RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Butt splice connector to join 10 gauge to 12 gauge wire?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Butt splice connector to join 10 gauge to 12 gauge wire?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
TechWriter

Part-Timing Again

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/22 05:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

YES they meet "CODE" but IMHO they are just as bad as stab and jab receptacles.

Mike134 wrote:

X2!! on the WAGOs GARBAGE!!

Since the two of you are passing yourself off as experts, why do you not like WAGOs? Experience? Personal preference?

2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35’ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41’ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31’ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

TechWriter

Part-Timing Again

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/22 05:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

profdant139 wrote:

Someone said, "I never knew connecting two wires together was so complicated." That's the problem with being a non-expert (which is what I am for sure). I often don't know what I don't know until I ask. I have learned from past misteaks -- don't assume that something that looks simple is simple.

Wait till you ask about 6v vs 12v batteries. Oy vey!

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/22 05:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

profdant139 wrote:

Someone said, "I never knew connecting two wires together was so complicated." That's the problem with being a non-expert (which is what I am for sure). I often don't know what I don't know until I ask. I have learned from past misteaks -- don't assume that something that looks simple is simple.

True story -- we were taking my kids skiing for the first time and told them they would take lessons to start. My 8 year old said, "Lessons? I don't need lessons. I already know how to ski. You just put your poles between your legs and go!"

To put it another way, confidence is that wonderful feeling you have before you really understand what's happening.

So that is why I asked about how to connect two wires on my RV. My gut said "wire nuts" and my head said "maybe not -- better check with the good folks on the forum."

Your “GUT” was correct IMHO.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/22 05:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TechWriter wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Mike134 wrote:

Since the two of you are passing yourself off as experts, why do you not like WAGOs? Experience? Personal preference?

I already said why. Thin pc of metal making the connection. Proper tightening of a wire nut takes more time but much better connection.

Commercial Construction Superintendent 35 years here. The quality minded Electricians would not use them. The guys who just wanted to get it done used the WAGOS because they are easy.

Like I said they meet code. But the fact is CODE is a minimum. I do not like minimum.

Mike134

Elgin, IL

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/22 06:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TechWriter wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Mike134 wrote:

You'll have to determine if 38 years as a licensed electrician makes me an expert.

Wago's rely on spring pressure to hold a strip of metal against the wire just like those CHEAP back stabbed receptacles use. Tiny point of contact unlike wires that are twisted together then covered with a wirenut. I will say WAGOs are handy when doing speaker wires (not life safety speakers such as a fire alarm system) or connecting multiple control wires that do not carry more than 0.25 amp current.

* This post was edited 03/29/22 06:36pm by Mike134 *

2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

Dusty R

Charlotte Michigan 48813

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/22 08:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not all wire nuts are alike, I've seen some that you needed to be very watchful of them when installing them. The best are Schlock by 3M.

dieseltruckdriver

Black Hills of SD

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/22 08:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

profdant139 wrote:

I need to join 10 gauge to 12 gauge -- and believe it or not, I have never used butt splice connectors. I've done my Internet research but have not been able to answer these two questions with any certainty:

First, when the package says "10/12 connectors," are they only for joining 10 to 12? Or are they saying that both ends of the connector will accept either 10 or 12?

Second, there is heat shrink, crimp, solder, etc. Which type will provide the most durable result, and which one is the easiest to use?

I am not a good solder-er, so I am hoping to avoid that method. As you can tell, I am not confident when it comes to electrical work.

Thanks in advance for your collective wisdom!

Prof, I read through all of the pages before I posted, just to make sure that Mex didn't post. He has the most experience of anyone I have seen on these boards on these type of topics and I would trust his over my experience.

GDE's post on the first page with the link to the crimpers is good information for low voltage stranded wire. I actually carry that same crimper in my 5er. Use plain butt connectors and put heat shrink over them. Just put the heat shrink on the wire before crimping. [emoticon]

I am a fan of soldering wires, but they make the wire brittle. That's not something you want when you are going down the road. Soldering as well as wire nuts are just fine on something that never moves or vibrates. That being said, I currently have wire nuts on my 30 amp connection, but that is going to change this spring when I will be installing a surge protector.

2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/22 10:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dieseltruckdriver wrote:

profdant139 wrote:

I need to join 10 gauge to 12 gauge -- and believe it or not, I have never used butt splice connectors. I've done my Internet research but have not been able to answer these two questions with any certainty:

First, when the package says "10/12 connectors," are they only for joining 10 to 12? Or are they saying that both ends of the connector will accept either 10 or 12?

Second, there is heat shrink, crimp, solder, etc. Which type will provide the most durable result, and which one is the easiest to use?

I am not a good solder-er, so I am hoping to avoid that method. As you can tell, I am not confident when it comes to electrical work.

Thanks in advance for your collective wisdom!

Prof, I read through all of the pages before I posted, just to make sure that Mex didn't post. He has the most experience of anyone I have seen on these boards on these type of topics and I would trust his over my experience.

GDE's post on the first page with the link to the crimpers is good information for low voltage stranded wire. I actually carry that same crimper in my 5er. Use plain butt connectors and put heat shrink over them. Just put the heat shrink on the wire before crimping. [emoticon]

I am a fan of soldering wires, but they make the wire brittle. That's not something you want when you are going down the road. Soldering as well as wire nuts are just fine on something that never moves or vibrates. That being said, I currently have wire nuts on my 30 amp connection, but that is going to change this spring when I will be installing a surge protector.

soldering doesn't make wire brittle. However what often can and doe happen is to much solder is used, it wicks up the strands and insulation and makes a stress point where the soldered section is rigid and the rest is flexible. So, under vibration that section between ridgid and flex vibrates and fails. Properly soldered the solder is ONLY at the crimp NONE up the insulation, problem solved. However that is easier said than done.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

vermilye

Oswego, NY, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/30/22 09:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have no problem using WAGO connectors for low voltage wiring, particularly if it is wiring that needs to be disconnected/reconnected a couple of times, but be sure you are using actual WAGO connectors. There are imitation versions that are junk. While they are rated for 120V use, I don't use them for AC wiring.

Jon Vermilye My Travel Blog
My Photo & RV link blog

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/22 09:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Or twist the wires together with lineman's and use a red wire nut.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Butt splice connector to join 10 gauge to 12 gauge wire?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.