RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: trailer wheel weight rating/compared to tire psi rating?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> trailer wheel weight rating/compared to tire psi rating?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/16/22 06:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It seems no one can give a definite answer to my question, but I thank all of you for your posts! It was encouraging to hear a few others say they are using an E tire on similar wheels as mine.

I contacted southwest tire/wheel, per JIMNLIN's suggestion. I am waiting to hear from them, after asking if I can mount a 225/75/15 E-rated tire, on their white spoke wheel that is rated 2,600 lb max wt, which is same as mine. I asked if I can inflate to 80 psi, allowing the tire max of 2,830, but never reaching even 2,500 lbs actual wt on any wheel.

I will post their answer, if I get one.

Jerry

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/22 09:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jerry I know you want an answer but reality is you won’t inflate your tires to 80.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/16/22 10:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Jerry I know you want an answer but reality is you won’t inflate your tires to 80.

Kind of true, but never liked the idea of using a higher rated tire than needed, then deflate them to fit the load, when using an ST trailer specific tire. I don't need an E-rated or load capacity of 2830 per tire.

My reality is...I need a quality ST 225/75R/15 in D-rating 2,540 capacity at 65 lbs. If GY Endurance came in this size, 8 ply, D-rated, they would already be on the way.

Friends don't always agree, and some are highly opinionated. I know this has nothing to do with you and I!!! [emoticon]

Jerry

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/22 11:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Kind of true, but never liked the idea of using a higher rated tire than needed, then deflate them to fit the load, when using an ST trailer specific tire. I don't need an E-rated or load capacity of 2830 per tire.

My reality is...I need a quality ST 225/75R/15 in D-rating 2,540 capacity at 65 lbs. If GY Endurance came in this size, 8 ply, D-rated, they would already be on the way.

Friends don't always agree, and some are highly opinionated. I know this has nothing to do with you and I!!! [emoticon]

Jerry

Everyone has their opinions and that is what makes us unique. I always say why do they make weight/inflation charts? I say to be used.

I use the chart on my DRW running empty. 35psi is the lowest pressure on the chart. I am a rebel and run 30 on my rears with plenty of capacity. If I did not the centers would be worn out. 53k on my tires and will easily get 60k and that is towing at 1/2 the time with 6k pin and the other half with the truck weighing 10k.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/22 12:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My new Continentals have a 6,005# rating @ 125psi. My per tire load is around 4,500# I am not going to inflate to 125. Using the chart I will run 100psi and see how the heat is. 125 will make for a very rough ride.

[image]
[image]

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/16/22 01:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On that note...maybe time for Barney to just close my thread. Thanks to all serious replies, including my friend Ron! [emoticon]

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/22 01:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

On that note...maybe time for Barney to just close my thread. Thanks to all serious replies, including my friend Ron! [emoticon]

Hey now let's not be quitters!!! [emoticon] I want to hear what the wheel company tells you.

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/16/22 01:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

as do I

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/16/22 04:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey guys, no quitter, but thread has gone sideways. I've been busy wearing my Domestic Engineers hat this afternoon! Yup, man of many talents!

As much as I'd like to have a knowledgeable source say it's okay, a 2600 lb rated wheel can easily handle the 80 psi of an E-rated tire, it likely won't happen. I suspect a company in the tire/wheel business will give a CYA statement, if at all.

I did learn that some others are using more psi than their wheel may be rated for, with no issue.

I absolutely agree with Ron, and most others, that the tire inflation charts are useful, especially pertaining to HD truck inflation pressure. My truck tires are well below what it says on the door panel.

I always considered BurbMan to be a standup guy, must have hit a nerve, or maybe offended his buddy?? They will recover!

All have a great evening!

Jerry

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/16/22 04:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here ya go, too busy with housework to check my mail.

Southwest Wheel
Wed 3/16/2022 2:56 PM
We do not know of a wheel rated for the E rated tires. Sometimes the tire guys forget to talk to the wheel guys. You might look for a DexStar Wheel, they will be more expensive, but they would be the only group we know of that might have this.

Thank you,

SOUTHWEST WHEEL®

Celebrating 100 years in business

4809 S Westmoreland Rd

Dallas, TX 75237

(800) 866-3336

www.southwestwheel.com

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> trailer wheel weight rating/compared to tire psi rating?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2023 CWI, Inc. © 2023 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.