RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Ford stops taking orders on the lightening

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Ford stops taking orders on the lightening

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 15  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Reisender

NA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/09/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/30/22 02:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

Reisender wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

Reisender wrote:

Huntindog wrote:

time2roll wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

TFL's Ike Gaunlet test of the Rivian pulling a small trailer exposed the poor performance of the batteries capacity which the take away was
electric trucks are not ready to replace ICE trucks anytime soon.
For the narrow specific use of towing a large frontal area trailer up hills and long distance, Yes.

Plenty never tow anything ever.
Ummmm we are on the TOWING FORUM RIGHT? I am sure there is another forum somewhere to talk about commuter/grocery getter vehicles.


I don’t know. Lots of people with half tons tow RV’s around here. Most never go more than a couple hours from home because they have to be back at work on Monday. Long haul heavy towing will stay in the realm of gas and diesel vehicles for a few years yet. But many just don’t do that. From personal experience towing with an EV is superior to towing with a gas vehicle. Those who try it will only look forward to the day they switch. We tend to go camping somewhere every week or two with our little trailer and are still amazed how nice of a towing experience it is compared to our previous SUV. To each his own though.

Jmho.


The Rivian battery capacity is 1 mile/1 percent of battery capacity towing that small load which means the Rivian couldn't even make a 2 hour trip without having to disconnect the trailer and pull into a charging lane which is completely unacceptable.


I don’t know. A few things stand out to me.

- The Rivian battery capacity was 1 mile per 1 percent of battery in a stretch of highway that changed almost 7000 feet in altitude.

- That was a medium range model. That’s probably all they could get for the test.

- it might be just how we use our half tons here but 8100 pounds would not be considered a small load for a half ton. Not necessarily heavy either, but most people around here start to look at 3/4 tons if they are towing north of 8000 pounds regularly. Might just be a regional thing.

Jmho.


Could be but the technology for battery capacity compared to a fuel tank capacity is still a real issue as layed out in the early video I posted by Engineering Explained. A gas truck pulling that same load is able to tow the load to the Ike, perform the test and drive back to their office without refueling.

The battery capacity problem is not as significant in a car but for a truck is a showstopper IMO.


A challenge yes. A showstopper no.

But yah. I think you are correct in as far as seeing 3/4 and 1 tons replaced by electric anytime soon. And diesels are just a whole other category. Before we changed to the motorhome lifestyle we towed with an F350 dually with a 7.3 powerstroke. Great truck.

Safe travels.

JRscooby

Indepmo

Senior Member

Joined: 06/10/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/30/22 02:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

Huntindog wrote:

time2roll wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

TFL's Ike Gaunlet test of the Rivian pulling a small trailer exposed the poor performance of the batteries capacity which the take away was
electric trucks are not ready to replace ICE trucks anytime soon.
For the narrow specific use of towing a large frontal area trailer up hills and long distance, Yes.

Plenty never tow anything ever.
Ummmm we are on the TOWING FORUM RIGHT? I am sure there is another forum somewhere to talk about commuter/grocery getter vehicles.


I don’t know. Lots of people with half tons tow RV’s around here. Most never go more than a couple hours from home because they have to be back at work on Monday. Long haul heavy towing will stay in the realm of gas and diesel vehicles for a few years yet. But many just don’t do that. From personal experience towing with an EV is superior to towing with a gas vehicle. Those who try it will only look forward to the day they switch. We tend to go camping somewhere every week or two with our little trailer and are still amazed how nice of a towing experience it is compared to our previous SUV. To each his own though.

Jmho.


Couple in my extended family rent storage for TT and boat near CG/lake. Their SUV is likely overloaded when they tow TT, but if they go camping twice a month in the summer, less than 150 miles a year. If the E pickup could handle the 2 short tows with TT, 2 with the boat, and the 200 mile round trip home, I could see both their cars could be EVs.

time2roll

Southern California

Senior Member

Joined: 03/21/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 04/30/22 03:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

time2roll wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

TFL's Ike Gaunlet test of the Rivian pulling a small trailer exposed the poor performance of the batteries capacity which the take away was
electric trucks are not ready to replace ICE trucks anytime soon.
For the narrow specific use of towing a large frontal area trailer up hills and long distance, Yes.

Plenty never tow anything ever.
Ummmm we are on the TOWING FORUM RIGHT? I am sure there is another forum somewhere to talk about commuter/grocery getter vehicles.
OK and yet there are actual people on this forum towing with EVs of lesser capability than the Rivian.


2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

Senior Member

Joined: 04/08/2002

View Profile



Posted: 04/30/22 04:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When using a EV to tow an RV, it only works if you are not going very far, AND there is a plug in available when camped.

Forget about boondocking.
I think many people at least want the capability of being able to do that on occasion.



Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountryC CD/A 4X4 DRW



Wade44

Ohio Farm Country

Full Member

Joined: 03/29/2022

View Profile



Posted: 04/30/22 04:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:



Meh. We have been hearing that for 7 years since we switched to EV’s. Back then it was 4 times cheaper to drive electric than gas. Now it’s 6 times cheaper.

BC hydro is applying to implement TOU or time of use billing. If they are successful it will be 12 times cheaper to drive electric than gas. Hope they are successful. [emoticon].


Meh, it doesn't matter what you have been hearing or doing for 7 years. It's only a matter of time before the tipping point is reached where fuel tax revenue falls off enough to push gubmint to tax EV's in some way to make it up. It may be a mileage tax, a registration tax, or perhaps a surcharge added to your electric bill, who knows what. The certain thing is it's coming and probably soon. Then it will not be cheaper. I would not be surprised if it ends up more expensive.


2018 Marathon H3-45
2019 GMC Sierra Denali (Toad)
2012 Grady White 271 Canyon

Reisender

NA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/09/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/30/22 04:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

When using a EV to tow an RV, it only works if you are not going very far, AND there is a plug in available when camped.

Forget about boondocking.
I think many people at least want the capability of being able to do that on occasion.


I don’t know. We have been out 4 times this year. All were dry camping. No services. All within a couple hours. But nothing stopping us from going further. We are headed for Quebec from BC. An 8 week 11000 kilometre round trip tour.

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

Senior Member

Joined: 04/08/2002

View Profile



Posted: 04/30/22 05:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

Huntindog wrote:

When using a EV to tow an RV, it only works if you are not going very far, AND there is a plug in available when camped.

Forget about boondocking.
I think many people at least want the capability of being able to do that on occasion.


I don’t know. We have been out 4 times this year. All were dry camping. No services. All within a couple hours. But nothing stopping us from going further. We are headed for Quebec from BC. An 8 week 11000 kilometre round trip tour.
I used to dog trial with a fella that camped on a cot.... No tent or shelter of any kind. Most of the time he seemed real happy.
And then there are people towing with totally inadaquete lashups....You see them on the highway with their TT dancing all over the road... They seem happy as well.
I guess there is no accounting for expectation levels.


Reisender

NA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/09/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/30/22 06:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

Reisender wrote:

Huntindog wrote:

When using a EV to tow an RV, it only works if you are not going very far, AND there is a plug in available when camped.

Forget about boondocking.
I think many people at least want the capability of being able to do that on occasion.


I don’t know. We have been out 4 times this year. All were dry camping. No services. All within a couple hours. But nothing stopping us from going further. We are headed for Quebec from BC. An 8 week 11000 kilometre round trip tour.
I used to dog trial with a fella that camped on a cot.... No tent or shelter of any kind. Most of the time he seemed real happy.
And then there are people towing with totally inadaquete lashups....You see them on the highway with their TT dancing all over the road... They seem happy as well.
I guess there is no accounting for expectation levels.


Heh Heh [emoticon] Not sure what any of that means but keep on writing the story to suit your narrative. Meantime we'll keep going to places like these we have been to this year already. And we'll sign off there as we'll be on the road for a few days. Time to go camping.

Cheers, safe travels and good health.

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/30/22 06:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wade44 wrote:


Meh, it doesn't matter what you have been hearing or doing for 7 years. It's only a matter of time before the tipping point is reached where fuel tax revenue falls off enough to push gubmint to tax EV's in some way to make it up. It may be a mileage tax, a registration tax, or perhaps a surcharge added to your electric bill, who knows what. The certain thing is it's coming and probably soon. Then it will not be cheaper. I would not be surprised if it ends up more expensive.


Nothing suggests it will be cheaper, if history is literally the basis!
Just like anything else, sometimes certain "things" are a "bargain." However, if their popularity increases to the point of being a "necessity" it's certain they won't be a bargain any longer.
The EVers think the little surcharges that states are starting to put on license fees for EVs are their "penalty." It hasn't even started...

Of course, I don't predict the majority of tires on the road will be EV in 5 years. Even 10 seems a stretch, but even if it's 50% at 10 years from now, that's half the gas tax gone. $150/year for EV tags will cover about, none of that loss.

Take the free lunch while it lasts. I do the same, just differently than EV owners. Difference is, I'm clear headed and forward thinking enough to realize that what is a bargain today may not or will not be tomorrow.


2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

blofgren

Surrey, B.C.

Senior Member

Joined: 11/26/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/30/22 10:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

I won't be standing in line


I would sure love to try one out. I had the chance to have a F-150 Powerboost for a weekend last year and loved it! It was one fast little truck. I can only imagine what the Lightning is like! [emoticon]


2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 15  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Ford stops taking orders on the lightening
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.