|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Slow start system for air conditioner

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Itinerant1

Itinerant

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/22 08:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the AC is running for cooling the trailer aren't you in it and most likely have other things on (tv, radio)? So how loud is the 2000w or 2200w generator? Where is it placed under your chair window?

I know when my 2000 or 2200w generator is running for long periods with the air conditioning I don’t hear it inside but then I'll connect a second 30a cord to my 50a which will put the generator 25' away with the exhaust blowing away from the 5th wheel.

Lugging around 130# or more generator doesn't sound like fun.

12v 500ah, 20 cells_ 4s5p (GBS LFMP battery system). 8 CTI 160 watt panels (1,280 watts)2s4p,Panels mounted flat. Magnum PT100 SCC, Magnum 3012 hybrid inverter, ME-ARC 50. Installed 4/2016 been on 24/7/365, daily 35-45% DOD 2,100+ partial cycles.

Cptnvideo

Arizona - most of the time

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/22 12:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Lugging around 130# or more generator doesn't sound like fun."

My 3500 watt Harbor Freight inverter/generator (which I rarely need or use) is always in the truck bed. Its heavy, but I only have to move it to the tailgate, so weight is not much of an issue.

Bill & Linda
Arizona
2019 Dodge Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel
Hensley Trailer Saver BD5 hitch
2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS
1600 watts solar, 3kw inverter/charger, 3 206AH LiFePo4 batteries

Itinerant1

Itinerant

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/22 12:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cptnvideo wrote:

My 3500 watt Harbor Freight inverter/generator (which I rarely need or use) is always in the truck bed. Its heavy, but I only have to move it to the tailgate, so weight is not much of an issue.

Your solar/ battery system is very similar to mine and in 6 years of continuous boondocking I have never felt anything larger than 2-2200w generator was needed, whether throwing a hold over charge or running the AC even at 7-8,000' elevation on a hot day. I suppose having the hydrid inverter/ charger has its advantages though.

If a person had the large generator before hand and don't mind carrying it in the bed of the truck no reason to get rid of it. Having options for different camping....glamping needs makes roughing it easier. [emoticon]

Cptnvideo

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/22 01:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Itinerant1 wrote:

Cptnvideo wrote:

Your solar/ battery system is very similar to mine and in 6 years of continuous boondocking I have never felt anything larger than 2-2200w generator was needed, whether throwing a hold over charge or running the AC even at 7-8,000' elevation on a hot day. I suppose having the hydrid inverter/ charger has its advantages though.

If a person had the large generator before hand and don't mind carrying it in the bed of the truck no reason to get rid of it. Having options for different camping....glamping needs makes roughing it easier. [emoticon]

We actually bought the genny just before taking delivery of the 5th wheel. I debated about how much genny to buy but finally decided to have more than needed than the other way around.
BTW, we're currently at 7856' elevation on the edge of the Mogollon Rim.

Cptnvideo

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/22 01:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Itinerant1 wrote:

Cptnvideo wrote:

Cptnvideo

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/22 01:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cptnvideo wrote:

Itinerant1 wrote:

Cptnvideo wrote:

We actually bought the genny just before taking delivery of the 5th wheel. I debated about how much genny to buy and finally decided I would rather have too much than not enough.
BTW, we're currently boondocking at the edge of the Mogollon Rim in AZ at an elevation of 7856'. Definitely no need for A/C.

Cptnvideo

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/22 01:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oops, double post. Computer glitch.

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/22 07:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

www.microair.net is the one I use.
Use discount code of FATE to get $25.00 off.

I installed one on my Coleman Mach 8 a few years ago. I show how to install it in this video

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Slow start system for air conditioner
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.