RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Bedroom door comes open during travel.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Bedroom door comes open during travel.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/22 10:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I noticed that the bedroom door sometimes comes open during travel. I assume it's due to the rigors of going down the road and the FW frame flexing. I am worried the doorknob will eventually put a hole in the wall. Was thinking of a 2 way door stop like this one:
2 way door stop

But the FW door gap is greater at the floor than a residential door.

I guess I could make one out of wood and attach foam rubber to it. I am concerned a magnetic latch wouldn't hold it on a bad road.

Anyone have this issue and a solution?

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

Janss

Sedona, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/21/22 11:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have an issue with a pocket door that I want to put a door stop. But it also has a large gap at the ground. So I am following this post.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

Y-Guy

Tri-Cities, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/22 12:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll our bathroom door does that too, if we seat it just right it will stay closed, but often it was bouncing around. I started by by cutting the plate a bit wider, but the final solution was to get a new knob and that solved the problem. I was about to install something like this

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
2011 Jeep Wrangler

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/21/22 12:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Velcro? Or get a dead bolt.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/21/22 12:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have a bit too much distance between the door, and door jam, you may be able to add a shim behind the striker plate. A piece of paint stick, or popsicle stick glued behind, stained to match, might work. Like mentioned, a new knob, with longer sliding latch may be a good fix.

As to the pocket door, that Janss mentioned, mine has a factory installed strap with snap, as I'd think many would have.

Jerry

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/22 01:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

If you have a bit too much distance between the door, and door jam, you may be able to add a shim behind the striker plate. A piece of paint stick, or popsicle stick glued behind, stained to match, might work. Like mentioned, a new knob, with longer sliding latch may be a good fix.

As to the pocket door, that Janss mentioned, mine has a factory installed strap with snap, as I'd think many would have.

Jerry

Ditto to both answers here.

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/22 01:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Monaco DP with 2 pocket doors, one on each side of the bathroom, with things you push down and lock while moving. I have never had a door move while moving unless I forgot to push them down. Not trying to be a jerk but if you look at the higher end units you find all kinds of little things that make life easier.

Allworth

Orlando, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/21/22 01:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Screen door hook and eye.

Also, I had a pocket door into the bathroom that would not stay open. Put a small cup hook in the wall on each side (one in BR; one in Bath), set horizontal. Hook a big rubber band between them.

Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
2008 Titanium 30E35SA; EZ-Lube axles; wet bolts; spring hanger gussetts; BFG Commercial TAs
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/22 02:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the replies. All good ideas. The bathroom door jamb may be close enough to bungee the BR door knob to it but first I'll try adjusting the strike plate or hinge plates although it's not really off the way it is. In reading posts on similar issues on another forum, it seems East West doors have this issue more than North South doors. I would imagine there is more lateral flex than longitudinal. And more of a TT or FW issue than a MH, I assume because of the chassis frame on a towable has more flex. I'd rather not permanently attach anything to the door or frame that I didn't have to, to keep things looking stock. I could make a 2 sided door stop from 1x with some rubber feet easy enough (at least the plans in my head seem easy).

To the poster with the pocket door issue, mine came with a strap and snap as another poster noted. Seems easy enough to install something like that even if you did it with Velcro.

TXiceman

Full Time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/22 05:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How about a magnetic door stop?
Door stop.

Ken

Amateur Radio Operator.
2013 HitchHiker 38RLRSB Champagne, toted with a 2012, F350, 6.7L PSD, Crewcab, dually. 3.73 axle, Full Time RVer.
Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Bedroom door comes open during travel.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.