|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Protection/Maintenance Packages

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
marpel

notapplicable

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/22 07:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have read various comments over the years both extolling the virtues, as well as denigrating the value, of extended warranty/maintenance/protection plans sold by the dealer on new vehicles.

Upon recent arrival of a new truck (Sierra 2500HD), I opted to accept a Protection Package (paint and undercarriage) offered by the dealer. Although it was folded into the payment plan, the cost was cited at $2600 CAD.

Upon receipt of the truck, as I always do, I read through the manuals (main and a smaller warranty related publication) that evening.

I happened to come across a two paragraph statement by GM (deep in the manual, on page 13), in which they advise the factory protective coating is sufficient, do not recommend an after manufacture application (not after market, but anything after factory) and also state that any after manufacture product may cause corrosion issues. To me, it was quite explicit.

I returned to the dealer, with these paragraphs in hand and questioned the reason why they would sell a product, contrary to the advice of GM. I spoke with three different employees, including a manager, and each expressed surprise with the statement and all advised they were unaware of this. Each, in turn attempted to discount the intent of the wording. The conversation ended with the manager promising to speak with a GM regional rep for clarification. The implementation of the package was put on hold.

Returned a few days later, where the rep's response (in writing) was shown to me, where he re-affirmed the contents of the manual, advising GM does not recommend the product and warn it could cause potential corrosion issues. I cancelled the package.

There is an epilogue to this story, but would make for a very long(er) post.

If they were, in fact, unaware of this clause in the manual, I wonder if they will discontinue the sale of these after manufacture products? Or will they continue to knowingly market a product which is potentially detrimental to the customer? I ask these questions somewhat facetiously.

So, a word of caution to those who may consider one of these packages.

Marv

rjstractor

Maple Valley, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/22 07:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hopefully you get your money back. Those protection plans exist for one reason only- to make extra profit for the dealership selling products that are worthless, unnecessary, and potentially harmful.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/22 11:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well at least you ultimately didn’t fall for the sucker deal.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Geo*Boy

Unknown

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/22 07:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would request/demand my money be returned for this package and would put them on notice that they will be held legally responsible for voiding the manufacture warranty.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/22 08:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Geo*Boy wrote:

I would request/demand my money be returned for this package and would put them on notice that they will be held legally responsible for voiding the manufacture warranty.

Lol, has reality left the room in this thread?

"If they were, in fact, unaware of this clause in the manual, I wonder if they will discontinue the sale of these after manufacture products? Or will they continue to knowingly market a product which is potentially detrimental to the customer? I ask these questions somewhat facetiously."

I would hope it's 100% facetiously...they don't care about the clause, or your truck. (Not that the "protection package" is going to hurt anything but your wallet when you purchase it.)

Lwiddis

Southern California :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/04/22 09:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not a dealer I'd ever visit again. Does your state specially license auto dealers? If so, they might be very interested in your issue. The dealer is responsible for knowing GM's rules.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

whjco

Lexington, KY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/22 07:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I paid about $2500 for an extended factory warranty on my 2015 Ram. It was a total waste of money as the warranty aged out and the only warranty repair was one axle seal. The truck now has 120k on the odometer and has been the most reliable truck I've ever owned.

Bill J., Lexington, KY
2006 Starcraft 2500RKS 25' Travel Trailer
2015 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7 Cummins.

wanderingbob

monticeeo, fla

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/22 06:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

whjco , it was not a total waste of money , the guy that sold it to ya made several boat payments with his commission !

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/22 08:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

marpel wrote:

Upon recent arrival of a new truck (Sierra 2500HD), I opted to accept a Protection Package (paint and undercarriage) offered by the dealer.

So, the question I have is: What product did they apply to the undercarriage of the vehicle?

We all know that the sole purpose of those Protection Packages is to pad the dealer's profit margins. From a customer's perspective, they are a huge waste pf money in most cases.

I've NEVER heard of anyone witnessing these supposed "paint protection coatings" being applied, so I often wonder if the whole thing is a big scam.

* This post was edited 04/09/22 09:24am by deltabravo *

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/22 06:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fluid Film is a decent protective coating for the non full size GM trucks, which don't have the wax coating on the frame.

No problem using it in the underside of the body on any vehicle.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Protection/Maintenance Packages
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.