RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: trailer wheel weight rating/compared to tire psi rating?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> trailer wheel weight rating/compared to tire psi rating?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
Sponsored By:
MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/15/22 05:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

My 6-bolt wheels on 5200 lb axles with oem 225/75R 15 D-rated 2540 max wt tires. My wheels are steel and are marked 2,600 max weight. My FW GVWR is 12,110, which would mean 10K max on tires/wheels. I have a 4K CCC, so FW never loaded to GVWR. I am thinking not much more than 8,500 lbs on tires/wheels most times.

I am planning to replace the tires this Spring. My first choice is GY Endurance 225/75R 15E with max rating 2,830 at 80 psi. I understand that at 65 psi, these tires would carry same 2540 as current D tires.

My question is...if I inflate these new E-rated tires to 80 psi, giving the tires full load carrying capacity, will the wheels take that increase in pressure? I will replace the rubber stems, with 80 psi rated stems.

Any of you heavy commercial haulers ever break a steel trailer wheel from a bit over listed max weight?

Jerry

eHoefler

ozark mountains

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/22 06:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You have to replace the wheels to accommodate the higher pressure.

2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

CapriRacer

Somewhere in the US

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/22 06:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

[image]

My 6-bolt wheels on 5200 lb axles with oem 225/75R 15 D-rated 2540 max wt tires. My wheels are steel and are marked 2,600 max weight. My FW GVWR is 12,110, which would mean 10K max on tires/wheels. I have a 4K CCC, so FW never loaded to GVWR. I am thinking not much more than 8,500 lbs on tires/wheels most times.

I am planning to replace the tires this Spring. My first choice is GY Endurance 225/75R 15E with max rating 2,830 at 80 psi. I understand that at 65 psi, these tires would carry same 2540 as current D tires.

My question is...if I inflate these new E-rated tires to 80 psi, giving the tires full load carrying capacity, will the wheels take that increase in pressure? I will replace the rubber stems, with 80 psi rated stems.

Any of you heavy commercial haulers ever break a steel trailer wheel from a bit over listed max weight?

Jerry

I've been trying to answer that question for many years. I have yet to get a definitive answer. Why?

1) Because federal regulations do NOT require a max load and/or max pressure on wheels - only tires. This is likely because wheel failures are not very common. It appears that if your wheels are marked it is because of the manufacturer of the wheels - perhaps for legal liability reasons and not because of an actual stress limitation?

2) Every time I talk to a wheel designer, they say they design wheels according to the max load - and do NOT consider inflation pressure at all. But since this is always a one-on-one conversation, I don't consider this definitive.

So the best information I have been able to dig up is that it OK to inflate your tires to more than the max pressure stamped on the wheels.

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

Roger10378

Goodrich, MI.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/15/22 06:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tires don't have to be inflated to Max. Your E rated tires will carry the same load at 65 psi as the D tires.

2005 Cardinal 30TS
2007 Chevy 2500HD D/A

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/15/22 06:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

[image]

Jerry

While you likely are correct on your weights, why not hit the scales so you know for sure?

The other option is to upgrade to 16" wheels.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/15/22 06:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I looked at wheels at E-trailer, in my style/size, and the highest wt rating I found was 2,640, compared to mine at 2,600. Not enough to consider buying new wheels.

I have no psi rating on my wheels, just max wt 2,600. I kind of agree with above, since no max psi listed on my wheels, I should be able to inflate them to 80 psi, rather than 65 psi. I will never have more than 2,600 on a given wheel, but would like to use the tire margin of 2,830.

Jerry

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/15/22 07:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Roger10378 wrote:

Tires don't have to be inflated to Max. Your E rated tires will carry the same load at 65 psi as the D tires.

Thanks for your reply, but if you noticed in my OP, I said "I understand that the new E-rated tires would carry same load as Ds at 65 psi."

I want to maintain stiff sidewalls, due to hard scrubbing in tight backing. This is every time I return home, and sometimes when camping. Also, a heavier E rated tire, will run hotter at 65 psi, compared to running 75-80 psi.

Jerry

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/15/22 07:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhagfo wrote:

While you likely are correct on your weights, why not hit the scales so you know for sure?

The other option is to upgrade to 16" wheels.

Thanks for the reply Russ.

The only scale close by is the county landfill, that I don't care to take my FW through the debris on the road to/from, or scale area access. I know I don't have a wt issue, and would replace with Endurance D-rated, if they were available. It is hard to find the D-rated Providers that I have, at this time, and where available the Ds cost more than the Endurance Es.

Yes, I could buy 16" wheels/tires, but way overkill for my rig. It would also decrease my upper wheel well clearance.

Jerry

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/15/22 07:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

eHoefler wrote:

You have to replace the wheels to accommodate the higher pressure.

This is mostly what I am asking, as my wheels are rated 2,600 lbs (no psi rating). I mentioned above, when looking for 15" similar steel wheels, the highest wt rating at E-trailer was 2,640.

Capriracer stated, "when asking wheel manufacturers, they indicated, but would not commit, that psi not really an issue."

Jerry

garyp4951

TN

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/22 07:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have 15" Westlakes E and will be getting the GY Endurance soon, and I have the same wheel well problem of going to 16".

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> trailer wheel weight rating/compared to tire psi rating?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.