RV.Net Open Roads Forum: 2022 F-150 Can Not install aftermarket brake controller!!!!!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 2022 F-150 Can Not install aftermarket brake controller!!!!!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
dcb17b

foothills of the Adirondacks

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/22 07:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mike134 I really didn't realize there were options like that. The price of that is not much less than the factory one. My original intention was to spend $20 or so to buy a pigtail and hookup my P3. Not being able to do that was not expected. My truck is a lease so I'd rather the dealership go poking around and taking things apart.

2022 F-150 STX 2,7 Ecoboost
2020 Wildwood FSX 179DBK

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/22 11:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dcb17b wrote:

Mike134 I really didn't realize there were options like that. The price of that is not much less than the factory one. My original intention was to spend $20 or so to buy a pigtail and hookup my P3. Not being able to do that was not expected. My truck is a lease so I'd rather the dealership go poking around and taking things apart.

If In fact, the controller/adapter plugs into the integrated brake controller pigtail in the truck, you could just buy the adapter and splice it to your P3. The 4 wires do the same things regardless of brand of controller.
As it’s offered by etrailer, a reputable supplier, what Mike134 posted may work.
However, at some point you need to actually look at what your truck has and if the truck pigtail is the same plug, then you’re probably in luck.
The adapter in the etraielr add only pins out 4 of many pins in the truck side plug. Seems reasonable it just ignores the integrated part ( the other pin locations on that plug) and connects just the business end of things.
Again, pretty easy to get some certainty of that if you look at the truck plug compared to the pics on etrailer. Wire size will be a dead giveaway for the power lead and trailer brake lead vs the signal lead and ground.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/22 11:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe the dealer can connect P3 as indicated by Tekonsha information!
Could call etrailer person for more information.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/22 06:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not all Fords come with the harness. The higher the option list, the more likely the harness is there.

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/22 07:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

enblethen wrote:

Maybe the dealer can connect P3 as indicated by Tekonsha information!
Could call etrailer person for more information.

What part of THERE IS NO INFORMATION do people not get?

Tekonsha has out and said, "there is no adapter harness."

etrailer's information is just a placeholder on their site. It doesn't even go anywhere.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

deadticket8

All over

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/29/22 05:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am buying a Ranger with a tow package. And safety braking features. Only one brake controller is compatible. Ford gets around $336 for it. But will not factory install. Go figure. Almost everyone is towing with the new ranger. The brake wire has to be run back to the cab brake light. For some reason it screws up the braking system if tied into the harness under the dash. Lots of good and also bad you tube videos on it.

deadticket8

All over

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/29/22 05:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quick Question: Do any of you with the under dash plugs have safety braking on your vehicles?

Adam R

ut

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/22 10:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Adam R wrote:

I have a Prodigy that I move between three of my vehicles as needed. No problems with it working as intended and doing its job.

That’s nice…

Point being that it's easy enough to wire in an aftermarket controller as others have stated. None of my vehicles came with a factory brake controller option, but with power and a brake light switch wire it's pretty easy to get any vehicle wired up.

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/30/22 05:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BurbMan wrote:

You want the Ford controller, the reason they have to flash the PCM is because of the anti-sway software. The computer uses input from all suspension and powertrain sensors to detect sway and apply the TT brakes as needed, something you will never get with an aftermarket unit, as good as the P3 is.

I agree you would think if you have the trailer connector it would have the controller...maybe the chip shortage played a factor and it got shipped without it? At any rate, with the $$ you have wrapped up in that new truck, spend a few $$ extra to get the Ford controller and have it programmed in, you will never gat the level of performance otherwise. Write the check and enjoy your new truck!

Side note, did you see the video posted here of another forum member taking his 7200 lb TT up Monteagle grade in TN with his little 2.7? Really impressive performance! Hard to say, but it pulled better than my old Suburban with the 8.1L!

My 2021 2.7 is faster than my old 1967 Camaro SS/RS 350. 325HP 400 LB/FT. "It's got Twins!"

On spring trip North presently..

[image]

* This post was last edited 04/30/22 03:53pm by Me Again *   View edit history

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/22 09:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You left too soon as did I. Raining and cool up here!

Have a safe trip.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 2022 F-150 Can Not install aftermarket brake controller!!!!!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2023 CWI, Inc. © 2023 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.