RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Butt splice connector to join 10 gauge to 12 gauge wire?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Butt splice connector to join 10 gauge to 12 gauge wire?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/22 12:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wade44 wrote:

I never knew connecting two wires together was so complicated.

Stick around a while, you'll be amazed how some in this group can overcomplicate virtually anything, with anecdotal means, overtly literal interpretations, gross misinterpretations (read as lack of reading comprehension) and general "back in the day" retrospection about years gone by!
The entertainment value is definitely worth the price of admission most of the time!
The unfortunate part is alot of good help/information gets lost in the above actions and the end result is completely misleading to a person who is asking a question with a relatively straightforward answer.[emoticon]

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Desert Captain

Payson

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/22 12:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Wade44 wrote:

I never knew connecting two wires together was so complicated.

Stick around a while, you'll be amazed how some in this group can overcomplicate virtually anything, with anecdotal means, overtly literal interpretations, gross misinterpretations (read as lack of reading comprehension) and general "back in the day" retrospection about years gone by!
The entertainment value is definitely worth the price of admission most of the time!
The unfortunate part is alot of good help/information gets lost in the above actions and the end result is completely misleading to a person who is asking a question with a relatively straightforward answer.[emoticon]

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

A. It's not. [emoticon]

B. Great post Grit dog.

[emoticon]

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/22 12:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Agree, but if a person has no special crimping tools, soldering gun or heat gun a simple wire nut will be more than good.

A wire nut can work, but....

You need to be sure that the two wires are well twisted. That can be difficult if one wire is solid and the other multistranded.

You need to be sure the nut is of the appropriate size.

The wires will come out of the nut pointing in the same direction. If you need a 180 degree orientation, leave plenty of slack to avoid pulling on the wires.

For an RV subject to lots of vibration, consider using plenty of electrician's tape to secure the nut.

Maybe I should have added "done properly". YES, I already mentioned the electrical tape.

I worked with GOOD Electricians for 35 years as a Construction Superintendent so I know a bit about proper methods.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/22 12:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Maybe I should have added "done properly". YES, I already mentioned the electrical tape.

I worked with GOOD Electricians for 35 years as a Construction Superintendent so I know a bit about proper methods.

Aaaaand I rest my case....
While the OP wasn't specific about the exact application he was asking about, he was clear enough that he wasn't misrepresenting what he was asking, to be about residential/commercial building wiring. Yet, somehow, someone is still pimpin wire nuts for 12V stranded wire splices that may or may not be "indoors."

We get it. Wire nuts are what's used when you add an outlet in your bathroom...
Wire nuts are NOT the proper application for vehicle/trailer 12V wiring, in general. Yes maybe some select connections that are completely out of the weather they would be appropriate.

But while we're on the subject, what's your fave brand of wire nutz?

Are you more of an Ideal guy or do you go with the Tan Twisters? LOL

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/22 01:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also remember a world...(it still exists, btw), where connecting stuff on your car with wire nutz was laughable.

TechWriter

Part-Timing Again

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/22 02:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

profdant139 wrote:

I need to join 10 gauge to 12 gauge -- and believe it or not, I have never used butt splice connectors.

They're fine, and you have plenty of choices.

Also, look at WAGO 221s.

2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35’ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41’ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31’ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/22 03:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TechWriter wrote:

profdant139 wrote:

I need to join 10 gauge to 12 gauge -- and believe it or not, I have never used butt splice connectors.

Also, look at WAGO 221s.

YES they meet "CODE" but IMHO they are just as bad as stab and jab receptacles. Simply put your touching a small surface to complete the circuit with these. MUCH better off with a wire nut or even a butt splice.

I built over 100 Dental Clinics in my career and I did not allow them on my jobs. Only place I did was connecting low voltage draw lighting.

Mike134

Elgin, IL

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/22 03:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

TechWriter wrote:

profdant139 wrote:

Also, look at WAGO 221s.

YES they meet "CODE" but IMHO they are just as bad as stab and jab receptacles. Simply put your touching a small surface to complete the circuit with these. MUCH better off with a wire nut or even a butt splice.

I built over 100 Dental Clinics in my career and I did not allow them on my jobs. Only place I did was connecting low voltage draw lighting.

X2!! on the WAGOs GARBAGE!!
Grit dog this post just might get to 10 pages before the week is done!! LOL I've already unsubscribed, way too much email notifying me of yet another post. I'll just peek in every so often

2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

LittleBill

Scranton, PA USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/22 04:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mike134 wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

TechWriter wrote:

profdant139 wrote:

Also, look at WAGO 221s.

X2!! on the WAGOs GARBAGE!!
Grit dog this post just might get to 10 pages before the week is done!! LOL I've already unsubscribed, way too much email notifying me of yet another post. I'll just peek in every so often

wago's are rated very highly, rare to hear they are garbage. I use the ideal's and they work fine, and are considered inferior to wago.

Wago's on amazon

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/22 05:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Someone said, "I never knew connecting two wires together was so complicated." That's the problem with being a non-expert (which is what I am for sure). I often don't know what I don't know until I ask. I have learned from past misteaks -- don't assume that something that looks simple is simple.

True story -- we were taking my kids skiing for the first time and told them they would take lessons to start. My 8 year old said, "Lessons? I don't need lessons. I already know how to ski. You just put your poles between your legs and go!"

To put it another way, confidence is that wonderful feeling you have before you really understand what's happening.

So that is why I asked about how to connect two wires on my RV. My gut said "wire nuts" and my head said "maybe not -- better check with the good folks on the forum."

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Butt splice connector to join 10 gauge to 12 gauge wire?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.