RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Is it common to remove your truck camper at your camp spot?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Is it common to remove your truck camper at your camp spot?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
JimBollman

Lost State of Franklin

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/22 05:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since you haven't bought a TC yet you may want to consider that part of your reason for looking at truck campers was getting into tighter spots. We had a series of truck camper softer the year and found that popup 8 or 8.5' that did not hang beyond the back of our 8' truck box worked the best for us. It was only 7' tall and about 7' wide. We ran a standard cab to further the mobility and park ability. We could park nearly anywhere a normal truck could park. Our style was to seldom stay more than one night in the same place and get all our sight seeing and such done before we setup camp. Even when we had full hookups we only connected AC to charge batteries and never dropped the jacks, in fact on our last camper I took the jacks off while it was on the truck so it was easy to setup and take down the camp.

We found that you almost forgot it was on the back and I usually loaded in the Spring and unloaded in the Fall unless I needed the truck to haul something. We stuffed so much in the wheel wells, including an ancillary battery that plugged into the side that it was a bit of a task to take off and get everything packed back in when reloading.

Unfortunately a few years ago my wife's knees would not allow getting in the overhead bunk anymore and we switched to a 19' B camper and it serves most of the same needs our truck camper did as far as easy to park and maneuver in tight spots. We purposely got as low as we could and are now 8' 8". Would have liked a popup B but could not find one when we were looking.

notsobigjoe

southeast

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/22 07:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimBollman wrote:

Since you haven't bought a TC yet you may want to consider that part of your reason for looking at truck campers was getting into tighter spots. We had a series of truck camper softer the year and found that popup 8 or 8.5' that did not hang beyond the back of our 8' truck box worked the best for us. It was only 7' tall and about 7' wide. We ran a standard cab to further the mobility and park ability. We could park nearly anywhere a normal truck could park. Our style was to seldom stay more than one night in the same place and get all our sight seeing and such done before we setup camp. Even when we had full hookups we only connected AC to charge batteries and never dropped the jacks, in fact on our last camper I took the jacks off while it was on the truck so it was easy to setup and take down the camp.

We found that you almost forgot it was on the back and I usually loaded in the Spring and unloaded in the Fall unless I needed the truck to haul something. We stuffed so much in the wheel wells, including an ancillary battery that plugged into the side that it was a bit of a task to take off and get everything packed back in when reloading.

Unfortunately a few years ago my wife's knees would not allow getting in the overhead bunk anymore and we switched to a 19' B camper and it serves most of the same needs our truck camper did as far as easy to park and maneuver in tight spots. We purposely got as low as we could and are now 8' 8". Would have liked a popup B but could not find one when we were looking.

We used to do what you describe in our coachman ranger. It was small and easily maneuverable and fit into parking spots very easily even on the crew cab dually. The lance 1181 is very different and is not geared for local shopping and running around. It is huge and very high. Often we hit low branches at Walmart's etc... Plus with the slide out in the way we have to push it out a little bit to use the bathroom. No big deal but in my opinion the 1181 was not designed for daily routine and sight seeing and is why we have so often taken it off although others have no problem I don't care for it. There is a campground down the street from me that has many snow birds in motor homes and on the weekend they bring the motor home to the Winn Dixie to resupply. Just a point. I too am having trouble with getting in and out of my unit as well as the bed. We looked at tow behinds but they are to much money right now.

Hardscrabble

On the road again

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/27/22 06:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It depends on many things, remote/isolated spots, never a need. When we come to a spot where we will be for a while and want to be able to move easily or if there are height restrictions (like where we are now) and we want to be able to access some remote trailheads, we take it off. Ours is pretty easy to take off and put back on, it is just a cost/benefit analysis. To each their own.

Regards...

2019 Northern Lite EXSE, wet bath, 2019 Chevy Silverado 3500HD SRW Duramax w/ Bilstein 4600s, Torklift Stableloads/Fastguns, Timbren Severe Duty Bump Stops, Ranch Hand Grille Guard, WeBoost drive reach rv cell booster.

fishingfanatic

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/22 08:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KD4UPL wrote:

I used to take mine off so I could launch and retrieve the boat without it. It's also nice for hauling the kids and their bikes around the campground or whatever. I could take it off in about 15 or 20 minutes. Putting it back on was maybe 30 minutes. It's no big deal.

Do this all the time. Easy if you practice.

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/22 08:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We take it off about half the time, but only if we will be in a CG for several days. We can explore areas easier without it, and it stays connected in the CG if we have services. Sometimes, it depends on the area as well.

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

stevenal

Newport, OR, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/22 03:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Two campers over 24 years, and we've removed it exactly once; to drive the Monument Valley loop without shaking up the beer. Why unpack the camper to pack for the day trip, when everything we might need is already snug in its place? Food, clothing, water, bed (strictly for napping [emoticon]), first aid kit, dog gear, swim suits, etc..

And when the boat goes along, launching with the camper on gets easy with practice.

'18 Bigfoot 1500
Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

kohldad

Goose Creek, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/22 04:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never have. One of the things we love about truck camping is we always have everything with us all the time. When we go out site seeing for the day we have all of our food, medicine, change of clothes, hiking boots, etc with us. This means we don't have to plan out the day. When we get groceries we don't have to run back to camp to put them up.

Now one thing that does make keeping the camper on the truck easier is we have a small 8' truck camper on a SRW truck. This means we are under our payload and it fits in a standard parking space.

2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/22 05:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kohldad wrote:

Never have. One of the things we love about truck camping is we always have everything with us all the time. When we go out site seeing for the day we have all of our food, medicine, change of clothes, hiking boots, etc with us. This means we don't have to plan out the day. When we get groceries we don't have to run back to camp to put them up.

Now one thing that does make keeping the camper on the truck easier is we have a small 8' truck camper on a SRW truck. This means we are under our payload and it fits in a standard parking space.

Exactly

Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/22 09:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And that's the beauty of TCs. They can be unloaded and used as base camp, or one has the ability to bring the camper with them with less hassle than a trailer.

Not a single RV out there that isn't a compromise or an advantage in some way shape or form, or situation.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/22 10:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's the beauty of a TC.
Leave it on or take it off.
Your choice.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
1976 Ford F-250 6.4L 4wd
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Is it common to remove your truck camper at your camp spot?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.