RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Finding a 3500 series truck to test drive....

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Finding a 3500 series truck to test drive....

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/08/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 04/08/22 12:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is my dilema. I currently have a 2008 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel. I'm looking to get a new truck and I like the SRW GMC 3500's. My only issue is...nobody has any on the lot to test drive. And any that are in transit are already sold so no test driving when they get one in. How can we be expected to pay $75,000 for a vehicle we can not even take a test drive in?

So does anybody here have any experience going from an older Dodge to a newer GM? Is the ride better?
I'm sure it will be a better experience than praying the Dodge doesn't go into another death wobble when I hit the next pothole.


2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Cummins12V98

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 06/03/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/08/22 02:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Death wobble can be fixed. GM's independent front should not get the wobble.

Call around to other dealers there will be something available to test.


2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

IdaD

Idaho

Senior Member

Joined: 08/06/2014

View Profile



Posted: 04/08/22 02:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The newer Rams basically copied the Super Duty's front suspension setup and it's far better than the older Dodge front ends. I haven't experienced any suspension issues or death wobble with my truck in the 7 years I've owned it. It is possible that you'll experience it I suppose since it is a SFA, but it isn't likely imo.

The new Duramax trucks look like great trucks but I understand not wanting to buy before you can check one out in person.


2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB


wanderingaimlessly

Buggs Island lake

Senior Member

Joined: 08/23/2017

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/08/22 02:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe stay with the Ram.
Kernersville ram

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

Senior Member

Joined: 03/22/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/08/22 02:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

schlep1967 wrote:

Here is my dilema. I currently have a 2008 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel. I'm looking to get a new truck and I like the SRW GMC 3500's. My only issue is...nobody has any on the lot to test drive. And any that are in transit are already sold so no test driving when they get one in. How can we be expected to pay $75,000 for a vehicle we can not even take a test drive in?

So does anybody here have any experience going from an older Dodge to a newer GM? Is the ride better?
I'm sure it will be a better experience than praying the Dodge doesn't go into another death wobble when I hit the next pothole.


Try this -GMC Finder


Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet


Wade44

Ohio Farm Country

Full Member

Joined: 03/29/2022

View Profile



Posted: 04/08/22 03:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ford truck guy wrote:

schlep1967 wrote:

Here is my dilema. I currently have a 2008 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel. I'm looking to get a new truck and I like the SRW GMC 3500's. My only issue is...nobody has any on the lot to test drive. And any that are in transit are already sold so no test driving when they get one in. How can we be expected to pay $75,000 for a vehicle we can not even take a test drive in?

So does anybody here have any experience going from an older Dodge to a newer GM? Is the ride better?
I'm sure it will be a better experience than praying the Dodge doesn't go into another death wobble when I hit the next pothole.


Try this -GMC Finder


Good luck with that. Using that within a 2000 mile radius of here in OH 97% of what it finds are "In Transit" or regular cab bottom of the line Sierra trim level, essentially work trucks with the plastic interiors and seats.

Around here all HD trucks are spoken for before they ever hit the transporter, and usually paid for at a good amount above MSRP. I guess the OP could always hang out at the dealer and when someone who special ordered or purchased an allocated truck is there taking delivery, ask if they would let him take it for a spin LOL.


2018 Marathon H3-45
2019 GMC Sierra Denali (Toad)
2012 Grady White 271 Canyon

Fisherman

Angus, Ontario, Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 09/28/2002

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/08/22 03:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seriously, I would make the effort and have the death wobble fixed. On my old 2004, it was ball joints, replaced them, no more wobble. As for reliability, I would take any 5.9 Cummins before any GM or Ford. Ford feels like driving a brick, GM's seats are like milk crates.

IdaD

Idaho

Senior Member

Joined: 08/06/2014

View Profile



Posted: 04/08/22 04:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fisherman wrote:

Seriously, I would make the effort and have the death wobble fixed. On my old 2004, it was ball joints, replaced them, no more wobble. As for reliability, I would take any 5.9 Cummins before any GM or Ford. Ford feels like driving a brick, GM's seats are like milk crates.


I haven't driven a GM but I've driven two recent model year Super Duty diesels, an F-250 and an F-350 and honestly I didn't like the way either one drove very well. They felt very isolated from the road, the steering had no feel to it and the turning radius sucked. They're nice trucks and are certainly faster than my Cummins, and they shifted better. Roomier back seat too which matters to me with 3 kids. I'd definitely buy a new Ram CTD over the Super Duty again if I had a do-over, though. GM, I don't know - the current models look pretty nice on paper.

IdaD

Idaho

Senior Member

Joined: 08/06/2014

View Profile



Posted: 04/08/22 04:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IdaD wrote:

Fisherman wrote:

Seriously, I would make the effort and have the death wobble fixed. On my old 2004, it was ball joints, replaced them, no more wobble. As for reliability, I would take any 5.9 Cummins before any GM or Ford. Ford feels like driving a brick, GM's seats are like milk crates.


I haven't driven a GM but I've driven two recent model year Super Duty diesels, an F-250 and an F-350 and honestly I didn't like the way either one drove very well. They felt very isolated from the road, the steering had no feel to it and the turning radius sucked. They're nice trucks and are certainly faster than my Cummins, and they shifted better. Roomier back seat too which matters to me with 3 kids. I'd definitely buy a new Ram CTD over the Super Duty again if I had a do-over, though - even not considering that CP4 issue. GM, I don't know - the current models look pretty nice on paper.


Retired JSO

North Georgia Mountains

Senior Member

Joined: 01/28/2009

View Profile



Posted: 04/08/22 04:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I own a F-350/4wd drw 2018. It has 30,000 miles on it give or take almost all towing and have never had a front end wobble.





Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Finding a 3500 series truck to test drive....
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.