RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: 2021 F150 trailer disconnect alarm issues

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > 2021 F150 trailer disconnect alarm issues

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

Senior Member

Joined: 09/26/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/24/22 03:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2021 F150 XLT 302a with IBC and Pro Trailer Assist. I had it in neighbors car port and walked over and disconnected the trailer and got the alarm just last week. I carry my fob in a belt pouch that I made. If I stick my hand in the door and unlock it, or disconnect the trailer with the motor running(I do that a lot) no alarm. I like the future as I tow my Can Am Spyder three wheel motorcycle back and forth between Arizona and Washington spring and fall.


2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021


mkirsch

Rochester, NY

Senior Member

Joined: 04/09/2004

View Profile



Posted: 04/26/22 07:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tvov wrote:

Seems I've found at least a temporary solution.

I work outside, landscaping, so I don't carry a phone or keys with me while working - don't want to lose them.

I leave the keys in the truck, usually under the seat or in the center console, and lock the cab when working. I use the keypad on the door to unlock the truck.

Last week I tried carrying the key fob with me when I walked away from the truck... and no alarm! So, at least in the last week, the trailer alarm doesn't come on if you remove the key fob from the truck. Weird.

Now I am going to see if the dealership can just shut off all the alarms related to trailers.


Not weird. Virtually nobody leaves the keys in their vehicle anymore. That's just asking for it to be stolen, even with the doors locked. First thing car thieves look for after they break in is a set of keys in a common location like under the seat or in the center console.

Yours is an unusual, rare situation. Your work situation is presumably fairly secure and allows you to leave the keys in the truck, even locked. Ford just didn't anticipate that in their logic. They assume you left the keys in the truck by mistake and set the alarm off to let you know.


Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Tvov

CT

Senior Member

Joined: 07/19/2003

View Profile



Posted: 04/26/22 08:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seems that Ford knows about it and is trying to do something. This is part of a post on another F150 forum. There is a lot of discussing (and cussing) about this alarm issue in many forums:

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/........edly-f-150-produced-1-7-21-8-18-21.5905/


" Anybody have any updates on this? I just took my 7/21 KC built truck on a week long trip towing a 5x8 U Haul trailer. The only way I could avoid a false trailer alarm was to disconnect the 4 wire connector each time we locked up for the night. I don't pull a trailer very often but if there's now a fix, I'll have the dealer take care of it next time it's in the shop. --

No update yet as far as i know. Dealer is supposed to let me know when the fix is finally available. Arrival keeps getting pushed back...."


_________________________________________________________
2021 F150 2.7
2004 21' Forest River Surveyor


Tvov

CT

Senior Member

Joined: 07/19/2003

View Profile



Posted: 04/26/22 08:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

Tvov wrote:

Seems I've found at least a temporary solution.

I work outside, landscaping, so I don't carry a phone or keys with me while working - don't want to lose them.

I leave the keys in the truck, usually under the seat or in the center console, and lock the cab when working. I use the keypad on the door to unlock the truck.

Last week I tried carrying the key fob with me when I walked away from the truck... and no alarm! So, at least in the last week, the trailer alarm doesn't come on if you remove the key fob from the truck. Weird.

Now I am going to see if the dealership can just shut off all the alarms related to trailers.


Not weird. Virtually nobody leaves the keys in their vehicle anymore. That's just asking for it to be stolen, even with the doors locked. First thing car thieves look for after they break in is a set of keys in a common location like under the seat or in the center console.

Yours is an unusual, rare situation. Your work situation is presumably fairly secure and allows you to leave the keys in the truck, even locked. Ford just didn't anticipate that in their logic. They assume you left the keys in the truck by mistake and set the alarm off to let you know.


I guess me leaving my keys in the truck is rare, but this alarm system seems to be far from rare and it seems to be random how it gets set off.

What I want is a simple way to shut the trailer alarms off.

(or, they fix it so it doesn't activate randomly!)

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

Senior Member

Joined: 04/09/2004

View Profile



Posted: 04/26/22 11:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah but if taking the key fob with you keeps the alarm from going off, it's not random.

Krusty

Calgary, Alberta,Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 04/26/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/26/22 12:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is a bulletin on this. There is a software update to resolve the false alarm activation


Krusty
92 F-250 4x4 460 5spd 4.10LS Prodigy
97 Rustler RT190
EU2000i
Garmin

Tvov

CT

Senior Member

Joined: 07/19/2003

View Profile



Posted: 04/27/22 04:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

Yeah but if taking the key fob with you keeps the alarm from going off, it's not random.


That is a "work around" that I found for me, at least last week. I'll see what happens this week. I am posting what I found in other forums to try to help others having this issue.

I would prefer not to have to find work arounds on my own, I'd rather the option to simply shut it off.

Tvov

CT

Senior Member

Joined: 07/19/2003

View Profile



Posted: 04/27/22 04:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Krusty wrote:

There is a bulletin on this. There is a software update to resolve the false alarm activation


Someone earlier posted about that, but the link didn't work and I haven't heard from him.

Do you have any information about it? Links?

The only other thing I could find was that Ford knows about it, sent a bulletin to dealers about it, and are still working on the problem.

Krusty

Calgary, Alberta,Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 04/26/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/27/22 12:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TSB number is 22-2122. Vehicles built before Feb 22/22. False alarm due do various software parameters in Trailer Module. Update is for Trailer Module, Driver Door Module and Passenger Door Module.

Tvov

CT

Senior Member

Joined: 07/19/2003

View Profile



Posted: 04/28/22 04:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Krusty wrote:

TSB number is 22-2122. Vehicles built before Feb 22/22. False alarm due do various software parameters in Trailer Module. Update is for Trailer Module, Driver Door Module and Passenger Door Module.


Thank you! It is dated April 4, 2022, so it is pretty recent. I will contact my dealer.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > 2021 F150 trailer disconnect alarm issues
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.