RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: What is your speed uphill?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> What is your speed uphill?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
speediq99

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/22 08:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you for sharing this information.

The reason for this question is that we ordered two trucks, a RAM 3500 DRW LB and an F350 DRW LB. The RAM came in first so we took it. The Ford is getting built. From the sound of responses, it sounds like either truck will do just fine.

MC

NamMedevac 70

Reno

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/22 09:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Going up hill tends to be slower than going downhill. But if you have a monster truck then

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/22 09:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

speediq99 wrote:

The reason for this question is that we ordered two trucks, a RAM 3500 DRW LB and an F350 DRW LB. The RAM came in first so we took it. The Ford is getting built. From the sound of responses, it sounds like either truck will do just fine.

MC

Is the DRW RAM an AISIN with the highest HP/TQ or the 68RFE.

If you happen to tow in REAL mountains like the West Coast has to offer the downhill holding of the RAM is unbeatable. If you want a race car going up 6-7% grades the Ford may do better.

Maybe you should keep both.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/22 10:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

speediq99 wrote:

MC

If the market in the US is even close to the Canadian market you'd be money ahead running the Ram till the Ford comes in, then sell the Ram, buy the Ford and pocket the difference.

2022 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/22 11:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

speediq99 wrote:

Most videos I have seen (2019) have people flooring the RAM and getting to 45mph on 6% hills towing 28K lbs. What can I expect towing 16k?

More than 45MPH most likely.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

trail-explorer

NM

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/22 11:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

speediq99 wrote:

What can I expect towing 16k? Does the RAM have enough power to keep up good speed going up hill?

Speed you go up hill depends on how far down you mash the skinny pedal. .[emoticon][emoticon][emoticon][emoticon]

When I tow uphill, Faster speed = higher ECT, higher trans temps, higher EGTs, so I base my speed off those numbers. I adjust my speed and the gear I put the trans in to keep those numbers in check, especially the ECT and EGT.

Get a monitor that plugs in to the OBDII port. I have an Edge Insight CTS2. Current model is the CTS3

Bob

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/22 11:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

speediq99 wrote:

MC

I don't think uphill towing performance would be a determining factor with those two trucks, both should perform about the same. The Ram probably has an advantage downhill with the exhaust brake and definitely has an advantage with the CP3 pump vs the CP4 pump that Ford continues to use. The Ford has a better transmission and is probably a more reliable truck minus the engine. They're both good options overall.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/22 04:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

blofgren wrote:

And remember there are some trucks that may pull the hill a bit slower, but will do it reliably mile after mile, year after year....[emoticon]

Care to share a picture of your odometer?

At almost 10 years old this truck continues to pull like a train mile after mile and year after year. Engine/Transmission hasn't been touched to date. AC compressor and alternator were the two biggest repairs to date and still original water pump. Also you can add 5-6k more miles since this picture was taken.

[image]

Also the 2020-2022 Power Strokes have proven to be the most fuel efficient diesel and the Ram has the best exhaust brake.

* This post was edited 03/15/22 07:00pm by FishOnOne *

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"200k Mile Club"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/15/22 08:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

blofgren wrote:

And remember there are some trucks that may pull the hill a bit slower, but will do it reliably mile after mile, year after year....[emoticon]

At almost 10 years old this truck continues to pull like a train mile after mile and year after year. Engine/Transmission hasn't been touched to date. AC compressor and alternator were the two biggest repairs to date and still original water pump. Also you can add 5-6k more miles since this picture was taken.

[image]

Also the 2020-2022 Power Strokes have proven to be the most fuel efficient diesel and the Ram has the best exhaust brake.

On 3.15.2022 Fish said something nice about RAM, I will put a star on my calendar marking the day.

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/22 08:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me Again wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

blofgren wrote:

[image]

On 3.15.2022 Fish said something nice about RAM, I will put a star on my calendar marking the day.

Lol!
He’s been a closet Ram fan for years…don’t let him fool ya!

Cheers, Fish!

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> What is your speed uphill?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.