RV.Net Open Roads Forum: One Day Entry Fee Increase - RMNP

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

 > One Day Entry Fee Increase - RMNP

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
4runnerguy

Glenwood Springs, CO

Senior Member

Joined: 03/10/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/04/22 10:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My goodness. What a lot of commotion over $2.00. How much did you spend to fill your fuel tank last time? How much did your rig cost? How much do you spend a night at your last stop at an RV park?

This timed reservation system is in place to make for a better-quality visit. So more time sightseeing and less time waiting in line at the entrance and easier to find parking once in the park. With the timed reservation system in place at Arches, I'd guess the line at the entrance station is 25% of what it was a couple of years ago.

From their website, visitation at RMNP increased 42% in seven years. But there wasn't a 42% increase in parking spaces nor will they be making Trail Ridge Road four lane anytime in the near (or even distant) future.

You can do like we did at Arches: ride your bike into the park. No timed entrance permit required. The ride up Fall River Road is quite scenic and the coast back down from the top of Trail Ridge Road is exhilarating.


Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)


dodge guy

Bartlett IL

Senior Member

Joined: 03/23/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/04/22 06:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4runnerguy wrote:

My goodness. What a lot of commotion over $2.00. How much did you spend to fill your fuel tank last time? How much did your rig cost? How much do you spend a night at your last stop at an RV park?

This timed reservation system is in place to make for a better-quality visit. So more time sightseeing and less time waiting in line at the entrance and easier to find parking once in the park. With the timed reservation system in place at Arches, I'd guess the line at the entrance station is 25% of what it was a couple of years ago.

From their website, visitation at RMNP increased 42% in seven years. But there wasn't a 42% increase in parking spaces nor will they be making Trail Ridge Road four lane anytime in the near (or even distant) future.

You can do like we did at Arches: ride your bike into the park. No timed entrance permit required. The ride up Fall River Road is quite scenic and the coast back down from the top of Trail Ridge Road is exhilarating.


Yes, $2 here ,$2 there it all adds up. I have the class A I have because I watch what I spend.
And the times reservation system doesn’t make for a better quality visit for me, I wanted to get into RMNP early, but because I had no cell coverage I lost out on an early visit so I was stuck with 3:00. So yes, it is a piss poor idea.


Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!


cptqueeg

Idaho

Senior Member

Joined: 04/11/2020

View Profile



Posted: 05/05/22 08:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^if you want Bear Road access entry before 5am is unregulated and non Bear Road access is unregulated before 9am so you could have actually done exactly as you desired.

But you're lack of planning doesn't mean the system doesn't provide a higher quality visit for many or most or is a "piss poor idea."

The $2 goes to rec.gov to support the web page and the many phone service personnel they employ.

Crowding is just a fact of life, get over it.

Thunder Mountain

Lost in the Four Corners

Senior Member

Joined: 02/09/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 05/06/22 07:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thom02099 wrote:

In addition to the fee increase and the continuation of timed entry, the shuttles are also coming back. Will also be starting the weekend of May 27th and run into October. Free shuttles, easy to get to Bear Lake area from a variety of starting points.


Read the press release in the Estes Park News this week. Even the Hiker Shuttle is subject to the timed entry fee.


2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

Thom02099

Loveland,CO

Senior Member

Joined: 02/25/2014

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 05/08/22 06:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thunder Mountain wrote:

Thom02099 wrote:

In addition to the fee increase and the continuation of timed entry, the shuttles are also coming back. Will also be starting the weekend of May 27th and run into October. Free shuttles, easy to get to Bear Lake area from a variety of starting points.


Read the press release in the Estes Park News this week. Even the Hiker Shuttle is subject to the timed entry fee.


Correct. This was released after my original post. Also, it looks like the shuttle will be running direct from the EP Visitor's Center to Bear Lake as an express, with no stops at the campgrounds or other hiking trailheads. I'll need to check further on this as I was counting on the shuttles from Glacier Basin to Bear Lake area.


2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Microlite Mike

NW Washington State

New Member

Joined: 10/31/2021

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/09/22 11:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

Yes, but it sucks because they are charging for something we are already paying for!


True, we are paying for the NP's. Unfortunately the money we're paying isn't going to the parks. It gets re-directed to the usual "Pork Projects".

Same for State Parks where I live.

Here's an interesting read on what's happened to National Parks over the years:

https://www.perc.org/2016/04/25/national-parks-lost-in-the-wilds-of-neglect/

One thing to note, fees collected at a park don't remain in the park (budget). They go to wherever the political winds blow them.


"Knowledge is realizing that the street is one-way, wisdom is looking both directions anyway."


~ Albert Einstein

cptqueeg

Idaho

Senior Member

Joined: 04/11/2020

View Profile



Posted: 05/09/22 12:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Microlite Mike wrote:



Unfortunately the money we're paying isn't going to the parks. It gets re-directed to the usual "Pork Projects".

One thing to note, fees collected at a park don't remain in the park (budget). They go to wherever the political winds blow them.


That's not what the NPS says.


https://www.nps.gov/aboutus/fees-at-work.htm

Microlite Mike

NW Washington State

New Member

Joined: 10/31/2021

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/09/22 05:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cptqueeg wrote:

Microlite Mike wrote:



Unfortunately the money we're paying isn't going to the parks. It gets re-directed to the usual "Pork Projects".

One thing to note, fees collected at a park don't remain in the park (budget). They go to wherever the political winds blow them.


That's not what the NPS says.


https://www.nps.gov/aboutus/fees-at-work.htm


This tells a little different story:

https://www.npca.org/articles/832-background-the-economics-of-national-parks

Quote:

There has been more than a 7%, or $173 million reduction in the account to operate national parks and more than a 12%, or $364 million reduction in the total budget for the National Park Service over the last five years in today’s dollars.
The park service’s deferred maintenance backlog has steadily been growing, now at $11.5 billion. Projects are continually added to the backlog in part due to insufficient operations funding to ensure needed day-to-day maintenance. The backlog has also grown because of a steady decline in the ‘construction’ account. Over the last decade, there has been a 62% or $227 million decline in that account in today’s dollars.


cptqueeg

Idaho

Senior Member

Joined: 04/11/2020

View Profile



Posted: 05/09/22 05:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Microlite Mike wrote:

cptqueeg wrote:

Microlite Mike wrote:



Unfortunately the money we're paying isn't going to the parks. It gets re-directed to the usual "Pork Projects".

One thing to note, fees collected at a park don't remain in the park (budget). They go to wherever the political winds blow them.


That's not what the NPS says.


https://www.nps.gov/aboutus/fees-at-work.htm


This tells a little different story:

https://www.npca.org/articles/832-background-the-economics-of-national-parks

Quote:

There has been more than a 7%, or $173 million reduction in the account to operate national parks and more than a 12%, or $364 million reduction in the total budget for the National Park Service over the last five years in today’s dollars.
The park service’s deferred maintenance backlog has steadily been growing, now at $11.5 billion. Projects are continually added to the backlog in part due to insufficient operations funding to ensure needed day-to-day maintenance. The backlog has also grown because of a steady decline in the ‘construction’ account. Over the last decade, there has been a 62% or $227 million decline in that account in today’s dollars.



Nowhere in your cited 7 year old article does it say that the park fees are going anywhere but to the NPs which is your contention.

That doesn't mean Congress can't cut additional funding as it sees fit which is what the article you posted says.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

 > One Day Entry Fee Increase - RMNP
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.