RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: No gas to cook top

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > No gas to cook top

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
JBarca

Radnor, Ohio, USA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/16/2004

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 04/10/22 06:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

StirCrazy wrote:



your instincts are corect in that atmospheric pressure plays a part but non of your calculations will work if you us 0 as a atmospheric pressure. it is 14.7psia or 101kPa at sea level and at 4500 feet it is aproximatly 12.5psia or 85.7kPa and 10 to 11" of watter colume is 0.36 to 0.4psi so realy at 4500 feet there should still be plenty of differential for it to work, maybe a slight yellowing at the tips of the flames. the problem with atmospheric relief regulators is they do use atmospheric pressure to act on the diaphram, the intent is to prevent an air lock from forming above it and preventing it from closing and it has a neglagable effect, but it is also much cheeper than using a pressure ballanced regulator set up.

myself I would remove the regulator , make a fitting to bridge the gap and try the stove, if it works put a new regulator in. mind you this might be more than you want to do while camping. the other option is to change it out and see how it works next time your camping.

this thread has me wondering if mine is starting to get week, I changed out my main regulator and everything got better but I do have a flame that is a little two yellow but I am under 1000 feet and even when I am at 4500-5000 feet it doesnt change realy, hmm something else to updte now I guess... thanks [emoticon]


Thank you. You are correct, I forgot the 14.7 psi at sea level. Thanks to reminding me what I forgot....


John & Cindy

2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10
CC, SB, Lariat & FX4 package
21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR
Ford Tow Command
1,700# Reese HP hitch & HP Dual Cam
2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver

2004 Sunline Solaris T310SR
(I wish we were camping!)


StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 07/16/2003

View Profile



Posted: 04/11/22 08:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JBarca wrote:

StirCrazy wrote:



your instincts are corect in that atmospheric pressure plays a part but non of your calculations will work if you us 0 as a atmospheric pressure. it is 14.7psia or 101kPa at sea level and at 4500 feet it is aproximatly 12.5psia or 85.7kPa and 10 to 11" of watter colume is 0.36 to 0.4psi so realy at 4500 feet there should still be plenty of differential for it to work, maybe a slight yellowing at the tips of the flames. the problem with atmospheric relief regulators is they do use atmospheric pressure to act on the diaphram, the intent is to prevent an air lock from forming above it and preventing it from closing and it has a neglagable effect, but it is also much cheeper than using a pressure ballanced regulator set up.

myself I would remove the regulator , make a fitting to bridge the gap and try the stove, if it works put a new regulator in. mind you this might be more than you want to do while camping. the other option is to change it out and see how it works next time your camping.

this thread has me wondering if mine is starting to get week, I changed out my main regulator and everything got better but I do have a flame that is a little two yellow but I am under 1000 feet and even when I am at 4500-5000 feet it doesnt change realy, hmm something else to updte now I guess... thanks [emoticon]


Thank you. You are correct, I forgot the 14.7 psi at sea level. Thanks to reminding me what I forgot....


no worries, I have been working with PSIa for 35 years now and I still have a momentary laps when I look at mormal pressur guages and try to plug the 0 into an equasion [emoticon]


2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

enahs

Washington

Senior Member

Joined: 03/11/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/14/22 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sooo, got the new part and pulled the cooktop. The new part was ordered because Dometic told me that the old part was defective and had been replaced by a new item. They sent a schematic of the original part and it is clearly different than the new part. Too, they indicated that the new part would be covered by warranty. Turns out that the new part and the part in the cooktop are the same. And the only way Dometic will apply a warranty is to have an official Dometic center declare the old part defective — which, under the best of circumstances, is only possible at high elevation. As for Escape, the trailer manufacturer, appliances are warrantied by their manufacturers! They were of no help on an RV that is billed as high quality and only several months old. Why am I not surprised!


'07 Chevy 3500 Dooley, CC, LT3, D/A

JBarca

Radnor, Ohio, USA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/16/2004

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 04/14/22 12:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

StirCrazy wrote:

JBarca wrote:

StirCrazy wrote:



your instincts are corect in that atmospheric pressure plays a part but non of your calculations will work if you us 0 as a atmospheric pressure. it is 14.7psia or 101kPa at sea level and at 4500 feet it is aproximatly 12.5psia or 85.7kPa and 10 to 11" of watter colume is 0.36 to 0.4psi so realy at 4500 feet there should still be plenty of differential for it to work, maybe a slight yellowing at the tips of the flames. the problem with atmospheric relief regulators is they do use atmospheric pressure to act on the diaphram, the intent is to prevent an air lock from forming above it and preventing it from closing and it has a neglagable effect, but it is also much cheeper than using a pressure ballanced regulator set up.

