RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Lifepo4 float setting?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Lifepo4 float setting?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Itinerant1

Itinerant

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/22 10:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BFL13 wrote:

StirCrazy if your claim is that the Solacity guy's info is just a sales pitch with wrong info about LFPs, it is your job to provide links to the correct, more credible, version of that information to prove your claim.

FWIW, I don't read it as a sales pitch, and I am one who got all kinds of abuse from you LFP guys on here last year or so for my complaints about LFP sales pitches having bogus info.

I am still getting abuse from 3-tons. [emoticon] Meanwhile he just used the Solacity guy as a reference in a recent post in this thread (13 May at 0732), and then when after that, I used the Solacity guy as a ref, he said that guy is not to be believed! Makes you laugh.

When I posted test results of my various field tests of various RV equipments to show what they did, I had to explain how I measured things to indicate how credible those results were.

It is no good making arm- wavy claims about LFP performance without any graphs , tables, and especially the whole scenario for how those measurements were made.

EG, if I had LFPs I would already have run some cycles and made graphs to see what really happens at various charging rates same as I did years ago to make my ugly graph using FLAs. Barre's book on 12v taught me how to do that.

So let's see some graphs and tables you LFP guys have made from your measurements and indicate how you got those numbers so they can be peer reviewed here by guys who can see if your results are credible.

itinerant1 has posted many tables of how his system performs, but they don't show graphs of charging profiles at various rates with times, which the Solacity guy claims to have seen but did not show.

12v 500ah (5,120Wh usable), 20 cells_ 4s5p (GBS LFMP battery system). 8 CTI 160 watt panels (1,280 watts)2s4p,Panels mounted flat. Magnum PT100 SCC, Magnum 3012 hybrid inverter, ME-ARC 50. Installed 4/2016 been on 24/7/365, daily 35-45% DOD 2,000+ cycles.

Itinerant1

Itinerant

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/22 11:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's because I'm living off my system and don't have the time to be a weekend worrior scientist making graphs, there is recorded data that time after time shows the same thing after 6 years of everyday use and many cycles in whatever SOC using high draw item for long periods. It works what I'm doing.

I find these threads amusing when everyone is bringing in different beliefs from different websites or blogs or sales page's.

I know one thing for sure, right or wrong, which I believe is good enough for "my" prupose of living off of solar/ lfp batteries with solar being the main charging source. 14.1v absorb 10 minutes tops but 6 minutes is usally when it switches to flaot at 13.6v. I have constant draws of 2ah from inverter (never turned off) and a humidifier 7ah on 24/7, total of 9ah always drawing then add in all the other comforts of life. I don’t scimp on power, some might even say wasteful but it's there to waste without worry. [emoticon]

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/22 11:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Itinerant1, yes you are not in a position to do the sort of testing and make the kind of graphs I would like to see. Some other guys could though. Just not the kind of thing many guys would like to do it seems.

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/22 11:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Itinerant1 wrote:

That's because I'm living off my system and don't have the time to be a weekend worrior scientist making graphs, there is recorded data that time after time shows the same thing after 6 years of everyday use and many cycles in whatever SOC using high draw item for long periods. It works what I'm doing.

I find these threads amusing when everyone is bringing in different beliefs from different websites or blogs or sales page's.

I know one thing for sure, right or wrong, which I believe is good enough for "my" prupose of living off of solar/ lfp batteries with solar being the main charging source. 14.1v absorb 10 minutes tops but 6 minutes is usally when it switches to flaot at 13.6v. I have constant draws of 2ah from inverter (never turned off) and a humidifier 7ah on 24/7, total of 9ah always drawing then add in all the other comforts of life. I don’t scimp on power, some might even say wasteful but it's there to waste without worry. [emoticon]

Pretty much..Even though I am not living off grid as I did for years in fifth wheels/motorhomes and travel trailers now,I run my TC 24/7 as if I was using battery power and solar connected to two 12v compressor fridges and occasional microwave use and lot's of TV/DVD use..

The reason for my questions or questions,is after a year using LFP as portable power stations in smart battery boxes,I decided to replace my house AGM with one of the LFP,which I just did a while back..I unhooked shore power and 100% on solar with an extension cord ran in for the little heater I use when it is cold..

I haven't hooked up the shore power to the system yet because of the old converter I have and screwing up my alternator maybe..It will work but not just as well as a proper one for LFP..I plan on disconnecting the charge wire to the lance camper and just use solar and portable chargers to keep them up without worry of my alternator if rumors are correct about the damage LFP can cause...

If you don't ask a question you will be guessing,so I ask here knowing there is some real LFP knowledge here as stated above..

Thanks for the answers,much appreciated..

Lifepo4-380ah/Lithium NMC-140ah/Solar-400 watts/Wagan & Giandel PSW/Engel & Iceco 3-1 compressor fridge freezer/5K Window AC/Honda 2K

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/22 11:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BFL said, “ I am still getting abuse from 3-tons… Meanwhile he just used the Solacity guy as a reference in a recent post in this thread (13 May at 0732), and then when after that, I used the Solacity guy as a ref, he said that guy is not to be believed! Makes you laugh.”

True enough - My bad, I didn’t mean in any way to discredit Solacity’s info, I was only pointing to one’s lack of hands-on LFP evaluations…In my view, theory IS important, but Hands-on often trumps the theoretical, and to BFL (and others), therein lies my distress …Sorry for any unintentional keyboard confusion…

3 tons

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/22 12:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As a practical matter, looong running LFP personal testaments and anecdote's are no substitute for extensive bench testing, therefore I believe the only possible way satisfy BFL’s thirst at nuance (based on past threads and continuously evolving goal post - IMO…), may be for him to obtain his own LFP and conduct his own extensive test regiment and report back*… However, I presume that soliciting funds to this end is against forum rules…

*(hopefully improved over the Vector-dueling charge controller test…)

3 tons

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/22 12:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not to be naggy, but (since SiO2’s have already been mentioned…), I wonder if BFL may have done some similar extensive ‘nuts & bolts’ bench-top vetting of his SiO2 (with BFL, highly likely!), and if so, perhaps he might be willing to share his findings with us??…Nothing wrong with asking I hope, and may serve well to refute a few SiO2 misnomers….Just a random thought…

3 tons

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/22 01:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3 tons wrote:

Not to be naggy, but (since SiO2’s have already been mentioned…), I wonder if BFL may have done some similar extensive ‘nuts & bolts’ bench-top vetting of his SiO2 (with BFL, highly likely!), and if so, perhaps he might be willing to share his findings with us??…Nothing wrong with asking I hope, and may serve well to refute a few SiO2 misnomers….Just a random thought…

3 tons

Did that around Nov 2020 and later. I can't work the archives with any luck, but you can try.

Not for this thread though!

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/22 02:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Agreed, a new thread would be ideal…

3 tons

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/22 02:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BFL13

Try a search from google (example)

sio2 bfl13 goodsam

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Lifepo4 float setting?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.