RV.Net Open Roads Forum: '22 Powerstroke seems a little thirstier than the '21 was.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> '22 Powerstroke seems a little thirstier than the '21 was.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/24/22 05:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We all have had that occasion, that maybe a higher power was looking out for us. In the pics above 12V certainly is an example. The good pics make a great safety public service awareness for anyone towing, especially double towing, to show the added force applied to second trailer.

Bionic Man makes a good point, as to why the added stress to second trailer attachment. My factory receiver on back of FW, like many, states 300 hitch wt, 3,000 trailer wt. Mine is well designed, heavy steel tubing, frame rail to rail, and to look, you'd say it would handle much more than the CYA specs.

When you amplify that 300 lbs, with the whip/bounce, up/down action of a dip in the road, going over a bridge, anything that feels like a speed bump, the stress of 300 lbs dead weight is much higher. It is the same reason many lose their bicycles mounted on the rear.

Anyway glad Cummins12V98 had a safe trip! Yes, just having a co-pilot to talk with, to keep you awake/alert is helpful, when towing long distance.

Jerry

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/22 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

That looks a little scary alright! I know what you mean regarding how easy it is to not notice the second trailer. I think it is certainly safer for me to double tow than it is for me to have my bike riding on a carrier 13 feet behind my 5vers rear axle, but, because double towing is illegal in BC I carry my bike far more than I double tow. I can not understand why double towing is not legal on all highways. What kind of fuel economy did you get coming home 12V?

Hand calc filled to the TOP at every stop, NO double click BS. Palm Springs, CA to Barstow mostly uphill and head winds 7.74, Bakersfield last leg down hill 7.13 headwinds along 58, Ripon 9.4, Corning 8.5 winds coning from my left, Weed 7.13 uphill, 8.82 mountains Roseburg, OR, 9.3 Napavine, WA and I did not fill at home but last tank should be around 9.3 NW, WA.

I am happy with those numbers based on double towing along with some headwinds and 35k combined. I towed at 60 mph the whole trip. Normal no wind trip I would be right around 9mpg.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/22 08:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bionic Man wrote:

The 2nd trailer takes a ton of stress when you double tow. I think it is because the connection point is so far back behind the first trailer axles.

I've double towed since about 2000. In that time, I have broken the hitch on the back of my trailer, broken the weld on the tower that holds my boat winch, and broken the weld that holds the pin on my brake away tongue.

In 2014 I had the rear of my 5er reinforced, along with the hitch. A welder reinforced the frame of the trailer all the way forward of the axles, and put on a very heavy duty hitch.

I'm done towing my big boat, but still tow a 17' Ranger.

Anyway, keep a close eye on all potential failure points. They are under considerable stress.

Glad it ended well for you.

Good advice! My great friend is a Machinist and metal fabricator. He has lots of experience in rebuilding trailers etc. I will get it to his shop and we will beef the HE!! out of it.

I will call Kendon tomorrow and see what they say. It is a two bike cruiser rated model.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/22 08:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ksss wrote:

The upside would have been it would have made upgrading to an Indian a little easier...

My friend that is going to help rebuild the trailer has a 17 Darkhorse Chieftain that is VERY nice!

I will say I am more than impressed with my 09 FLHTCU ElectraClassic UltraGlide.

My two best friends came down to SoCal to visit and ride, ride, and ride some more earlier this month!!!

[image]

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/22 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

We all have had that occasion, that maybe a higher power was looking out for us. In the pics above 12V certainly is an example. The good pics make a great safety public service awareness for anyone towing, especially double towing, to show the added force applied to second trailer.

Bionic Man makes a good point, as to why the added stress to second trailer attachment. My factory receiver on back of FW, like many, states 300 hitch wt, 3,000 trailer wt. Mine is well designed, heavy steel tubing, frame rail to rail, and to look, you'd say it would handle much more than the CYA specs.

When you amplify that 300 lbs, with the whip/bounce, up/down action of a dip in the road, going over a bridge, anything that feels like a speed bump, the stress of 300 lbs dead weight is much higher. It is the same reason many lose their bicycles mounted on the rear.

Anyway glad Cummins12V98 had a safe trip! Yes, just having a co-pilot to talk with, to keep you awake/alert is helpful, when towing long distance.

Jerry

I am a firm believer I have a Guardian Angel, too many experiences in my life to think otherwise.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/22 10:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow, those aren’t cheap trailers.
Of course, you’re aware that being on the back of a recreational B train beats the heck out of a trailer, but I would still expect a trailer of that price range to be able to handle it, indefinitely.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

ksss

Eastern Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/22 10:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

ksss wrote:

The upside would have been it would have made upgrading to an Indian a little easier...

My friend that is going to help rebuild the trailer has a 17 Darkhorse Chieftain that is VERY nice!

I will say I am more than impressed with my 09 FLHTCU ElectraClassic UltraGlide.

My two best friends came down to SoCal to visit and ride, ride, and ride some more earlier this month!!!

[image]

Very nice!

2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/22 12:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ksss wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

ksss wrote:

[image]

Very nice!

X2...

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"200k Mile Club"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/22 02:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a great time.

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/22 09:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

ksss wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

ksss wrote:

[image]

Very nice!

X2...

X3 ... I've been looking at a new Indian. I just don't know if they are $40,000 nice.

2022 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> '22 Powerstroke seems a little thirstier than the '21 was.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.