myself I would remove the regulator , make a fitting to bridge the gap and try the stove, if it works put a new regulator in. mind you this might be more than you want to do while camping. the other option is to change it out and see how it works next time your camping.

this thread has me wondering if mine is starting to get week, I changed out my main regulator and everything got better but I do have a flame that is a little two yellow but I am under 1000 feet and even when I am at 4500-5000 feet it doesnt change realy, hmm something else to updte now I guess... thanks [emoticon]


Thank you. You are correct, I forgot the 14.7 psi at sea level. Thanks to reminding me what I forgot....


no worries, I have been working with PSIa for 35 years now and I still have a momentary laps when I look at mormal pressur guages and try to plug the 0 into an equasion [emoticon]


We have a common thing going on, we are only 14.7 psi apart...LOL I have been working with PSIg for 40 years and forgot about normal atmospheric pressure at sea level[emoticon]

What's a few psi amongst camper buds...other then the wrong answer [emoticon]

JBarca

Radnor, Ohio, USA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/16/2004

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 04/14/22 12:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

enahs wrote:

Sooo, got the new part and pulled the cooktop. The new part was ordered because Dometic told me that the old part was defective and had been replaced by a new item. They sent a schematic of the original part and it is clearly different than the new part. Too, they indicated that the new part would be covered by warranty. Turns out that the new part and the part in the cooktop are the same. And the only way Dometic will apply a warranty is to have an official Dometic center declare the old part defective — which, under the best of circumstances, is only possible at high elevation. As for Escape, the trailer manufacturer, appliances are warrantied by their manufacturers! They were of no help on an RV that is billed as high quality and only several months old. Why am I not surprised!


Oh great. It appears there might be 3 - 4 options to resolving this. Or at least the 4 that come to mind.

1. Find someone near you with a lab and a vacuum chamber to put the whole stove in and create 4,500 ft elevation's conditions. Most likely not an option...

2. Go on a camping trip with the camper the way it is now to a place out west at 4,500 ft elevation and re-create the problem. Then find a Dometic authorized repair shop out there, have them install the new one and declare the old one bad and maybe the new one too. Then sort out what ever that outcome is. This option is complex and may not happen.

3. Install the new parts, hope for the best and you end up eating the cost of the parts. This may or may not work.

4. You are not really in a good spot unless you can find a Dometic repair shop that has dealt with these before and can comment on if they have found this same issue and what they did to resolve it. A bunch of calling to shops in the area your relative was camping at, may turn up something. This option might help give you the best hope for a resolution.

From what I have experienced, anyone other then a Dometic authorized shop trying to get any traction on warranty resolution just does not happen. They will not even talk technical with you or accept new still in the package parts to test themselves.

Hope this turns your positive for you, somehow. Let us know how this comes out.

* This post was edited 04/14/22 03:56pm by JBarca *

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Online
Posted: 04/14/22 03:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How much did this part set you back? Helps decide how to handle it going forward.
Did it work?

(Reason #77 I don't buy new with warranty...costs more upfront and on the back end, not to mention the hassle when you get to deal with crooks)


2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

enahs

Washington

Senior Member

Joined: 03/11/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/15/22 09:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am just going to eat the cost. The sad thing about Dometic is the fact that CS folks there don't know what they are taking about and merely repeat the pap they have learned in CS instruction meetings. Worse than worthless — I am experienced enough to have known the signs but ignored them! Presently, I am in the process of installing it in the hope that something has been changed. Never did hear back from the manufacturer. Then I plan to inspect the regulator on the old one to see if it can be made adjustable. Eventually, the entire system will have to be evaluated. I am going to purchase a gauge to check WC and pressure. Any recommendations?

RLS7201

Beautyful Downtown Gladstone, MO

Senior Member

Joined: 10/26/2002

View Profile


Online
Posted: 04/15/22 10:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

enahs wrote:

I am going to purchase a gauge to check WC and pressure. Any recommendations?


Depending on what you have laying around the house, this might work for you.

Richard


95 Bounder 32H F53
460/528 stroker
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson


enahs

Washington

Senior Member

Joined: 03/11/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/15/22 11:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I might build that. Depends on what I can find in a reasonably priced instrument.

JBarca

Radnor, Ohio, USA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/16/2004

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 04/15/22 02:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is the Dwyer gauge I use. I also built a water manometer. The accuracy of the home made manometer is hard to beat, it just takes some time to get it setup, where the gauge is quick. I check the gauge against the manometer.

https://www.amazon.com/Dwyer-Pressure-Test-LPTK-02-0-18-5/dp/B00F34RHUO

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > No gas to cook top
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.