RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Selling RV, urgent help needed on proper process California

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Selling RV, urgent help needed on proper process California

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
RetiredRealtorRick

St. Augustine Beach, FL

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/22 06:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jeff92804 wrote:

RetiredRealtorRick wrote:

Why not just call the DMV? I would think that they, more than anybody, would have all the information you need, am I not correct?

Just for fun, try calling DMV see what you get

Maybe we're just spoiled here.

I can call the DMV and talk to a real live human within a minute or two, and never have I visited the DMV in person and had it take longer than 20 minutes from walking in the door to walking out.

I love efficiency. I guess St. Johns County Florida is the exception to the rule.

. . . never confuse education with intelligence

joshuajim

Mojave Desert

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/22 08:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This will help you.

Bill of Sale CA

RVing since 1995.

fyrflie

Martinez, CA. USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/22 10:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

fyrflie wrote:

A side note for any vehicle transfer in California.
The license plates on your registered vehicle are yours. Take them off of the vehicle and physically surrender them to the DMV. This forces the new owner to register the vehicle in their own name and in a timely matter. Simply submitting the title transfer online does not fully remove you from liability of the vehicle.
If you don’t take this step, the new owners can then operate the vehicle under your plates that are attached to your name. Toll evasion is the one issue that comes to mind but a crime committed can also wreak havoc for you.

This information was told to me by an employee at the DMV.

From the DMV website
Does the NRL (notice of transfer and release of liability) remove my name from the vehicle record?
No. Only the buyer’s application for transfer, using the endorsed title received from you, can remove your name from the vehicle record.

Per dmv.ca.gov:

Generally, license plates remain with the vehicle they were issued to. Certain types of plates (personalized environmental, special recognition, or special interest) can be reassigned to another vehicle upon request by the owner and payment of appropriate fees.

Sure, you can remove the plates, but the buyer may not be appreciative as they will not be able to legally drive the vehicle home without those plates. If you are that concerned, then go in to the dmv with the seller and do the transfer.

I was simply forwarding the information that was told to me by an actual DMV Employee when I last did a vehicle sale.
Sorry for trying to be helpful.

bikendan

Goodyear, Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/22 10:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RetiredRealtorRick wrote:

Why not just call the DMV? I would think that they, more than anybody, would have all the information you need, am I not correct?

You obviously have never tried calling California DMV.[emoticon]
It was horrible before the pandemic, I'm sure it's worse now.

Dan- Firefighter, Retired">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

jeff92804

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/22 10:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All done...very hassle free. Thanks for advice. I went ahead and got the smog regardless knowing I would need it for myself if sale fell through. I went to DMV witht he buyers so everythign closed out fast. For payment, they met me at the bank with a big wad of hundreds. I told the teller to deposit into my savings and scanned my card, then teller went to counting machine with the buyers. I never once put my hands on the cash so if there were any counterfits, it was clearly them and not me. Still no problems. Very smooth transaction. Unfortunately they do not have much knowledge of RV's, or mechanical stuff for that matter. French tourists and did not know what a tire pressure guage was. I know my coach is in tip top shape and gave them lots of advice but boy are they green! Should be a fun summer for them if they follow my tips...one being to sign up to this forum for future advice. Thanks again for all your help over the years. I will be back in 2-3 years when we get another RV. For now I will be catching up on air travel. Good night

ol Bombero-JC

USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/22 09:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congrats on completing the sale....hassle free!..[emoticon]

Especially the CA DMV part!...[emoticon]

Hope the learning curve goes well for the French Tourists!..[emoticon]

~

bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/14/22 04:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How to make rocket science out of a bean.

2005 Cummins 3500 2WD LB quad cab dually pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Selling RV, urgent help needed on proper process California
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.