|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> should I be using a stand when not in use

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/22 04:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

midnightsadie wrote:

seems to me it would take the stress off nuts an bolts if it was sitting on blocks.jack used for loading unloading.

You're correct, and any questionable setup (old camper, potential rot, poor quality, etc), I'd agree 100%.
I started out supporting our AF camper the first year, thought it was needed. Then as I noticed more campers, either being stored or in use off the truck, without supports, my means and methods get less involved, and the second one we bought was an 03 model (wood frame), sitting on jacks only for who knows how long, and continued to including being used to camp, off the truck just on jacks (lowered down) for another half dozen years.
I can recommend it being ok for AF camper in good condition, but qualify it with at your own risk for other campers/conditions/scenarios.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Lwiddis

Southern California :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/26/22 04:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

β€œ Our 2013 AF811 has spent all its 5-6 month winters on it’s jacks. On asphalt. No issues, and no other supports.”

Sorry for being overly cautious with a high dollar purchase, Slymer.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

notsobigjoe

southeast

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/22 06:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BurbMan wrote:

I always stored ours on a pair of 2x8 planks on top of cement blocks, so it sat like it did in the truck. Yes, the jacks are designed to support the camper, and we camped in it several times off the truck with it sitting on the jacks.

However, if you look at the length of the jacks they apply a LOT of leverage to the mounting points, and every time you wiggle something it works to make it looser. I depend on my jacks when I need them, why stress them when I don't?

There is certianly nothing wrong with how you are storing the camper, but in my mind putting on solid footing is better.

I agree and All great points! We have camped off the truck at least 300 times and we have never had a single issue. Of course a few years we had the stable-lift and that was even nicer. I do agree with your points though.

jimh406

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/22 07:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My TC has been unsupported almost all of the time it's off the truck for the past 16 years. However, I did support it on my property while we were having some remodeling done. It was easy enough to do it. I used jacks like these with a board on top. for each end. It did help the stability.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000........x_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

I think the more likely problem is the jacks sinking if not on asphalt or concrete. Do make sure you put something under the jacks to increase the surface area of the feet. I usually use 1 ft squares of a stall mat although plywood would work as well.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/22 08:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

Mine rests on cinder blocks when its not on the truck.
I don't have a good reason why other than I don't like it being stored on the jacks alone.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/26/22 09:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BurbMan wrote:

JimK-NY wrote:

I have never heard of a jack failing or any major issue....

Then you haven't read this thread.

I read it. It is about a failure to properly rebuild an old camper.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/22 04:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anybody remember the plywood Xs we used under water beds? Cut 1 sheet of 3/4 into 2 X 4 pieces, then notch in center of each. Another sheet on top, and maybe 3rd on the on the floor, would hold up couple feet above floor. If setting on pavement or even leveled gravel, the sheet on bottom would not need to by as thick, just hold the edge of other sheets out of water.
And for somebody that wanted to unload and use camper in a site, could double the sheet on ground. Could be carried under camper, raise it 3 inches.

joerg68

St. Ingbert, Germany

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/22 05:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am in favor of additional support when the camper is off the truck for some time. It is not much effort, and it will not hurt.
When the camper is outside, the wind can cause a little sway that may "wear" the jack mounts over time. If the camper has additional support, this can no longer happen.
When the camper is completely sheltered from the elements, it probably doesn't matter much.

2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/22 08:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

Anybody remember the plywood Xs we used under water beds? Cut 1 sheet of 3/4 into 2 X 4 pieces, then notch in center of each. Another sheet on top, and maybe 3rd on the on the floor, would hold up couple feet above floor. If setting on pavement or even leveled gravel, the sheet on bottom would not need to by as thick, just hold the edge of other sheets out of water.
And for somebody that wanted to unload and use camper in a site, could double the sheet on ground. Could be carried under camper, raise it 3 inches.

3 sheets of 3/4 ply to gain 1-1/2" over the plywood X method? Lol
PS 3/4" x 3 = 2-1/4", not 3"
But on a practical note, when I first bought a TC, I thought that was a nifty idea. (The X, not the extra 130lbs of 2 more sheets of plywood on top of that)
And then I quickly found out that I just cut up a good sheet of plywood and made it useless. As the X ONLY works if the ground it's unloaded on is level, firm and flat.

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/22 10:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BurbMan wrote:

JimK-NY wrote:

I have never heard of a jack failing or any major issue....

Then you haven't read this thread.

Not a fair comparison by any stretch. That camper was not designed for corner jacks, they were not properly mounted, the camper was old and the wood not in the best shape, and the ground was uneven and soft.

An AF1150 comes from the factory with four corner jacks, and they don't want warranty claims, so they will make sure the jacks are well mounted.

Now if it lets you sleep better at night, put some support under the camper.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> should I be using a stand when not in use
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2023 CWI, Inc. © 2023 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.