RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Not the cells that fail it is the battery Management System!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Not the cells that fail it is the battery Management System!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
TechWriter

Part-Timing Again

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/22 06:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

TecWriter said:"Get on youtube and you will see the extra ordinary measures needed to destroy an LFP cell."

I see many things on You Tube that are ...... Well...... Entainertaining yes. Factual no.

Um, that was time2roll, w8forit, not me.

The YouTube link I gave was to someone who seems to know what he’s talking about. That’s why I’m pretty sure you didn’t check it out.

2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35’ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41’ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31’ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

TechWriter

Part-Timing Again

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/22 07:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

S Davis wrote:

I have four lightly used Trojan T-105s I can’t find a home for.

Now you tell me.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/22 09:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

S Davis wrote:

The thing I like is they will take every amp I throw at them until fully charged unlike other chemistries that charge slower at the top

Except that 100% state of charge is NOT a goal for li.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Itinerant1

Itinerant

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/22 10:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

S Davis wrote:

The thing I like is they will take every amp I throw at them until fully charged unlike other chemistries that charge slower at the top

What charge voltage do you recommend? What are you calling 100% charge...voltage? Is that 100% and using it? 100% then resting it? Oh so many more questions I could think of as a daily user and charging to 14.1v almost everyday when the sun permits it, am I killing the batteries or shortening their life? Should we be using batteries for longevity or daily loads?

12v 500ah, 20 cells_ 4s5p (GBS LFMP battery system). 8 CTI 160 watt panels (1,280 watts)2s4p,Panels mounted flat. Magnum PT100 SCC, Magnum 3012 hybrid inverter, ME-ARC 50. Installed 4/2016 been on 24/7/365, daily 35-45% DOD 2,100+ partial cycles.

S Davis

Western WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/22 12:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

S Davis wrote:

I didn’t say 100% state of charge, i said fully charged. Maybe I consider mine fully charged at 90%.

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/22 09:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

S Davis wrote:

As I previously stated, ‘Discernment Required’ - gotta separate the chafe from the wheat…

3 tons

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/22 12:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

S Davis wrote:

pianotuna wrote:

S Davis wrote:

I didn’t say 100% state of charge, i said fully charged. Maybe I consider mine fully charged at 90%.

You may wish to consider 85% instead of 90% if you want maximum cycles.

It doesn't matter to me as Li are not in my temperature zone.

S Davis

Western WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/22 01:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

S Davis wrote:

pianotuna wrote:

S Davis wrote:

The manufacturer specs are 10% to 90% SOC for 3500 cycles, that is in a compression fixture.

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/22 01:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

S Davis wrote:

pianotuna wrote:

S Davis wrote:

Well, here’s where actual user application and seasoned experience kinda, sorta matters - For instance, IF 85% is better than 90, then should we also assume that 80% is better than 85, and so on …(ad nauseam…)…One would like to think that this point is rather self evident, but from my perspective, what’s being ‘implied’ per caveat (while avoiding the explicit) is that a LFP ought not be fully charged (do so at your own RISK!!), and this is in fact patently False…But haven’t we seen this tactic elsewhere before?? (I’m starting to wonder, was this the design behind this thread??) - sadly, seasoned LFP posters have witnessed this pattern here before!)…And this is precisely how mythologies get launched (and re-launched!), to grow ‘plausable’ legs…

So say of the 3,000 to 5,000 cycles LFP’s are ostensibly capable of delivering (say with competent charging), does anyone worry about how many cycles will be lost by charging to a what I’d call a mere 90% versus 85?….Really??

This is where a few ‘determined’ FLA folks, unable to wrap their minds around LFP, inoculate themselves from empirical reality…

3 tons

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/22 08:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi 3tons,

I do have an li battery device. They happen to recommend 85% maximum charge to extend the life of the battery.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Not the cells that fail it is the battery Management System!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.