|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Trailer Legs

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Goostoff

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/22 09:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just dont see how these would help stabilize. You will lose the tire bounce but the springs are still going to move. I have a large dog that can get a trailer bouncing pretty good when he plays so I have an extra set of scissors jacks that put under the center of the trailer on the frame right in front of the front axle that takes a lot of that bounce out.

As far a long term storage goes just keep the tires out of dirt with a 2X12 under them and cover them for sun damage. Radial tires can sit for a long time and any flat spots will work they way out very quick as they warm up.

1993 Chevy C3500
2005 Cedar Creek 34RLTS

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/27/22 12:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jjj wrote:

To raise tires of the ground for long storage times.

Why do you want to do that? Modern tires are fine sitting for long periods.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

CapriRacer

Somewhere in the US

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/22 04:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

jjj wrote:

No, they aren't!

Many tires today have cap plies made of nylon. Nylon is VERY prone to flatspotting - and the longer they sit, the more likely the flatspots may be permanent.

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/22 06:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is simply not true. The opposite actually. Modern tires are manufactured with materials that resist and rebound from flat spotting. I haven't heard about anyone complaining about flat spots in years, let alone on a TT or FW where it would be even more difficult to notice anyway. But define sitting for long periods. Years? Maybe. A few months? No.

* This post was edited 03/27/22 08:53am by an administrator/moderator *

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

Goostoff

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/22 06:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CapriRacer wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

jjj wrote:

No, they aren't!

Many tires today have cap plies made of nylon. Nylon is VERY prone to flatspotting - and the longer they sit, the more likely the flatspots may be permanent.

Everyone has a different idea of what "long term storage" is. Some people think that winter storage is long term. For me long term storage would most likely mean the tires should be replaced from old age before worrying about flat spots. Heck I have drug cars out of garages that sat on flat tires for 2 years. Air them up and roll them. Owner drove with no issues until the cars needed new tires from wear. Some tire brands will hold up better than others to this condition. If they were good years I would just replace them cause they live up to their name quite well. If they were Michelins it wont be an issue. Those things will rot away before you can damage them.

wrvond

West Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/22 07:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jjj wrote:

I just saw these today. They have been out for years and never seen them. I was wondering if anyone has used these and what your thoughts are about them. They say they can be used to store your trailer with the wheels off the ground.I want to use them to lift my fiver. Www.trailerlegs.com

I've never used them, but that doesn't stop me from having opinions about them. [emoticon]

On the face of it, they seem to be a pretty good solution for folks that want to get one or more tires clear of the ground - be it for storage, maintenance or to change a flat.
My real concern would be taking the unit down off the stands. Imagine the stress on the leaf springs of the entire camper bouncing down on all four wheels at the same time.
Considering that we almost universally believe the suspension under our campers is borderline safe, and we do see breakages of hangers, shackles and springs quite often, I am loathe to use anything that I think might add unnecessary stress to that system.

2022 Keystone Cougar 24RDS
2017 F350 Lariat 6.7L DRW

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/22 01:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CapriRacer wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

jjj wrote:

No, they aren't!

Can you please list a couple of these tires you are referring to? Also post a couple that do not apply.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/22 01:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I looked up these "levelers".

Reminds me of the ANDERSEN levelers. I say no bueno to both.

Retired JSO

North Georgia Mountains

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/22 02:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

According to Michelin Man. Most all tires are subject to flat spotting but it is not permanent. As the tires warm up the flat spot will go away, usually in 20 minutes again according to Michelin Man.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/28/22 02:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:"Can you please list a couple of these tires you are referring to? Also post a couple that do not apply."

Not sure of exact tires Capri is referring to?

The newer style ST tires, such as Provider, Endurance, maybe Carlisle HDs, have a nylon wrap around the plies, adding support, and allowing higher speed ratings. Not sure this nylon wrap would cause flat spotting.

My Providers never seemed to flat spot from sitting over Winter. I do add an extra 5 psi in late fall due to air loss from Winter temp extremes. I air to 70 psi, even though tire max is 65. I let back down to 65 when warm temps return.

We do know the nylon tires of yesteryear did flat spot.

Jerry

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Trailer Legs
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.