RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Cummins 6.7L Gasoline Engine in a Ram?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Cummins 6.7L Gasoline Engine in a Ram?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
ShinerBock

LVTX

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/22 08:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Haven't been on this forum in a while so I am not sure if this has been discussed in the past few months.

Back In February, Cummins unveiled their new fuel-agnostic strategy meaning that various engines in their line-up can be spec'd for different fuel types like propane, natural gas, hydrogen, and yes even gasoline. To clarify, that doesn't mean that one engine can run on all of these fuel sources, but rather you can have them spec'd to run on one of these fuels only and not just diesel.

These engines will share 80% of their parts. From the head down these engines will be mostly the same as the current Cummins diesel. From the head up you will have different parts to for the various fuel types along with different fuel and air delivery systems. So essentially you will have the same reliable diesel engine components, but in gasoline form.

They said that the B6.7L will be the first to be offered with its fuel-agnostic strategy in 2024. Medium duty customers will be able to spec the B6.7L to run on gasoline. I am not sure what plans Ram has for the 6.4L, but I would love to see a gasoline powered Cummins 6.7L turbo in a Ram HD. Not sure how they will handle the heat associated with gasoline turbo engines.

What do you think?

Cummins unveils fuel-agnostic internal combustion engine strategy

Cummins 6.7-liter gas engine part of new fuel agnostic strategy

* This post was last edited 04/29/22 08:35am by ShinerBock *   View edit history

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

rjstractor

Maple Valley, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/22 08:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds really interesting! It's early in the morning, but Ima gonna go pop up some popcorn....

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/22 09:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My question who would buy such an expensive Gas Engine???

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ShinerBock

LVTX

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/22 09:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

With today's prices, I am not surprised anymore on what people will pay for stuff. Many will lay down $11k to go from a base trim package to a premium without batting an eye.

Although I don't think this would be nearly as expensive as the Cummins diesel. You would not need a lot of the emissions equipment which would reduce a lot of cost and weight. You would also not need iron heads, a VG turbo, as large of an EGR and fuels system. So there could be a lot of cost and weight savings in a gas version.

larry barnhart

wenatchee. wa usa

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/22 10:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

With today's prices, I am not surprised anymore on what people will pay for stuff. Many will lay down $11k to go from a base trim package to a premium without batting an eye.

Although I don't think this would be nearly as expensive as the Cummins diesel. You would not need a lot of the emissions equipment which would reduce a lot of cost and weight. You would also not need iron heads, a VG turbo, as large of an EGR and fuels system. So there could be a lot of cost and weight savings in a gas version.

good to have you back shiner. chevman

chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/30/22 04:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are a lot of turbo gassers out there. They do tend to be on the small side but the drag guys are building dual turbo big block hot rods also.
I think it's good that Cummmins is thinking ahead to the future. We'll see what fruit that tree bears.

2005 Cummins 3500 2WD LB quad cab dually pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL

thomas201

Eastern Panhandle WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/30/22 05:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought a herd of Kubota diesel engines converted to casing head gas, to power pump jacks on oil wells. Honda gasoline engines just self destructed. They did not have enough cooling in the heads. They were designed with the evaporation of gasoline in mind for some cooling. If your ran them at max horsepower, they just could not cut it.

So, they might have a market, but I don't think it would be real big. Interesting though, assuming you get Cummins support. Would truck owners buy a gas engine, at diesel engine prices???

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/22 06:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just another example for the future of diesel.

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"200k Mile Club"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/22 06:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

It sounds like there's a lot of common parts on these engine configurations so there was engineering cost savings, tooling savings, and I suspect all these engine configurations will be produced on the same assembly line as the diesel engine so that should equate to more savings.

So overall less investment and operations costs to bring these engine configurations to the market should mean a less expensive engine.

* This post was edited 04/30/22 09:50am by FishOnOne *

Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/22 08:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wouldn’t the fuel economy of a 6.7 turbo gas engine make almost unaffordable?

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Cummins 6.7L Gasoline Engine in a Ram?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.