|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> Lithium and México

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 04/18/22 09:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

México is making more and more noise about their gigantic deposits of lithium. Statements like "México has more lithium currently recoverable than the rest of the world put togther"

Sounds like burro apples to me. But since the country has the worlds largest battery plant (LTH) and is the largest supplier of lead, it means they have all the equipment to do open pit mining on a massive scale. They can ship titanic size equipment on railroad flat cars directly to a mine. Then ship the ore via gondola cars to the processing plant

To me this is great news. It will put Caterpillar workers back to double shifts. Vastly increase the need for battery control modules, eliminate the need for ocean going containers and ships, reduce delivery time, and last but not least employ several thousand workers, perhaps tens of thousands. ¿Quien Sabes?

Y-Guy

Tri-Cities, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/22 06:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved from Tech Issues to Around the Campfire

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/22 11:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Because of the NIMBY syndrome, and likely no bothersome environmental issues, should be cross-border widely acceptable per SOP…

3 tons

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/22 05:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey, people don't even want cell towers around their area, it's unlikely they'd be thrilled to see a big ol' strip mine down on the cul de sac.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

otrfun

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/21/22 03:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

México is making more and more noise about their gigantic deposits of lithium. Statements like "México has more lithium currently recoverable than the rest of the world put togther"

Sounds like burro apples to me. But since the country has the worlds largest battery plant (LTH) and is the largest supplier of lead, it means they have all the equipment to do open pit mining on a massive scale. They can ship titanic size equipment on railroad flat cars directly to a mine. Then ship the ore via gondola cars to the processing plant

To me this is great news. It will put Caterpillar workers back to double shifts. Vastly increase the need for battery control modules, eliminate the need for ocean going containers and ships, reduce delivery time, and last but not least employ several thousand workers, perhaps tens of thousands. ¿Quien Sabes?
Ganfeng (a Chinese company) supplies 24% of the world's lithium. Ganfeng also has exclusive mining rights to some of Mexico's largest lithium deposits---at least for the time being. Mexico is giving some thought to nationalizing their lithium industry. It'll be interesting to see how all this plays out.

MEXICOWANDERER

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/22 07:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gadfeng HAD (past tense) rights. AMLO just Nationalized the nation's lithium deposits. No one no entity can touch the deposits but a national company that is licensed by the Mexican government. The legislature and public cheered much like they did with crude oil and refining in 1938.

The government at the same time excluded outside interference in electrical ge generation and distribution. When California's experiment led to wild west uncontrolled prices in 1989, Mexico was watching closely. A million dollars per megawatt hour outraged a lot of watchers. Look what happened in Texas during a snowstorm.

charlestonsouthern

Summerville, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/22 12:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mexicowanderer, I am definitely NOT pro Chinese. However, this is just par for the course of Mexico breaking agreements time after time with other countries; its signature on a piece of paper is not worth spit. That includes the trilateral agreement regarding the pandemic, the newly made trade agreement after NAFTA, and its very ambiguous votes in the UN regarding Ukraine (in particular, the Russia-Mexico Friendship Agreement). The list could go on and on.

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/22 02:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mexico isn't even in the top 6:

"With 8 million tons, Chile has the world's largest known lithium reserves. This puts the South American country ahead of Australia (2.7 million tons), Argentina (2 million tons) and China (1 million tons)."

MEXICOWANDERER

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/22 04:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In the last month new deposits were found after overburden is removed. They are in eastern Sonora and Western Chihuahua.

Apparently there is enough economically recoverable lithium to last the United States and Canada forever.

México has a long history of breaking trade agreements. E. Caveat Emptor. China is just as guilty of exploitation as everyone else.

The point I'm trying to make is by having lithium available and able to be turned into batteries on site may reduce consumer prices by a significant amount. I'd love to be able to buy a top notch battery for "A couple hundred" dollars. I want to see lead disappear from public exposure.

udidwht

Seattle

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/23/22 11:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wyoming has a huge deposit.

1994 Fleetwood Southwind Storm
P-30 chassis 7.4L 454 TBI 58,301 miles and counting....(as of 06/08/19)
VIN# 1GBJP37N4R3314754
Flight System Generator man 360 (PM me)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> Lithium and México
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.