|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Trying to figure out what trailers I can tow

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ssthrd

Vancouver Island

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/22 10:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't understand why all the back and forth about all of this. Seems to me that there is only one way to do this without looking at door stickers and getting generic info from wherever.

We all should know our truck GVW, and gross axle weight ratings. Simply drive to the nearest truck scale and weigh front and rear axles, and add em together for the truck weight. Subtract those numbers from the numbers you already know, and Bob's yer uncle!

What better way to figure out how big a trailer you can tow? The drawback from there is wading thru the manufacturers weight info which we all know is always on the light side. Common sense should take over from there. IMHO of course.

2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2011 Palomino Maverick 800M
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/15/22 08:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ssthrd wrote:

I don't understand why all the back and forth about all of this. Seems to me that there is only one way to do this without looking at door stickers and getting generic info from wherever.

We all should know our truck GVW, and gross axle weight ratings. Simply drive to the nearest truck scale and weigh front and rear axles, and add em together for the truck weight. Subtract those numbers from the numbers you already know, and Bob's yer uncle!

What better way to figure out how big a trailer you can tow? The drawback from there is wading thru the manufacturers weight info which we all know is always on the light side. Common sense should take over from there. IMHO of course.

How do you do that is you are buying a truck? Or even worst, have to order one because the dealer doesn't stock them anymore?

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/15/22 11:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ken56 wrote:

I spent the last 12 years out of my 32 years working at GM at the Flint Assembly plant and I never did see where those trucks were weighed and stickered. I was on skilled trades and was everywhere in that plant. No idea how they figured out the weight of those trucks with their different options as they rolled off the line. Maybe I just didn't pay attention.....

I always assumed the guys who said there was a scale were just making it up.

Unlike RVs, the automotive industry, they know the weight of each piece and part down to the gnats ass. They probably just add up the weights based on selected options. They might do an occasional sample vehicle to confirm but I doubt they have a scale at the exit to the plant with a guy typing up the yellow stickers as each truck gets weighed.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Boomerweps

Hills of PA

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/22 01:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

ken56 wrote:

I spent the last 12 years out of my 32 years working at GM at the Flint Assembly plant and I never did see where those trucks were weighed and stickered. I was on skilled trades and was everywhere in that plant. No idea how they figured out the weight of those trucks with their different options as they rolled off the line. Maybe I just didn't pay attention.....

I always assumed the guys who said there was a scale were just making it up.

Unlike RVs, the automotive industry, they know the weight of each piece and part down to the gnats ass. They probably just add up the weights based on selected options. They might do an occasional sample vehicle to confirm but I doubt they have a scale at the exit to the plant with a guy typing up the yellow stickers as each truck gets weighed.

Ford had a list for adding and subtracting the weight of those various options. I downloaded it from some Ford site courtesy of someone on the F150 Forum. Sorry, no link. But it appears their weight listings are calculated, vice actual weighing each vehicle.

2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, TBC

Boomerweps

Hills of PA

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/22 02:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

Boomerweps wrote:

You start out so well and then, in the words of the J. Gail’s Band, “must have got lost, somewhere down the line”.
First, all liquids, including a full gas tank, are part of the factory curb weight and not part of the Load Capacity.
Second, for clarity, the 150# driver (& now 150# single passenger in 2020+ for Ford) is only allowed for in the tow rating ONLY. SAE tow test standards also allow for a 100# Weight Distributing Hitch but that is not always referenced by truck makers.
Easiest no cost weigh (pun intended) to get the factory built curb weight is subtract the factory Load Capacity from the GVWR, looking at two door frame stickers.

No, I think you went right off the rails so to speak.

You live in PA, right?

You do realize PA does include the unladen weight of your vehicle right on the registration card, right?

OK, so I will take my newest truck for example..

GVWR listed on the door is 10,000
Unladen weight listed on PA registration card is 5,742
Yellow loading sticker states 3,800 lbs

10,000 - 5,742 = 4,258 (cargo)

But, wait.. there is a discrepancy between what your manual calculation is..

calculated cargo 4,258 - yellow sticker 3,800 = 458 difference..

Truck has 35 gallon fuel tank and at roughly 8 lbs per gallon that is 280 lbs..

458 - 280 lbs = 178 lbs..

The 178 lbs is pretty darn close to the 150 lbs specified as the DRIVER.. and the 28 lbs discrepancy is most likely due to rounding the fuel weight..

For the record, the truck I used IS a 2020 F250..

So, my math says that the yellow sticker does account for the full fuel tank and driver and using the CURB weight of the vehicle does not take into account full tank of fuel or driver..

This makes sense since the factory does not ship ANY vehicle with a full tank of fuel, they ship it with just enough fuel to load and unload and get it to the dealers lot. Dealer is responsible for filling the tank the first time when you buy it.

Pretty clear.

Not so clear.
Forgot PA lists an Unladen Weight on the registration. Don’t know how they determine that. Guesses don’t count.
Yes, vehicles are not shipped with a full tank. But it is easily calculated by them to figure out for the curb weight.
Yellow sticker states “The combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed:” That means driver is part of the load capacity. My truck 2019 F150 Owner’s Manual goes into detail on the yellow sticker in the Towing section and gives examples that include the driver.

Skibane

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/22 03:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The larger your trailer is, the fewer (and more expensive) your tow vehicle options become.

This is also true for your campsite options.

[image]

nickthehunter

Southgate, MI

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/22 05:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anyone that is confused by the differing opinions and wants to know what the real definition of curb weight, payload, etc. is, can go to the clicky I posted earlier and get the “facts”.
Clicky

Boomerweps

Hills of PA

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/22 08:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nickthehunter wrote:

Anyone that is confused by the differing opinions and wants to know what the real definition of curb weight, payload, etc. is, can go to the clicky I posted earlier and get the “facts”.
Clicky

An excellent missive.
Note that much of what is listed is also clearly described in the manufacturer’s Towing Guide.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/22 08:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So, do the majority of persons replying here, who are either arguing semantics or instructing how to theoretically determine what is permissible by the trucks ratings….do you guys actually know the answer or do you just like hearing yourself talk?
“An excellent missive…”. WTH kind of reply is that?
If you don’t have a relatively educated ACTUAL response for the OP, then it means you’re as clueless as him. So why not refrain and hope to gain something g from the thread rather than polluting it with arguments about how much the avg human weighs or mis interpreting the unit weight of gasoline?
Good grief…

* This post was edited 04/17/22 02:48pm by Grit dog *

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

uses1823

Apex, NC

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/22 01:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Guys, I finally got all the numbers!

At I read it correctly, it has:

GVWR: 7100 LB
GAWR FRONT: 3900 LB
GAWR REAR: 4100 LB

The total payload allowed: 1447 LB
Towing capacity is 6280 LB

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8se8qrj8lcp125c/1.jpeg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/43u0en4ui8u88zp/2.jpeg?dl=0

Do these numbers allow us to calculate the compatibility of trailer and truck? The trailer for instance is Flying Cloud 23ft with the following towing requirements:

GVWR: 6000 LB
NCC: 1239 LB
UBW: 4761 LB
Hitch Weight: 654 LB

Additional payload in a truck will by 2 people (including a driver) and stuff: 260 LB + 200 LB = 400 LB.

The additional payload in the trailer is going to be about 300 LB (mostly clothes and kitchen stuff).

Much appreciated your guidance, hope to learn how those calculations are usually made.

* This post was edited 04/17/22 01:43pm by uses1823 *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Trying to figure out what trailers I can tow
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.