RV.Net Open Roads Forum: 2500 Chevy Duramax vs 2500 Ram Cummins on the Ike Gauntlet

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 2500 Chevy Duramax vs 2500 Ram Cummins on the Ike Gauntlet

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/22 12:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bionic Man wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

Huntindog wrote:

TravelinDog wrote:

Almost all of the comments here come down to the same old Chevy vs Ram debate.
There are millions of these trucks out there towing trailers with no problems and nearly identical results so it still comes down to a matter of brand preference.

That being said I see no reason to put a 10 speed trans behind the Cummins engine because it works just fine the way it is.

More gears is in the Rams future. Like it or not.

I STRONGLY suspect that the Ram proponents will then sing its praises . Until then.....Dissing those that have it now, just sounds like a child refusing to admit that a classmate has a better toy.

It's only the stubborn "Ram proponents" who's mantra of "whatever I currently have is the best", while wearing blinders, who can't see the benefits of more forward gears behind the Cummins.

I’d bet anyone $1000 that when (not if) RAM adds gears that the new tranny will be proclaimed by some as the best ever available in a HD.

Heck, I remember individuals signing the praises of the 68RFE (which for the record I don’t think is terrible, but it is far from the best).

Whatever RAM does I am sure the trans will be a dependable unit. I have seen people for SEVERAL years proclaim RAM needs more gears. Not sure why as real world experience says it's not needed. We will see if RAM succumbs to "gotta have the next best thing".

I don't think you will find any trans of the big three more dependable (Fish ZIP it) than the AISIN.

My 68REF with 3.42's was awesome to 65k at trade. I towed at least 1/2 the miles at 29k combined West Coast.

Here is the pan just before trade. Fluid had over 50k.

[image]

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/22 12:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IdaD wrote:

ksss wrote:

I had thought that Ram and GM use the same rear axle.

I thought so too, 11.5" AAM.

They do...or did anyways. I can't speak to the last couple years, but Ram does offer a larger axle in their dooleys and maybe 3500 srws. 11.8 ring gear, maybe a 12" model. And Ram went to a different/larger bolt pattern on the dooleys...
Now there's at least 4 different bolt patterns out there for current model 8 lug light duty trucks.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/22 12:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There's a difference between "needs" and "would be better", both of which are open to interpretation.
12V, can you at least stop beating the Aisin/Cummins/BW/Amzoil drums long enough to consider or even maybe admit that it "would be better?"

Or will that not happen until 2024 or whenever Ram steps up and you trade up and get the complimentary fan boy kit from ZF? [emoticon]

LOL [emoticon]

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/22 03:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Huntindog wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Huntindog wrote:

rhagfo wrote:

cptqueeg wrote:

Payload was much different and somehow it was overlooked in the recap.

They did touch on the difference in payload, that the Ram was a true 3/4 ton the Chevy was a one ton labeled as a 3/4 ton with a GVWR of 11,300# if I heard correctly. The Chevy was also 500# heavier than the Ram.
The 500 LBS is mostly due to it being a higher trim level.... Which will actually work against it in the performance attributes of this test.

What about the higher trim would add 500# ?
I di not say it accounted for all of it. But there are many differences, and they add up.

I will ask again what would add SIGNIFICANT weight because of a higher trim level?
I will not do all of the work to itemize options and weights. It is an established fact that options on a truck or trailer add weight. If you want to know how much, you do the work.
You can start with that transformer tailgate, and go from there.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountryC CD/A 4X4 DRW

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/22 04:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

IdaD wrote:

ksss wrote:

They do...or did anyways. I can't speak to the last couple years, but Ram does offer a larger axle in their dooleys and maybe 3500 srws. 11.8 ring gear, maybe a 12" model. And Ram went to a different/larger bolt pattern on the dooleys...
Now there's at least 4 different bolt patterns out there for current model 8 lug light duty trucks.

I don't follow it real close but I've not heard of a 12". I thought the 11.8" version was just on the HO models.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/22 05:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IdaD wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

IdaD wrote:

ksss wrote:

I don't follow it real close but I've not heard of a 12". I thought the 11.8" version was just on the HO models.

GM dually 2020 and up has a 12" ring gear

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/22 06:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Bionic Man wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

Huntindog wrote:

TravelinDog wrote:

There are millions of these trucks out there towing trailers with no problems and nearly identical results so it still comes down to a matter of brand preference.

That being said I see no reason to put a 10 speed trans behind the Cummins engine because it works just fine the way it is.

I STRONGLY suspect that the Ram proponents will then sing its praises . Until then.....Dissing those that have it now, just sounds like a child refusing to admit that a classmate has a better toy.

It's only the stubborn "Ram proponents" who's mantra of "whatever I currently have is the best", while wearing blinders, who can't see the benefits of more forward gears behind the Cummins.

I’d bet anyone $1000 that when (not if) RAM adds gears that the new tranny will be proclaimed by some as the best ever available in a HD.

Heck, I remember individuals signing the praises of the 68RFE (which for the record I don’t think is terrible, but it is far from the best).

Whatever RAM does I am sure the trans will be a dependable unit. I have seen people for SEVERAL years proclaim RAM needs more gears. Not sure why as real world experience says it's not needed. We will see if RAM succumbs to "gotta have the next best thing".

I don't think you will find any trans of the big three more dependable (Fish ZIP it) than the AISIN.

My 68REF with 3.42's was awesome to 65k at trade. I towed at least 1/2 the miles at 29k combined West Coast.

[image]

Why the aftermarket oil pan? I didn't see one on your aisin and the aftermarket sells them.

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"250k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

larry barnhart

wenatchee. wa usa

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/22 07:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess nobody has seen the latest drag race of the 3 brands. Just saw it today April 2nd. chevman

chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/22 03:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Bionic Man wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

Huntindog wrote:

TravelinDog wrote:

[image]

Why the aftermarket oil pan? I didn't see one on your aisin and the aftermarket sells them.

Waste of money.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/22 03:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

larry barnhart wrote:

I guess nobody has seen the latest drag race of the 3 brands. Just saw it today April 2nd. chevman

Post a link.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 2500 Chevy Duramax vs 2500 Ram Cummins on the Ike Gauntlet
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.