RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Replacement for Jensen Entertainment Center

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Replacement for Jensen Entertainment Center

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
BruceMc

Oregon - Willamette Valley

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/11/22 10:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you've replaced your CD/DVD/Radio double-din entertainment center setup, what did you replace it with, and would you have gone with something else?

I have 3 requirements:
HDMI(ARC)
DVD player
A remote that is more than those thin bubble button thingies...

I have a Jensen JWM6A that skips when playing MP3 disks, and the video output, while set to 1080p, look like a blurry 480 signal. This is the last Jensen product that still marginally functions in our Sunseeker, and I'd like to be completely Jensen free.

This is what I've found, and I'm not terribly pleased with any of them:

1) Pyle... Need I say more?
2) Jensen... Not much of a step up from Pyle
3) iRV
4) Magnadyne
5) Others?

I see mixed reviews on all of them.

I know this has been discussed in previous threads, but many are several years old, and the units being discussed are long out of production. I'm seeking information for the 2020's!

Thanks in advance!

(Note, I've posted this on Forest River Forums as well; if you browse that forum and think you are seeing double...)

'16 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLEC Chevrolet 6.0L
Previously:
'00 Four Winds 26Q Class C (Ford E350 V10)
'96 Kit Sportsmaster 212f Fifth Wheel/'93 GMC Sierra K2500
'91 SunLite poptop truck camper
and the first: a Wildernest flip-top canopy.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/22 10:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have found that when I have pretty specific requirements for audio/video equipment, Crutchfield always has an answer. Their customer support is really knowledgeable and steers you to exactly what you need.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/22 10:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Skip the RV specific junk and just pick out whatever car stereo fits you needs.
Been a while since I was in the car stereo stuff, but Sony head unit we put in our boy's car a couple years ago is great and I replaced the cheapo "RV" stereo in our new camper with a Kenwood.
Can find anything anywhere on the net, but 30+ years later, I still like Crutchfield for price, service, good install kits (not a concern with a camper).

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Skibane

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/22 12:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why not just make a mounting plate to fit an ordinary double-DIN automotive radio in there?

You would have thousands of different models to choose from - many of which also have a GPS receiver, wifi, bluetooth, multiple video inputs and outputs, etc.

My personal favorites are the "full Android" models that use some flavor of Android as their operating system. This allows you to run just about any Android app in existence on them - navigation, MP3 and video players, weather radar, pdf file viewers, Spotify, Pandora, etc.

BruceMc

Oregon - Willamette Valley

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/11/22 04:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Telling me I have "thousands of different models to choose from" doesn't help; do you have general recommendations for an automotive single or double DIN radio that has HDMI(ARC)support?

Replacing the Jensen with an automotive radio would be more than welcome, if it supports video playback and audio return channel (the ARC part of HDMI(ARC)), AND has a respectable remote - not a slab with bubbles.

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/22 04:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Jensen has HDMI ARC. I can and do run it through a Samsung sound bar I installed that feeds the Jensen TV.
Only draw back is it's not BRay compatible. But then again the Jensen Tv isn't all that great. Good enough but that's it.
We don't watch movies much, mostly TV from our Dish sat. Probably only used the TT house speakers a half dozen times since 2019. Soundbar with wireless sub and Pandora or Sat TV is our go to.

dieseltruckdriver

Black Hills of SD

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/22 05:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It drives my wife crazy that a 2018 5th wheel doesn't have a Blue Ray player in it. I actually want the same thing the OP wants. I want the ARC and since I have our tv running through our rig speakers instead of the much crappier tv speakers, I would also like to upgrade with the same parameters.

Definitely watching this one to see if anyone comes up with something other than what has been mentioned.

Edited to add: I have the exact same model as the OP also, but don't find the remote "terrible".

2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

BurbMan

Indianapolis, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/12/22 06:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We gave up on DVDs this go round...I installed a 50" smart TV and also a bluetooth adapter for the audio-in on the RV stereo. Using a mobile hot spot I can stream anything I want off of any of my subscribed services, plus I BT connect the TV to the stereo for surround sound. No worries about HDMI ARC.

2015 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel
2008 Heartland Big Country 3250TS
SOLD: 2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
2002 Lance 811 Renovation Story!

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/22 08:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I find rv sound systems are garbage. what I would do if it mattered that much to me is get a good quality sound bar set up for the tv and replace the radio part with a deicent quality car sterio. I don't worry about the blueray as I have a Iptv box that I just bring with me if I know im going to have internet , if not we can watch dvd's if we have to, but don't realy turn on the tv unless we are using it as a house for work or kids sports.

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

LJAZ

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/12/22 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When the Jensen unit in my trailer would no longer play DVD's I spent a ton of time researching to find a quality brand to replace it. Only to find, as you have, that the brands available for RV's are all pretty much junk. If I wanted quality I was going to have to get separate components and do a bunch of modification to fit and wire them up. In the end I decided to just get a newer model Jensen from Crutchfield. It was cheap enough that I could just live with it until it broke and throw it away for new one. On the plus side it was the same dimensions as the old one and the wiring harness connectors were identical so It was literally plug and play. 5 minutes start to finish.

2011 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4
2009 Funfinder 210 WBS
Prodigy P3

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Replacement for Jensen Entertainment Center
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.