RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Keeping fridge door open while in storage

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

 > Keeping fridge door open while in storage

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Wade44

Ohio Farm Country

Full Member

Joined: 03/29/2022

View Profile



Posted: 04/15/22 03:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LASilvey wrote:

We always store our trailer with the fridge open however we will be switching to an indoor facility and they may shift the units around while in storage. My question is, while there's a hundred ways to keep your door open while the rig is still, does anyone else have this situation and a good way to keep the door open yet not banging open/closed in the event the trailer moves? Thank you!


I would be more concerned about the possibility of having some nose picking tweaker that just made a career change from Burger King Frytech to Storage Facility Executive, whose towing and driving experience consists of Matchbox cars when he was 9, shifting my stuff around a crowded storage facility.

Jam a block of 2x4 in the fridge doors and wrap some bungees around it to hold them in place.


2018 Marathon H3-45
2019 GMC Sierra Denali (Toad)
2012 Grady White 271 Canyon

Scottiemom

Florida

Senior Member

Joined: 09/09/2003

View Profile



Posted: 04/15/22 04:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mockturtle wrote:

When I leave my AZ home for the summer, I fill the refrigerator and freezer with crumpled up brown paper and keep the door shut after thoroughly cleaning and drying it. Been doing it for years. Leaving the door open when it's hot (I leave the A/C on 88 degrees F) can dry out the gasket if the door is left open.
In my RV I leave my refrigerator running all the time but if I were to leave it off, I'd do the same.


This works. I tried various things with the fridge in my Texas room. I used the clamps to keep it open and it warped the gasket. So then I just left the door open all the way and it warped the door a bit. Found drying out the fridge really well and closing the door worked. I added crumbled up newspaper to catch any residual moisture, but this works great and keeps the door in the proper position to avoid warping or gasket problems.

Dale


Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2004 R-Vision Trail-lite 213 (MinnieMee)
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/
Where are we?


JRscooby

Indepmo

Senior Member

Joined: 06/10/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/15/22 05:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use charcoal when camping. Part of packing up is clean and dry fridge. Then I put the bag of charcoal inside, close and latch the door.

LASilvey

Sacramento, CA

New Member

Joined: 07/09/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/15/22 09:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nickthehunter wrote:

2112 wrote:

LASilvey wrote:

My door has pins you can extend to keep the door from closing however, they don't keep it from swinging open if the rig moves.
Norcold has a slot in the door jam for the pin to slide into to hold the door slightly open.
Exactly, that's how mine work also. They extend into a little hole to keep the door from moving.


Wow, I'm gonna have to look now...I've never used those pins! They hold it open enough for good air flow and really hold it steady in the event of movement?? Thank you!


2005 Arctic Fox
2003 Ford F-250 Diesel
1 Hard working hubby/daddy
2 2-legged babies
1 4-legged baby

GizmosMom

NE Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 02/18/2002

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 04/15/22 09:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just hang two towels over the doors. They keep them open In addition I save all of the various silica gel packets that come with medications and electronics and I leave them in a plastic container on a shelf to absorb any moisture.


Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat.
Smudge, (in photo) a Shih Tzu/Yorkie Mix and Gizmo is waiting at the Rainbow Bridge



2112

Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 07/16/2011

View Profile



Posted: 04/15/22 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LASilvey wrote:


Wow, I'm gonna have to look now...I've never used those pins! They hold it open enough for good air flow and really hold it steady in the event of movement?? Thank you!
That's how I store mine. That's what it's there for.

It can be a little difficult to get the pin to line up with the hole. I have to work at it.

It leaves a slight gap between the frame and gasket to allow air in. Remember it's pinned when you go back to open it. It looks closed and you'll break the pin if you go tugging on it.


2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens, PullRite SuperGlide 2700 15K
2013 KZ Durango 2857


LASilvey

Sacramento, CA

New Member

Joined: 07/09/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/15/22 09:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2112 wrote:

LASilvey wrote:


Wow, I'm gonna have to look now...I've never used those pins! They hold it open enough for good air flow and really hold it steady in the event of movement?? Thank you!
That's how I store mine. That's what it's there for.

It can be a little difficult to get the pin to line up with the hole. I have to work at it.

It leaves a slight gap between the frame and gasket to allow air in. Remember it's pinned when you go back to open it. It looks closed and you'll break the pin if you go tugging on it.


Thank you so much! I gotta go check mine and see how this works! Surely since I have the pins, I have the holes as well - I've just never noticed them?!

pasusan

Northernmost PA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/13/2009

View Profile



Posted: 04/16/22 03:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Scottiemom wrote:

mockturtle wrote:

When I leave my AZ home for the summer, I fill the refrigerator and freezer with crumpled up brown paper and keep the door shut after thoroughly cleaning and drying it. Been doing it for years. Leaving the door open when it's hot (I leave the A/C on 88 degrees F) can dry out the gasket if the door is left open.
In my RV I leave my refrigerator running all the time but if I were to leave it off, I'd do the same.


This works. I tried various things with the fridge in my Texas room. I used the clamps to keep it open and it warped the gasket. So then I just left the door open all the way and it warped the door a bit. Found drying out the fridge really well and closing the door worked. I added crumbled up newspaper to catch any residual moisture, but this works great and keeps the door in the proper position to avoid warping or gasket problems.

Dale
I have to agree with this. It is definitely better for the seal for the door to be closed. My fridges are never musty when opened in the spring.


"I'm out here to enjoy nature -- don't talk to me about the environment!" ~Denny Crane

Susan & Ben
2004 Roadtrek 170 for quick getaways
84 Bronco & 90 Award Classic 23 joined with a Hensley Cub for longer trips
Trip Pics

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 09/08/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/22/22 11:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nickthehunter wrote:

All the RV fridges that I have seen have a lock that holds the door ajar and locked into that position. Check the manual.


Ditto.

Mine had issues staying locked open until I fixed the problem as shown in this video on a Norcold Fridge


2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

LASilvey

Sacramento, CA

New Member

Joined: 07/09/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/26/22 09:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you so much!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

 > Keeping fridge door open while in storage
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.