|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> should I be using a stand when not in use

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
BurbMan

Indianapolis, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/27/22 10:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

BurbMan wrote:

JimK-NY wrote:

I have never heard of a jack failing or any major issue....

Then you haven't read this thread.

Not a fair comparison by any stretch. That camper was not designed for corner jacks, they were not properly mounted, the camper was old and the wood not in the best shape, and the ground was uneven and soft.

An AF1150 comes from the factory with four corner jacks, and they don't want warranty claims, so they will make sure the jacks are well mounted.

Now if it lets you sleep better at night, put some support under the camper.

1. OP has a 10 year old camper, don't know what condition the frame is in and if there is rot by the jack mounts.

2. OP doesn't state what condition the ground is in, even though it's parked under cover there may be soft spots due to drainage, etc.

3. OP's camper is WELL outside the warranty period.

We are not talking apples and oranges here, but more like oranges and tangerines...granted the post I cited is not exactly the same circumstances as the OP here, but there are enough similarities to make it relevant.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/22 02:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

JRscooby wrote:

Anybody remember the plywood Xs we used under water beds? Cut 1 sheet of 3/4 into 2 X 4 pieces, then notch in center of each. Another sheet on top, and maybe 3rd on the on the floor, would hold up couple feet above floor. If setting on pavement or even leveled gravel, the sheet on bottom would not need to by as thick, just hold the edge of other sheets out of water.
And for somebody that wanted to unload and use camper in a site, could double the sheet on ground. Could be carried under camper, raise it 3 inches.

3 sheets of 3/4 ply to gain 1-1/2" over the plywood X method? Lol
PS 3/4" x 3 = 2-1/4", not 3"
But on a practical note, when I first bought a TC, I thought that was a nifty idea. (The X, not the extra 130lbs of 2 more sheets of plywood on top of that)
And then I quickly found out that I just cut up a good sheet of plywood and made it useless. As the X ONLY works if the ground it's unloaded on is level, firm and flat.

3 sheets. 1)cut to form X. 2)Laying on top. 3)Lay on floor But the 1 on floor does not need to be thick. Or even used at all. If unloading on ground, or gravel, need to spread the load. In fact, doubled, the camper weight could be supported on pretty soft dirt. (BTW, I think that brings the total sheet count to 4)
Now, if a double stack of pallets, with less surface area, will hold it up, how do you level that? Plank on blocks? I think that would be about 4.5 square feet, instead of 32 square feet.

notsobigjoe

southeast

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/22 03:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's a great idea OP and inexpensive as well as not really being a whole lot of work.
https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/camper-mods/contests/off-the-truck-camper-support-system/
Also I'd like to add that I don't think there is a correct or incorrect way of doing this. What ever your comfortable with.

stevenal

Newport, OR, USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/22 07:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Happijac wrote:

For added safety and stability, support the camper floor with blocks and use camper jacks to stabilize.
https://www.happijac.com/images/pdfs/4150and45-4600.pdf

I have always followed this advice. I have noticed that dealers never do.

'18 Bigfoot 1500
Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

TxGearhead

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/01/22 02:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bigfoot wants a 4X4 across the front, right at the skirt, and at the rear.

2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> should I be using a stand when not in use
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.