|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> In 2 years time I can no longer afford to buy a camper

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
restlessways

Limbo

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/18/22 11:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

I am not convinced prices are coming down much on lightly used and well maintained RVs.
I don't see the prices for new moving down either.

World has gone mad. Getting tough out there.

Perhaps not, but I'm going to go with my gut and guess that, with the record number of RVs purchased this past year, and the pain coming for the record number of debtors out there, that if any "asset" is going to return to its historic rate of depreciation, it's RVs.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/22 07:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bought my first truck camper in '72. It was a new 8' overhead model with hyd jacks at the corners...ice box...heater... no a/c....3 burner stove with oven...12v fresh water pump. Cost was 1095 bucks at the 1972 Tulsa Boat and travel show.
Tornado in '75 got it.
The mfg made the same 8' unit up till the late '90s but with A/C added...propane fridge...other added appliance improvements. The last year same model went for 9700 bucks.

Same with trucks. Brand new 1973 Super Cheyenne (before the Silverado) 2500 454 4wd loaded for 3275 bucks.

If your looking to buy don't wait for even higher prices.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/22 10:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BradW wrote:

I need a new Miller mig welding machine. I've been looking at them for the last 3 years. In that time the machine I wanted has gone from about $2400 to $4000. Whoever is saying inflation is 7.9% is full of it.

that's correct....inflation (consumer) in the US is running 16% ++ presently. But it's not as high as it was in 1917, when inflation was 19.6%. But at this rate, real inflation (your purchasing power) may take a 20% or 30% hit in near future. When consumer interest rates hit 12% to 16%. Imagine how much a mortgage payment will cost then? Better renew fast. I should have started a chartered bank 3 years ago, and got $billions in free money from the Fed at 0%.....to lend out at 8% !

...the way "we" measure inflation today (CPI) is all wrong. We need to measure inflation based on the stuff we really buy. Look at gasoline. In our neck of the woods, gasoline prices went up by 50% (!). What about home heating cost? A travel trailer? We were looking at a particular brand of trailers. 3 years ago, $22,700. Today? $38,000.

But I'm preaching to the choir [emoticon]

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

notsobigjoe

southeast

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/22 11:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

silversand wrote:

BradW wrote:

I need a new Miller mig welding machine. I've been looking at them for the last 3 years. In that time the machine I wanted has gone from about $2400 to $4000. Whoever is saying inflation is 7.9% is full of it.

that's correct....inflation (consumer) in the US is running 16% ++ presently. But it's not as high as it was in 1917, when inflation was 19.6%. But at this rate, real inflation (your purchasing power) may take a 20% or 30% hit in near future. When consumer interest rates hit 12% to 16%. Imagine how much a mortgage payment will cost then? Better renew fast. I should have started a chartered bank 3 years ago, and got $billions in free money from the Fed at 0%.....to lend out at 8% !

...the way "we" measure inflation today (CPI) is all wrong. We need to measure inflation based on the stuff we really buy. Look at gasoline. In our neck of the woods, gasoline prices went up by 50% (!). What about home heating cost? A travel trailer? We were looking at a particular brand of trailers. 3 years ago, $22,700. Today? $38,000.

But I'm preaching to the choir [emoticon]

At the risk of starting some back and fourth, I'm already seeing the housing market "which I follow" coming down in Central Florida. I am seeing the cost of certain new travel trailers also coming down as in dealer rebates and sales. Not all but the cheaper lines. Groceries have dropped some here too. NOT! a ton but some, a little bit. Gas was 4.49 this time last week and it's down to 4.19 today. Cycles happen because of political and world events and of course people taking advantage of a bad situation. I bring this up because my wife and I are looking to dump some cash in a rental but our realtor said lets wait for a while and see what happens. She thinks the housing market is ready to bust.

restlessways

Limbo

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/19/22 02:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JIMNLIN wrote:

If your looking to buy don't wait for even higher prices.

I don't subscribe to the "hurry up and buy!" mentality. Not at all. In fact, when that gets ingrained in people, I take a step or two way back. Which is what I am doing now. I don't NEED a new truck camper. I can happily go through the rest of my life and never buy one. I already own an RV. I'm not in a hurry to jump into another depreciating asset. Yes, I did say DEPRECIATING, because that's what they are.

This current price action is temporary, in my opinion. All the stimulus money has been pushed into the economy. That is over. Now the FED's tightening, and credit will be drying up. I have a sneaking suspicion in a few years that RV sellers will be begging for a sale.

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/22 01:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have slowed down the timeline on building on my property due to the work and supply shortages. With the current elevated prices, I can wait it out a couple of years. Sometimes you have adjust to current conditions even if you were ready yesterday to step ahead.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE

covered wagon

USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/22 10:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BradW wrote:

It's because as soon as you are seen coming in the door with the thick heavy Redneck wallet the computers uptick all the amounts throughout the whole store. It's called customer appreciation day when they see you coming.

mike/kellie

northern calif.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/20/22 01:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Or the newly coined phrase " dynamic pricing" which is meant to overcharge with a smile-

2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/23/22 02:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

restlessways wrote:

Hell no. I was going to buy a Northern Lite 2 years ago and they were $44k. Now they are asking as much as $76k for the same model. At that rate you can count me out. I thought the $44k was a lot.
The world has gone mad with items in short supply. I suppose same as new vehicles... no more discounts, put your name in on a wait list, no choice of color or trim level, and good luck negotiating the ADM down as the next buyer will take it before the end of the day.

Best to be patient for now or look for a used item.

Housing, mortgages, and rent are the same situation.

* This post was edited 03/23/22 02:29pm by time2roll *

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

restlessways

Limbo

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/23/22 09:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

restlessways wrote:

Hell no. I was going to buy a Northern Lite 2 years ago and they were $44k. Now they are asking as much as $76k for the same model. At that rate you can count me out. I thought the $44k was a lot.
The world has gone mad with items in short supply. I suppose same as new vehicles... no more discounts, put your name in on a wait list, no choice of color or trim level, and good luck negotiating the ADM down as the next buyer will take it before the end of the day.

Best to be patient for now or look for a used item.

Housing, mortgages, and rent are the same situation.

Yeah, and I'm starting to think we just hit a massive blow-off top in everything, with the high fuel prices being an exclamation point. These prices are in no way sustainable, and I am seeing some of the greediest for sale listings imaginable. People are free to ask whatever they want, of course, but it kind of shows poor character when you want $30,0000 for a 15 year old camper. It's like everybody's looking for a sucker. Really gross.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> In 2 years time I can no longer afford to buy a camper
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.