You are... In trouble.

So there is a device called a "Trick-L-Start" 3 wire hookup at the battery isolator solenoid.. one lead to HOUSE. one to MAIN. and ground.

IF the house batteries are charging/charged. it will "Connect" the chassis to keep it charged as well.. IF NOT or if the voltage drops below some point.. it Isolates.. So you still have power in one of the batteries you can use to crank up Mr. Onan's contribution to your RV (or whatever generator you have).

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MNtundraRet

Bloomington, MN

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/22 02:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would not recommend having the chassis battery(s) connected "full time" to the house batteries. The Chassis (starting batteries) are not deep cycle. They will draw down first before the deep cycle batteries if any 12v device is in use.

The temporary hold button is meant to use when needing help starting the engine.

Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> connect coach and house batteries?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.