RV.Net Open Roads Forum: 2022 F-150 Can Not install aftermarket brake controller!!!!!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 2022 F-150 Can Not install aftermarket brake controller!!!!!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
dcb17b

foothills of the Adirondacks

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/22 01:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been searching for a brake controller connecting wire for my new truck so I can hook up my Prodegy 3 controller and guess what.....I can't. I have to buy an OEM controller and have it flashed to the computer$400.When I looked online there were so many conflicting fitments so I called the dealership. The truck came with a hitch and a 4/7 pin connector soooo you would think if you HAD to have THEIR controller it would already be there.I bought one off the lot in January so I did not spec it but come on Ford...really?? Am I right in thinking if it has a 7 pin it should already have the controller as part of that package...or am I just becoming a cranky old man?

* This post was edited 04/26/22 01:33pm by dcb17b *

2022 F-150 STX 2,7 Ecoboost
2020 Wildwood FSX 179DBK

Fisherman

Angus, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/22 01:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bean counters counting beans, everywhere they can shave off a 1/4 inch of wiring. I would have to ask, did you check and see if there's a brake switch wire to tap into to activate the after market brake controller? The others are just +, - and the blue wire to the back 7 pin receptacle.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/22 01:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

maybe this will help:
etrailer support

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

dcb17b

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/22 03:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fisherman, I did not crawl under the dash (I was looking for a starting point).I checked on line to see what the plug end might look like but ran into so much conflicting information. The tekonsha website says there is no harness,Ford says there is no harness available yet the e-trailer website(referenced by enblethen) says"it's right here and shows a picture. The picture they reference is not that of a 2022. Sooo there is my confusion. In the end I have made an appointment to have one installed and are going to use "points" to help soften the blow.If nothing else I want to warn those who are buying a truck without a factory controller that they will need one and can't just plug one they have in.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/22 03:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, if it's true that there is no plug n play harness for an aftermarket controller, then see if there is a physical brake light switch on the brake pedal arm. If there is, you're in luck, just have to do it old school and wire up the +, -, trigger (wire to brake switch) and brake lead to light connector in back.

While it seems silly, I can see this happening, as "most" trucks seem to come with a factory brake controller for several years now.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/22 04:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dcb17b wrote:

Fisherman, I did not crawl under the dash (I was looking for a starting point).I checked on line to see what the plug end might look like but ran into so much conflicting information. The tekonsha website says there is no harness,Ford says there is no harness available yet the e-trailer website(referenced by enblethen) says"it's right here and shows a picture. The picture they reference is not that of a 2022. Sooo there is my confusion. In the end I have made an appointment to have one installed and are going to use "points" to help soften the blow.If nothing else I want to warn those who are buying a truck without a factory controller that they will need one and can't just plug one they have in.

To your point, a new truck, if it didn't come with a pig tail to wire onto a brake controller to plug into the truck harness, you're probably correct in it not being plug n play for aftermarket controllers.
Again, if it has a simple, physical brake light switch (which idk anymore, could be integrated into the system somewhere), it's not difficult, just more time consuming to hard wire in your own controller.

BurbMan

Indianapolis, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/26/22 04:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You want the Ford controller, the reason they have to flash the PCM is because of the anti-sway software. The computer uses input from all suspension and powertrain sensors to detect sway and apply the TT brakes as needed, something you will never get with an aftermarket unit, as good as the P3 is.

I agree you would think if you have the trailer connector it would have the controller...maybe the chip shortage played a factor and it got shipped without it? At any rate, with the $$ you have wrapped up in that new truck, spend a few $$ extra to get the Ford controller and have it programmed in, you will never gat the level of performance otherwise. Write the check and enjoy your new truck!

Side note, did you see the video posted here of another forum member taking his 7200 lb TT up Monteagle grade in TN with his little 2.7? Really impressive performance! Hard to say, but it pulled better than my old Suburban with the 8.1L!

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/22 04:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NEVER been too impressed with the P2 or P3. OE is MUCH better.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

dcb17b

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/22 08:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At least my money will be well spent. Thanks for all the input.

Mike134

Elgin, IL

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/22 06:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On my '19 F150 if you pull off the filler plate on the dash you should find a plug waiting for the OEM controller. Get an adapter and you can use your P3.

I like my OEM controller much better than the aftermarket

2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 2022 F-150 Can Not install aftermarket brake controller!!!!!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.